Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: catalogue on a fast portable ssd between a laptop and desktop can it be done  (Read 2553 times)

stevebri

Hi all,

So with very fast Thunderbolt/Usb-c gen 2 drives I want to run my catalogue AND all my current files on one 2TB very fast portable drive. So if I'm on location, I make edits via the laptop, get home, switch the ssd to my desktop and carry on.

Can this be done.?

I made a quick test by copying 1TB of files, copied the current .cat folder all onto the ssd and took it with me and my laptop. Tried to open the .cat file in C1-20 on the laptop, only to be told it was currently in use by my desktop.

Is there a way to make the catalogue and files associated with it truly mobile...?

Many thanks in advance

Steve

MDL_SD

You don't specify your operating system (Windows or Mac) or the software, but I am presuming a Lightroom Classic catalog.  On Windows computers it is possible to do what you ask.  You need all of the catalog associated files on the portable ssd and the portable should have the same drive letter on both computers. 

I have never experienced the situation you describe, but I imagine that you did not close the program/catalog on one machine before moving the ssd to the other?

Good luck.

stevebri

Thanks MDL, I posted this in the Capture One Q&A hoping it would clarify my software as being Capture One.

In short I want my whole catalogue, plus the actual raw files on one portable super fast ssd.
That way I can use my PC and or Laptop to work on my images. I am trying to move away from having my catalogue and files on my PC, in my office.
Then when working on location, shooting to my laptop as a session, editing those files, then importing that session into my catalogue when I get home.

It shouldn't matter if its PC or MAC, its about two computers having access to one catalogue, though not at the same time.

Apologies if my initial question was not clearer.

The PC with the catalogue is closed.

S

tomrock

• http://tomrockwell.com

Yes, it can be done. This is how I manage my files.

One time I had CO tell me a catalog was in use and there's a file I needed to delete to fix it. This is the article I read.

https://support.captureone.com/hc/en-us/articles/360002387017-What-does-the-error-message-Unable-to-Open-Catalog-The-catalog-is-currently-in-use-by-appear-

This doesn't have anything to do with having the catalog and files on an external drive. It's just something that happened to me one time. I don't remember what happened.

You may have to show CO where your original files are the first time you open the catalog. Right-click your top-level folder and choose Locate...

stevebri

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the reply, yes it was a glitch when I closed CO one my desktop and copied the cat to the SSD, I don't think it had closed properly hence it not working on another machine.

I simply opened it as usual on the desktop, shut it down. waited, copied it to the SSD and wallah... it works wherever the ssd is plugged into.

For clarification, the 2TB SSD has about 1.3TB of original raw's on it and my catalogue is built on those files.

Its very portable and takes away the need for an on location session, later to be brought into the catalogue.

Now things are getting busier I'll see what the limitations of this system are but currently, on a tethered shoot for a client, at the end of the shoot, I have two copies of the shoot, one in my pocket on a fast external SSD.

Steve

sheldenwhobrey

You can use the different software to adjust these directories correctly, so you will not have any issues with the transferred files. Also, remember that it is better to use the applications like Total Commander to adjust the file transfer in the right order without copies. Last year I transferred around 2 TBs of information on my core SSD. I faced the issue that my disk just shut down, so I needed to address the Laptop screen repair Poole service to fix the problem, which cost an additional 400$ for this operation, so in case you don't want to pay for repairs, proceed with the files transfer carefully.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2022, 09:31:34 am by sheldenwhobrey »

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos

For whatever this is worth, my Windows 10 operated desktop with around 600gb of photos and videos failed.  I had been backing them up with a 4 TB USB plugin hard drive from WD called My Passport.  When I bought the new Windows 11 operating desktop, the photos and the LR 6 purchased IRCAT files transferred perfectly with all edits available. 

The only change I made was the new machine had a different User name.  So I had to rename the old name location of the IRCAT and photo file folders to the new User name section in the desktop.

stevebri

Well done Alan...!

Nice to safely copy everything over. A weight off your mind.

I have an update to this old ish thread:

I have been running a 4TB Samsung EVO SSD in a portable enclosure with a USB type C Gen2 or Thunderbolt connector.  Both my laptop and desktop have those fast ports, so its easy to close down C1, unplug the ssd, take it to the desktop, reopen C1 on that machine and carry on.

It does work and has been glitch free.

Arlen

I've been doing what you describe, but with Lightroom instead of Capture One, between two Windows 10 computers for several years. It works fine if set up properly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up