Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Capture One 21 Basics for Import and Delete  (Read 1950 times)

RT

Capture One 21 Basics for Import and Delete
« on: July 12, 2021, 09:59:08 pm »

Hi,

I've just started using Capture One 21 and I have a couple of questions that I can't seem to find answers to on their website, user manual or any other resources.  These are pretty basic but the solutions seem to elude me.

1. Once I've created a Catalogue, how do I add additional photos to the existing catalog without importing everything again.  For example, I have an existing catalog called  "New Work" which I use for all new photos I take.  So tomorrow I go out for a walk and take several shots of street scenes.  How do I add the new photos and only the new photos to the existing catalog?

2. I'm now in my existing catalogue of "New Work" and I want to delete several of the photos that I initially thought I'd keep, but now want to get rid of them and I want to delete them from my hard disk as well.  Currently, when I delete something for the catalogue, it does not delete it from the folder on my hard drive as well.  How do I do that at the same time as deleting from the catalog?

Thanks,

Rene

LeonD

Re: Capture One 21 Basics for Import and Delete
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2021, 09:27:38 am »

Hi Rene,

1. Assuming your new photos are on removable media, connect it to you computer.  Then in CO, click on Import.  In the section Import From, select your removable media.  There's options to import everything or to exclude duplicates.

2.  If I want to delete photo from both the catalog and disk, I highlight the photo(s) and press the control+command+delete keys.  A box opens asking if I want to delete the selected photos from the catalog or the catalog and disk.  I'm on a Mac so your keys might be different if you're using Windows.

Leon

RT

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2021, 10:09:45 pm »

Hi Leon,

Thanks for trying to help me. I followed your advice to the letter and tried following the instructions from the Capture One user guide, but to know avail.  Here's what happens:  There's no problem importing to a new catalog.  However, when I try to add to a catalogue, I can't seem to do it.  In fact, in this last round of trying to add new files to the existing catalog, I lost access to all the previous files, as in they seemed to be erased and I was left only with the added files.  Do you have any idea what I'm doing wrong?  Is there a step I'm missing somehow?

UnfamiliarLight

• Unfamiliar Light
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2021, 04:26:00 pm »

In the Library windows - usually on the left hand side of the application there is a Recent Imports group and after you import something to a catalogue it selects that collection in the library. This means you see the newest images you imported first.

To see the previous imported images you can select one of the other recent imports collections.

Or you can select the All Images collection which is at the top.

Under those is a series of User Collections which I forget if it has some pre populated or not.

Last is a section called Folders which has the directory tree where your images are stored on you HDs

Any one of those sections can be collapsed which means you don't see the contents you can click on for example if you see "> Folders" click on the '>' symbol and it will show you the folder structure where you images are located. From there you can select and folder you like and see the images in that folder.

RT

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2021, 03:19:41 pm »

Hi UnfamiliarLight,

Thank you so much for solving my problem.  Your very clear response walked me through it in just the way I needed. I wish Capture One had made this explicit in the Import section in the user guide.
Pages: [1]   Go Up