Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: z3200 won't recognize Printhead  (Read 1740 times)

mfrohman

z3200 won't recognize Printhead
« on: July 10, 2021, 07:58:17 pm »

I'm having an issue with one of my z3200s not accepting a new M/Y printhead. I've tried several new printheads but always get the error message to 'replace faulty printhead'. I'm guessing the problem is not actually the printhead but I'm not sure what else to check. In many years of troubleshooting my z3200s I've never had this issue.

I've unplugged the printer overnight a few times and cleaned the contacts for the printheads. Any ideas what could be causing the printhead rejection?

thanks
« Last Edit: July 13, 2021, 04:03:23 pm by mfrohman »
2 x HP Z3200, Canon 4100, Epson p-800

sportmaster

Re: z3200 won't recognize Printhead streak troubleshoot
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2021, 11:59:50 pm »

Low ink will cause rejection.

GST

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2021, 02:09:28 pm »

Sometimes the issue doesnt come from the reported head, but another one.
Take them all out and put them back in one by one.

mfrohman

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2021, 09:30:06 pm »

I checked all the ink cartridge levels and also pulled all heads and cartridges and put them back in. They all beep when installing the printheads and it seems to accept it but then continuously goes back into printhead replacement mode.

I do use the 300ml cartridge hack on LC, LM, LG, and MK but I've been doing so for years without an issue.

Mark Lindquist

• it’s not about the photos we take - it’s the ones we leave
    • LINDQUIST STUDIOS
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2021, 01:12:18 pm »

I checked all the ink cartridge levels and also pulled all heads and cartridges and put them back in. They all beep when installing the printheads and it seems to accept it but then continuously goes back into printhead replacement mode.

I do use the 300ml cartridge hack on LC, LM, LG, and MK but I've been doing so for years without an issue.

It's stuck in a loop. I believe you'll need to get new or good expired Yellow and Magenta cartridges. At this point, I'd bite the bullet and buy all new printheads and replace them all. Start from scratch as you indicated you did before, then put all your cartridges in first as it prompts you, then put in the printheads. That should fix it, then you can go back to your hack if you want, I would think. The Z's need to be able to get back to square one every now and then - I've seen it so many times.
Treat them to new printheads and they become happy. Plus it saves problems in the long run.
Best -
Mark
Mark Lindquist
http://z3200.com, http://MarkLindquistPhotography.com
Lindquist Studios.com

mfrohman

Re: z3200 won't recognize Printhead
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2021, 03:25:06 pm »

Thanks for the response Mark, this sounds logical to me, it does seem to be stuck in a loop, looking for something. Most of the printheads are practically new so I think I'll try with all new 130ml cartridges first and if that doesn't do it, all new printheads as well. It will be an experiment, I'll report back.

thanks for the suggestion!

mfrohman

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2021, 10:15:04 pm »

So I finally got a batch of all new printheads and full or nearly full 80ml cartridges but I'm still getting an error on the M-Y printhead and the recurring prompt to replace the printheads just as before. I've tried 3 different new M-Y printheads (and tested them on my other machine) so I don't think the head is the source of the problem.

Any other ideas that I could try? are there advanced diagnostics I could run to track it down the failure? should I try to restore it too factory settings perhaps?

thanks

Mark Lindquist

• it’s not about the photos we take - it’s the ones we leave
    • LINDQUIST STUDIOS
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2021, 12:57:13 pm »

So I finally got a batch of all new printheads and full or nearly full 80ml cartridges but I'm still getting an error on the M-Y printhead and the recurring prompt to replace the printheads just as before. I've tried 3 different new M-Y printheads (and tested them on my other machine) so I don't think the head is the source of the problem.

Any other ideas that I could try? are there advanced diagnostics I could run to track it down the failure? should I try to restore it too factory settings perhaps?

thanks

As much as it's a PITA, if it was mine, I'd pull all printheads and carts out again and do another cleaning of the contacts on the machine again, then making sure the LAN cord is unplugged, start the machine back up from the rear switch. Let the printer ask for the cartridges, replace them one by one. Then let the printer ask for the printheads. Do them one at a time until it has asked for a glossy sheet to align the printheads. After this, if it keeps asking to reseat or replace the M-Y printhead just keep restarting from the panel until it takes it. This could take up to 3 or more times. Beyond that, call HP and tell them you have bought all new M-Y printheads and your machine accepts everything but that. They should warrant the printhead, and sometimes it leads to technical support on the machine - testing over the phone. Be nice but firm with tech support and they may help you even if the machine is out of warranty. Especially when you tell them you have bought all new printheads. I always buy my printheads from HP so it's hard for them to say no.

Other than that, repetitive restarts often will clear the problem. Good luck with it -

Mark
Mark Lindquist
http://z3200.com, http://MarkLindquistPhotography.com
Lindquist Studios.com

mfrohman

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2021, 01:06:33 pm »

Thank you Mark - this is great advice and I will try these steps. My machine's out of warranty but I always buy ink and heads direct from HP so that is a good tip. I will report back on how things turn out.

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2021, 01:41:20 pm »

The Y-M print head is the one that I have also seen problems with. You've done almost everything you can. If you reset the printer to a new installation and plug in the heads it may solve this. How, I cannot remember. HP tech support do though and should be able to walk you through this. You can use the new print head as it is under warranty.

mfrohman

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2023, 04:08:29 pm »

Making one last attempt to keep my z3200 going. I keep getting the prompt to replace printheads (see attached screenshot).

I've replaced all printheads and cartridges multiple times, primed the printhead valves, and done endless power cycles. It's been sitting for several months and I just fired it up and the same issue is still there.

Anyone have any other ideas? which part is likely to need changing? the carriage?

thanks for any ideas

GST

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2023, 06:44:21 am »

did you check the drop detector already? (Q5669-60666)
You could also try the drop detector calibration in the service menu.

regards

Johncharlesdean

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2023, 04:53:17 pm »

Reload the driver/ firmware combo software.

Replace the battery in the formatter board.

John

did you check the drop detector already? (Q5669-60666)
You could also try the drop detector calibration in the service menu.

regards

Loek49

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2023, 03:03:11 pm »

I also have this problem with multiple Z3200 Z3100 and Z2100 printers. Tried all the advice from this site, but still ask the printers to replace print heads.

mfrohman

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2023, 11:13:35 pm »

Yeah, I've tried so many things at this point and can't justify the time or buying new parts at this point, although I think they could be fixed. I'm listing them for free to anyone willing to take them away.
Pages: [1]   Go Up