Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Adobe 'Super Resolution'  (Read 1204 times)

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
Adobe 'Super Resolution'
« on: June 08, 2021, 04:31:34 pm »

Adobe's "Super Resolution" feature, previously available in ACR/Photoshop, is now available in the latest rev of Lightroom (10.3).  Seems to work the same as in Photoshop.  Very useful addition to the LR toolset.

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
Re: Adobe 'Super Resolution'
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2021, 06:31:58 pm »

Julieanne Kost of Adobe has a useful video describing the feature.

Rand47

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2021, 09:20:46 am »

Adobe's "Super Resolution" feature, previously available in ACR/Photoshop, is now available in the latest rev of Lightroom (10.3).  Seems to work the same as in Photoshop.  Very useful addition to the LR toolset.

It’s nice (and easier, IMO) to have it in LrC, than the somewhat odd implementation in ACR.  Yesterday I tested “Super Resolution” against Gigapixel AI and Photoshop’s “Preserve Details 2.0.”   Gigapixel AI was the noticeably better choice for the files I tested. “Super Resolution” and “Preserve Details 2.0” were identical at the same scaling, as far as I could pixel peep. 

The one caution about Gigapixel AI is that it seems to be somewhat image dependent on how good are the results.  It is good to have options!

Rand
« Last Edit: June 11, 2021, 09:41:24 am by Rand47 »
Rand Scott Adams

nemophoto

• Nemo Niemann Photography
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2021, 12:21:05 pm »

The one  caution about Gigapixel AI is that it seems to be somewhat image dependent on how good are the results.  It is good to have options!

I must second that. Overall, Gigapixel does a better job, but it seems to accel with lower res images in general. With higher res images you are taking up even larger, I have found PhotoZoom is faster and seems to do an almost equal job in far less time.

On a recent job, I needed to enlarge a horizontal image (I think originally captured with a 5D Mark II or III) about 1200% to then be cropped vertically and printed as a backdrop 10'x16'. I experimented with a small section and used Super Res, Gigapixel and PhotoZoom. The two latter programs did better than Super Res with almost the same results in the end. I think I used Gigapixel for the final, but had to do two passes of 600%.

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2021, 12:01:15 pm »

The one  caution about Gigapixel AI is that it seems to be somewhat image dependent on how good are the results.  It is good to have options!

That's my experience too. GP works great on some images but not on others, where there no meaningful improvement or you see noticeable artifacts.
Pages: [1]   Go Up