Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DVD Slide Show---Format?  (Read 1688 times)

Dave Gurtcheff

DVD Slide Show---Format?
« on: July 13, 2021, 05:22:31 pm »

I am not sure where to post this:

I made a 35 minute slide show with music. I used PTE AVStudio 10. I have given it to friends, family, and Photo customers who have purchased my work. At home we use it with our DVD Player to watch it on our flat screen TV.  It looks and sounds great. It seems that Home DVD Players are becoming a thing of the past. Many folks that I gave the disk to said they did not have a DVD player on their TV.  Some tried putting it in their CD/DVD drive on their lap top PC. That does not work at all, and I was aware of that when I chose the output format. As a learning experience, I just re-published to a DVD disk and saved it as an EXE file, as that is what the documentation says will work on a computer. Well it does work, if my  friends/family are able to search their PC and find the DVD file and double click on it. It even took me a few minutes to find it on my own PC. What I really need is a format that will play on a TV DVD Player and also to Auto Run on a PC. (Sorry I am not a Mac man and have no clue as to watching it on a Mac). The program has limited publishing options. Before the Pandemic we used to rent DVD movies from "Red Box" and other places. Since then we subscribe to Netflix, etc from our Cable Company, and never rent movies, and rarely use our DVD player. At a loss here folks, any suggestions? Background: 84 year old retired engineer and amateur photographer.
Dave in NJ
My web site:
www.modernpictorials.com

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
Re: DVD Slide Show---Format?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2021, 03:37:30 am »

Hello Dave.
Most laptops don't have a dvd drive anymore, nor do most tvs as far as I know. I suspect that the only format that will be a little more future proof is an mp4 video on a usb flash drive.
That's the method I use most of the time now for PTE slideshows. I either get a bunch of cheap usb drives or ask for them back after use.
Edit: or you could load your mp4 slideshow up to a private Youtube (or similar) channel
« Last Edit: July 17, 2021, 05:54:31 pm by David Sutton »

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2021, 01:17:12 am »

What David said. You can get USB drives printed with your brand on them.
I have converted every movie I have now to MP4.

When I bought my 2013 iMac it did not have a DVD so I bought an external DVD drive for it. After the first six months I doubt that I have used it 5 times since. DVD is Dead Video Distribution.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

Dave Gurtcheff

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2021, 11:11:13 pm »

Thanks all: I agree DVD players on TV sets are disappearing. After I bought a stand alone DVD burner that burns 5 at a time!!! I did save the file as an MP4 and uploaded it to Youtube, and was able to put the link on Facebook and email the link to friends.  It did (and still does) give me great pleasure to give friends, family and clients a DVD with jewel case and full color cover. Cover is here:

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2021, 11:02:30 am »

I switched over from DVDs to dumping my video and slide shows onto a memory card.   The card plugs into the USB jack on the smart 4K TV.   I have numerous shows on the card so I can call up any of the shows immediately from the TV clicker.  Make sure you use a memory card that handles 4K video speed and data requirements.  One other thing.  Your TV has to handle the format.  So if there's a problem with that, you may have to convert the original format you created to one that the TV accepts.  There are free apps that do that.

I've also downloaded a few shows to Youtube which can be played by calling up the link on the smart TV just like any other streaming service.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDzogShfhgCHh2rVvEsFOJQ

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2021, 11:06:14 am »

After you download the video to Youtube, just provide your customer with the link to call up your specific show.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2021, 11:11:39 am »

Here's what that looks like:  All the preview clips are part of dressing up my show.  It's not required and not part of Youtube requirements. You can start your show immediately.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dG-pdrIj078

Dave Gurtcheff

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2021, 11:18:37 am »

Thanks Alan, very impressive. Here is a link to Youtube with my slide show. It is very long, about 35 minutes and over 500 images,
Dave

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckRnDzKJaxY

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2021, 11:33:47 am »

Dave.  The pictures are wonderful.  A labor of love. You have a great eye. I think your dad's were better? The BWs have a certain look about them. ;)  Alan.

Dave Gurtcheff

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2021, 04:08:57 pm »

Thanks Alan. My Dad's work is terrific.
Dave ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up