Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lens Upgrades?  (Read 1092 times)

steverap

• Rappaport Photography
Lens Upgrades?
« on: July 25, 2021, 11:05:36 am »

I am thinking of making the following gear changes: replacing my Sony FE 24-105 F4 G OSS with the faster Sigma 24-70 F2.8 DG DN Art Lens, and adding the Sony FE 50mm F1.2 GM prime. The Sigma zoom has gotten great reviews, so perhaps no loss in quality if I switch? Any experience with either the Sony 50mm prime or the Sigma zoom?

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
Re: Lens Upgrades?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2021, 04:08:50 pm »

FWIW, Sony has a 24-70mm f/2.8 G-Master lens that is truly excellent. More expensive than the Sigma I am sure but perhaps worth a look?

steverap

• Rappaport Photography
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2021, 04:33:02 pm »

I intend to rent the Sigma lens and run tests, but everything I've read says the Sigma Art lens is as good as and in some respects better than the Sony GM lens, for about half the price. I can probably sell my FE 24-105 f/4 G lens for what it would cost to buy the Sigma Art lens, and get a lens that is one stop faster.

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2021, 05:51:44 pm »

I intend to rent the Sigma lens and run tests, but everything I've read says the Sigma Art lens is as good as and in some respects better than the Sony GM lens, for about half the price. I can probably sell my FE 24-105 f/4 G lens for what it would cost to buy the Sigma Art lens, and get a lens that is one stop faster.

Sigma does make some great lenses. I was considering the Sony 100-400 GM, which my wife has, and then tried the Sigma equivalent. We did some comparisons and could see no difference. 1/2 stop slower, less than half the price! Now my favorite lens.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2021, 11:11:08 pm »

I hear very good things about the 50mm f1.2 GM.

Cheers,
Bernard

Joe Towner

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2021, 11:35:17 pm »

What body are you shooting with? What is your primary subject material? How does AF speed play into your decision?
t: @PNWMF

steverap

• Rappaport Photography
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2021, 11:09:44 am »

I shoot with a Sony a7R II. I am a creative photographer and my work is eclectic; easier to describe what it is not (landscape, portrait, social realism) than what it is (abstract, which hardly defines the work: steverap.com). In the bulk of my work, AF speed matters little, but the ability to shoot in low light situations does matter at times.
Pages: [1]   Go Up