Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: o'keeffe and stieglitz  (Read 641 times)

JerrySutherlin_5

o'keeffe and stieglitz
« on: July 08, 2021, 04:22:53 pm »

Several of my friends from Brooks Institute are have a decussion regarding the life of O'keeffe and Stieglitz. My  premise is that Stieglitz visited New Mexico with O'keeffe  but did not like it and never returned after the  initial visit. I have reviewed PBS and other  documentaries, as well as many articles finding no support. Does anyone have any insight in to thiss question?

Tronhard

• Photographing for 40 years, now retired
Re: o'keeffe and stieglitz
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2021, 03:53:40 pm »

I tend to agree with your perception. O'Keeffe was a very independent character, and really a precursor of the 'new woman' seen in such figures as Lee Miller.  Stieglitz wanted to stay in his familiar environment of NY city and he was slowing with age. O'Keeffe was far more comfortable in a more remote environment - and, of course, she was 24 years younger than Stieglitz: when they met she was 28 and he was 52.

I think she felt objectified by her initial and unconventional de facto relationship with Stieglitz and while she had married Stieglitz (she said only for appearance sake) she pursued her own agendas artistically, yet her efforts were dogged by the sexual innuendos applied to her works of flowers in particular - perhaps encouraged by her unabashed nude images captured and published by Stieglitz. He had, to a fair degree, morphed from a pure photographer into an art agent - bringing on both photographers and other modern artists in various genres from Europe and introducing them into the US culture through his exhibitions and publications.  Without doubt he was dedicated to O'Keeffe, but as in many relationships, I suspect the balance of dependence as somewhat asymmetric.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2021, 05:59:34 am by Tronhard »
"All the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy

John Camp

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2021, 01:29:21 pm »

I live in New Mexico and have a number of books about Stieglitz and O'Keeffe. I don't believe he ever came here. One of the books, "Two Lives, A Conversation in Paintings and Photographs" about the couple, includes a fairly comprehensive chronology of both, including trips that they took, and never suggests that Stieglitz went to New Mexico. However, in 1929, the first time O'Keefe went to New Mexico, she went with Paul Strand's wife. Could that be what chimed in your memory? Also, she had quite a relationship with Ansel Adams, including time in New Mexico. ("Moonrise, Hernandez New Mexico" was shot not far from O'Keefe's house.) So there were lots of photographers around. Also, while O'Keeffe went to New Mexico in 1929 and 1930, staying with a woman friend (Mabel Dodge Luhan) she did not return until 1934, by which time Stieglitz was in failing health. (He would have been 65 when O'Keeffe made her first trip to Taos, and 70 in 1934.)  He stopped taking photographs in 1937 and had a heart attack in 1938, and the journey to New Mexico, and especially to Taos, was not an easy one at the time. So, I don't think he ever came here.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2021, 03:39:00 pm »

The O'Keeffe Museum in  Santa Fe NM is quite interesting.  Her house, outside of Santa Fe in the desert I think, which my wife and I didn't get to visit, is suppose to be very interesting as well.

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2021, 08:19:04 pm »

The O'Keeffe Museum in  Santa Fe NM is quite interesting.

Yes, well worth a visit for anyone visiting Santa Fe.

Peter McLennan

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2021, 08:09:39 pm »

Her house, outside of Santa Fe in the desert I think, which my wife and I didn't get to visit, is suppose to be very interesting as well.

I've visited The Ghost Ranch.  Several times, in fact.  It is fascinating, photogenic and superbly located.  A very pleasant hour or so drive from Santa Fe.
Pages: [1]   Go Up