Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Calibrite taking over XRite products  (Read 4059 times)

Daverich

Calibrite taking over XRite products
« on: July 01, 2021, 12:56:28 pm »

I got an email from a company called Calibrite letting me know they are taking over sales and service for a number of XRite products but when I went to their web site I didn’t see any mention of i1Profiler. Does anyone know if XRite is going to maintain control of that or discontinue it? Or what it’s status is going to be going forward?

geneo

Re: Calibrite taking over XRite products
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2021, 03:47:47 pm »

I got an email from a company called Calibrite letting me know they are taking over sales and service for a number of XRite products but when I went to their web site I didn’t see any mention of i1Profiler. Does anyone know if XRite is going to maintain control of that or discontinue it? Or what it’s status is going to be going forward?

Got the same mail. Sounds to me like Calibrite is taking over the hardware and targets, with x-rite providing the software.

I doownloaded their color checker software and brought up the splash screen which was an X-Rite license agreement.  Didn't install it though.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2021, 03:55:05 pm by geneo »
Walk softly and carry a big lens

Doug Gray

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2021, 05:05:15 pm »

Calibrite is taking over the photo and video portion of XRite. I1Profiler will be renamed CCProfiler, I1Studio will be renamed CCStudio. . This marketing move is to associate the ColorChecker name with photo and video products. XRite is retaining the high end spectro products like i1iSis, I1Pro2 and I1Pro3 and i1Profiler for these products and will continue with i1Profiler supporting them as it focuses on printing.

Here's a video introducing the changes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHG8J45wdro

keithcooper

• Northlight Images
Calibrite taking over SOME XRite products
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2021, 05:39:14 pm »

The photo/video side is being moved to Calibrite.  That's Colorchecker targets and i1Studio along with display calibration/profiling.

The higher end stuff is staying with X-rite. BUT the range of i1profiler packages is being reduced, so no more i1Photo, just i1Publish AFAIK

The kit and software will initially just have new branding - it's all being made by the same people, but with different names/packaging.

I should note my personal involvement... I've tested new and pre-release stuff going back to GMB days and have long written articles/reviews on the full range of kit.  I've been asked to be an 'ambassador' for the new Calibrite business which is fine, but since I use an i1iO, iSis XL and i1Publish in my work, I'll also be sticking with X-rite for that side of stuff.

Redcrown

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2021, 01:16:39 am »

Could be good news. Maybe the calibration software will be fixed?

ColourPhil

• Colour Management by Phil Cruse
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2021, 02:46:31 am »

Could be good news. Maybe the calibration software will be fixed?
Glad someone's an optimist!
Be nice if i1Profiler saved and recalled ALL the Workflow settings.
Manuals might be helpful too!

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2021, 08:54:15 am »

Glad someone's an optimist!
Be nice if i1Profiler saved and recalled ALL the Workflow settings.
Changing names is small engineering <g>. 
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Daverich

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2021, 10:28:25 am »

Calibrite is taking over the photo and video portion of XRite. I1Profiler will be renamed CCProfiler, I1Studio will be renamed CCStudio. . This marketing move is to associate the ColorChecker name with photo and video products. XRite is retaining the high end spectro products like i1iSis, I1Pro2 and I1Pro3 and i1Profiler for these products and will continue with i1Profiler supporting them as it focuses on printing.

Here's a video introducing the changes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHG8J45wdro

Thanks for posting the link to the video. According to that, i1Profiler is being renamed CCProfiler but will no longer support printing. Any idea what I’m supposed to use for that going forward? I currently use i1Publish.

keithcooper

• Northlight Images
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2021, 11:12:48 am »

Thanks for posting the link to the video. According to that, i1Profiler is being renamed CCProfiler but will no longer support printing. Any idea what I’m supposed to use for that going forward? I currently use i1Publish.
i1Publish stays as an X-Rite product

Daverich

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2021, 12:52:13 pm »

i1Publish stays as an X-Rite product

Thanks for the info. XRite describes i1Publish as i1Profiler (i1Publish) on their web site so when the video said i1Profiler was going to become CCProfiler I assumed Publish was included. Glad to hear the higher end products aren’t being discontinued.

erik.brammer@me.com

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2021, 03:35:09 pm »

Xrite i1 Studio sells for 365€ to 400€ in Germany.

