Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lens rental  (Read 887 times)

vrkaya

Lens rental
« on: July 15, 2021, 03:31:23 pm »

Hi,

Looking to rent a Canon lens (probably 70-200mm IS III) and I've never used any of the online rental businesses? Anyone have a particular favorite?

Thanks,
Ron

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
Re: Lens rental
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2021, 12:14:05 am »

Lensrentals.com. Fast, easy, good pricing with or without insurance. A simple contract that seems fair.
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2021, 09:14:36 am »

Agreed. I have had several excellent experiences with them.

vrkaya

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2021, 07:19:28 pm »

Thanks, Larry and Peter. I appreciate the advice!

Ron

Eric Brody

• http://www.ericbrodyphoto.com
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2021, 12:00:35 pm »

When possible, I rent from my local store here in Portland (OR). If you rent on Thursday and return on Monday, the cost is a one day fee, quite reasonable, and I'm supporting a local business. I just rented the Sony 85GM for an event and it was great.

If it's not available here, as was the case with the Sony 12-24 f/2.8GM and the Sony 50 f/1.2GM, Lens Rentals is my first choice. They're real pros. The lenses arrive pristine in a hard case, the procedure for return is straightforward and the price is reasonable.

Good luck.

Eric

Joe Towner

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2021, 02:09:49 pm »

LensRentals.com is evil (/s). They let keep the rentals for the right price (keeper).  I've done way too much business with them over the years.  If there is a local shop, support them as much as you can, but for everything else, there's LensRentals.
t: @PNWMF

John Hollenberg

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2021, 11:28:32 am »

Several years ago I purchased a 35mm Sony lens for APS-C from their sister site lensauthority.com.  It was rated 9+ by them.  The left 1/3 of the lens was horrible, the worst I have ever seen even compared to kit lenses.  Lens was obviously defective and it wasn't a subtle problem.  Returned it immediately. Apparently when they rate a lens it is for outward cosmetics rather than image quality.  Conclusion: trust but verify lens quality.

vrkaya

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2021, 05:33:46 pm »

For other users, I thought I would relate my experience with Lensrental.com

I rented a Canon 70-200mm lens for a wedding job I had on July 24, 2021. The quality of the lens I received was just fine, no problem at all with the lens, and it comes in a very secure protective case.

When I placed my order I wanted the lens delivered on Thursday, July 22nd; decided on a 4-day rental; and so it was due to be returned on Monday, July 26th.

FEDEX is the ONLY shipper available from lens rental.com and UPS normally does a much better job in my area.

The lens delivery requires a signature so I had to stay home on the 22nd to sign for the lens.

When I originally placed and paid for my rental, Lensrental advised the lens would be shipped on Monday, July 19th. For some reason, it was not shipped until Tuesday, July 20th.

After placing and paying for my order I received an email from Lensrental on Monday advising I was required to answer some questions about my business and what I intended to use the lens for before my order would be "approved". I found this a bit perplexing since the questions were sort of like a "survey" that they made me do to have the lens shipped. And I normally do not check my email daily and it was fortunate that I found this email to get my lens rental "approved".

On Thursday, my lens was supposed to arrive and I waited all day and then late in the day I received a text notification from FEDEX that my delivery was now delayed. This was after being told during the day that the lens was due today. I contacted Lensrental with multiple emails and they promptly apologized for the problem but did not seem to have any more power then I did to correct the issue with Fedex. Tracking showed that my lens was at a Fedex facility less then  30 miles away and I wanted to just go pick it up, but when I telephoned Fedex I could only use an automated system and though I entered the tracking number they requested, I received the same information that I had in the text. I could not find a way to talk to a human being and ask is it there at your facility?; how late are you open?; and can you hold it there so I can just pick it up?

So.....I had to stay home again the next day because I was notified by Fedex once again that it would be delivered today and required a signature. Around 1 pm it was actually delivered and signed for.

Since my delivery arrived a day late, my "send back" date was moved to Tuesday, the 27th. I shipped the lens back with the pre-printed label at my Fedex Store (which is located in Walgreens where I live). I received a confirmation text from Fedex that they had received the package.

Later that day I received an email from lensrental that my return of the lens was overdue. I replied with a screenshot of the confirmation text I had received from Fedex and said I had already shipped the lens back to them. Lensrental replied with an apology for the automated email.

About a week later, I received an email from Lensrental that the lens had arrived.

So, though it worked out for me because I deliberately wanted it to arrive TWO days before my job, the process was not as smooth as I had hoped so just be aware of these factors. If I had not had the one day "buffer" it would not have arrived in time for my job. The staff at Lensrental were very responsive. I just did like having to be "approved" by providing my business survey information prior to them shipping it to me after I had an already confirmed and paid for order with them. I also wish they had UPS as a delivery option.

Though the "keep" price of the lens was reasonable the same lens was available online for a couple hundred dollars less - for a comparable condition BUT Lensrental does offer a 90 day warranty, which was above what could be found for a used lens online.

Regards,
Ron

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2021, 06:21:09 pm »

The lens delivery requires a signature so I had to stay home on the 22nd to sign for the lens.

A good way to handle delivery-signature requirements is to divert the package to a local retail outlet and set up a notification to alert you when the package is available for pick-up; both FedEx and UPS offer these options on their websites.

Joe Towner

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2021, 08:10:41 pm »

There were issues with UPS a few years ago for LR - if I recall there was a number of item stolen in transit thru a certain market.
t: @PNWMF

vrkaya

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2021, 09:29:30 pm »

Thanks for those suggestions. I used to be able to phone the nearest Fedex ship center but for some reason it is now only automated. I did not mind staying home for the one day waiting (I work a lot from home) but was concerned when it did not arrive.

But thanks for the tips! UPS is really good where I'm at and have fortunately not had anything stolen or not arrive.

Regards
Ron
Pages: [1]   Go Up