Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: H * E * L * P - Cantankerous Phase One XF or Idiot User ?  (Read 1284 times)

Balafre

H * E * L * P - Cantankerous Phase One XF or Idiot User ?
« on: June 12, 2021, 11:31:00 pm »

Hello All !

I run an XF with HAP 1 and w/IQ3/100. Have 35/80/120Macro/120 TS/150 BR lenses. Been shooting tethered w/power adapter for weeks so was only manually focussing.
Today needed to shoot hand held and XF would not auto focus and no auto assist light no matter what. Shutter fires but no AF. No Assist light.
Fully checked all settings on camera and again in C1 v 20.
Yes switched off manual lens.
Yes reset to LS.
Yes checked AF assist set to 100 & again at 50.
Yes batteries are well charged.
Yes turned off , shut down, restarted frequently and with each lens change.
Yes the CF card is in it.
Yes studio is dehumidified, no one smokes and window faces East (!)

Tried all four AF lenses at all setting above = no change.

Have I missed something or is my focus module dead?

H *  E *  L * P

Many Thanks

Charles

Tibor O

Re: H * E * L * P - Cantankerous Phase One XF or Idiot User ?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2021, 04:29:31 am »

A) Check that you have the latest body and DB firmware installed.

B) Check settings:

1) Capture Setup / Manual Focus / Off

2) Capture Setup / AF Mode / Spot

3) Capture Setup / AF Drive / Single

4) Capture Setup / AF Priority / Focus

5) Capture Setup / Assist Light / 100%

6) Capture Setup / AFr Mode / Off

7) UI Setup / Control Setup / Shut. half / Auto Focus

C) Test if AF works.

Good luck!

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2021, 09:47:00 am »

Fastest solution/troubleshooting is to restore defaults on the back and body. If, after resetting defaults on both, you can take a picture but not AF report to your P1 dealer.

Balafre

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2021, 05:29:27 am »

7) UI Setup / Control Setup / Shut. half / Auto Focus

BULLS EYE! #7 was the answer.
Many many thanks my friend.

My quest now is to work out how the hell after 4 yrs of using this that was activated - perhaps the firm ware update triggered something? But the great thing is that if/when it happens again I know where to look, and for that I am deeply indebted to you.

Charles

Balafre

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2021, 05:32:57 am »

Fastest solution/troubleshooting is to restore defaults on the back and body. If, after resetting defaults on both, you can take a picture but not AF report to your P1 dealer.

Doug, thank you - I was wary to go down that route because it doesn't identify the source of the problem so when or if it happens again I'd be none the wiser. In this case the A/F had shifted off the shutter release button, a function I had never needed in four years of use. Ghost in the machine or cobwebs in my head? But I am very grateful to you for your prompt help.

Most cordially

Charles

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2021, 12:29:05 pm »

Doug, thank you - I was wary to go down that route because it doesn't identify the source of the problem so when or if it happens again I'd be none the wiser. In this case the A/F had shifted off the shutter release button, a function I had never needed in four years of use. Ghost in the machine or cobwebs in my head? But I am very grateful to you for your prompt help.

Totally fair. I read your post as "i need a solution right now" where speed was more important than discovery. But I agree it's always best to find the specific errant setting in the case you have time/energy to do so.

A firmware update may well have changed this setting. The only other explanation is you (purposefully or not) changed it yourself.

Balafre

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2021, 06:25:12 pm »

A firmware update may well have changed this setting. The only other explanation is you (purposefully or not) changed it yourself.

Doug I can't completely discount user error, as much as my pride would like me to! but it had recently undergone a firmware update by the dealer. The nature of something so incredibly adjustable is that there's a lot to wade through when trying to identify new issues, which of course only become apparent when it's in use and we need it to work properly!
Pages: [1]   Go Up