Calibrite ColorChecker Studio sells for 500€.

What am I missing? Any difference in box content I may have missed?

TechTalk

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2021, 05:50:32 pm »

Xrite i1 Studio sells for 365€ to 400€ in Germany.

Calibrite ColorChecker Studio sells for 500€.

What am I missing? Any difference in box content I may have missed?

No, I don't think that you're missing anything. It's just rebranding the product; distribution and support thru a different channel; and the price increase which you've noted. You can currently save money by buying the X-Rite branded product.

Over the years, it seems every effort has been made to keep customers as confused as possible thru the use of similar product names for different hardware products; multiple packaging for the same hardware with different software; and changes in branding for the same product. Whether the spectrometer device is branded as X-Rite, Pantone, or Calibrite it's the same device. This also applies to whether the spectrometer model is called ColorMunki, i1Studio, or ColorChecker Studio—they are all the same spectrometer hardware.

Here's a YouTube video from Calibrite explaining the switch in branding which I've set to start at the X-Rite i1 Studio/Calibrite ColorChecker Studio portion.
Respice, adspice, prospice - Look to the past, the present, the future

erik.brammer@me.com

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2021, 01:06:24 pm »

Thank you very much!

Same product, same functionality, minor graphical change - and a 25+% price hike. What a value proposition!

:-)

Maybe they will sooner stop supporting xrite branded hardware with future software updates.

TechTalk

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2021, 05:22:49 pm »

Maybe they will sooner stop supporting xrite branded hardware with future software updates.

That's possible. But given their public statement regarding continuing "any type of support" for "any type of X-rite products" "going forward", it would be a real issue for them in terms of customer relations—not to mention potential legal exposure. But... you're right that could happen.
Respice, adspice, prospice - Look to the past, the present, the future

BAB

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2021, 05:19:30 am »

This confusion of psychological brain alteration by use of LSD and Speed has held the company from achieving a unbelievable to reasonable net worth.

How to reduce your annual sales consistently year after year.
I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kic

erik.brammer@me.com

« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2021, 04:30:23 pm »

So I just purchased the Calibrite Color Checker Display Plus. The calibration and profiling process worked ok, but the cc Profiler software definitely needs work:
- strange behavior of the full screen mode
- cropped content in window mode
- instruction windows are sized in a way that not all text is visible
- profile quality and uniformity check ended up with a black screen - I could only move the mouse pointer to the top, the menu appeared, so at least I could quit the application

Has anyone used DisplayCal with this measurement device?

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2021, 07:27:42 am »

So I just purchased the Calibrite Color Checker Display Plus. The calibration and profiling process worked ok, but the cc Profiler software definitely needs work:
- strange behavior of the full screen mode
- cropped content in window mode
- instruction windows are sized in a way that not all text is visible
- profile quality and uniformity check ended up with a black screen - I could only move the mouse pointer to the top, the menu appeared, so at least I could quit the application

Has anyone used DisplayCal with this measurement device?

DisplayCAL works with any i1D3 colorimeter (technically they're all the same no matter what badge) without problem.
Marcin Kałuża | [URL=http://zarzadzaniebarwa

erik.brammer@me.com

« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2021, 01:23:32 pm »

Thanks, Marcin, I guess I’ll give it a try.

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2021, 01:02:34 pm »

Some issues may have been corrected with the recent update.

As seen up in the list: yes if you can find the device you're looking at in X-Rite branding it will save you a lot while they last. The EPROMS are the same thus they will work with Calibrite.
Pages: [1]   Go Up