Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nikon Z7ii + Nikkor Z 70-200 f/2.8 + Meike 11mm Extension + Nikkor TC-1.4  (Read 1288 times)

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com

I got my order in for the two Z Macros early enough that I hope to get one. Slightly off-topic, but another fairly new lens is the Nikon Z 70-200, here coupled with the TC-1.4 Z and an 11mm Meike extension ring. I am gearing up for some autofocus (mostly insect) shots and it looks to me that this combination will work and be up to what I need to get from a close up, and I am not even going close-in for this shot. I was waiting to order the TC-1.4 and already had the extensions, but John Koener showed me what he is doing with this combination for butterfly shots, so I wanted to get on with ordering the TC and so far am very happy with it. I feel the Nikkor Z 20-200mm f/2.8 is an amazing lens with a style all its own, IMO.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2021, 04:46:36 pm by Michael Erlewine »
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com. Founder MacroStop.com, MichaelErlewine.com, YouTube.com/user/merlewine

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond

For years in the field, I've used one or another Nikon 70-200 2.8 with a Canon 500D close-up lens and find it much easier and faster than using a dedicated macro lens. Since I'm mainly shooting in nature, the corners aren't as critical as would shooting something flat on a copy stand and have seldom found the need for much else.

This combo stopped down a little works just fine and the image quality is more than fine. For additional magnification, the TC 14e and its several versions also works fine.

Compared to an extension tube, the 500D keeps the zoom fairly useable for changing the composition without changing the focus drastically. Compared to a macro lens, framing is more versatile and the working range from the front element allows more room for lighting and room for small critters and snakes.
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com

For years in the field, I've used one or another Nikon 70-200 2.8 with a Canon 500D close-up lens and find it much easier and faster than using a dedicated macro lens. Since I'm mainly shooting in nature, the corners aren't as critical as would shooting something flat on a copy stand and have seldom found the need for much else.

This combo stopped down a little works just fine and the image quality is more than fine. For additional magnification, the TC 14e and its several versions also works fine.

Compared to an extension tube, the 500D keeps the zoom fairly useable for changing the composition without changing the focus drastically. Compared to a macro lens, framing is more versatile and the working range from the front element allows more room for lighting and room for small critters and snakes.

I have the 500D lens, so I will check it out. Thanks.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com. Founder MacroStop.com, MichaelErlewine.com, YouTube.com/user/merlewine

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com

It has been my opinion for a while that the new Nikkor Z 70-200mm f/2.8 zoom is a most remarkable lens, sure to make its place as one of the all-time great Nikon lenses.

This lens takes the TC-1.4 without blinking and the same goes for a small extension tube (11mm), or both at once. I am sure there is some degradation, but so far I can’t see any effect I would worry over.

I am most interested to note that this lens has a “style” to it that I like, as opposed to what I call clinical-like no-style lenses. Yes, its big, heavy-ish, and it likes a tripod, but I know people who are using it hand-held for nature photos and getting great results.

Given the availability of extension and TCs, I can get as close as I want and it also doubles for a decent telephoto lens. I guess my main point other than satisfaction is that here is the Swiss-Army Knife in my lens collection. I can do most everything and well, close-up, portrait, and distance with a certain grace. I really like it.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/

Yea the 70-200mm f2.8 S is just magical.

The perfect combination of uncompromised uber technical qualities and look.

The only lenses I even prefer on Z mount are the 85mm f1.8 S and the 50mm f1.2 S. I now consider the 85mm f1.8 S one of the best portrait lens ever designed.

Cheers,
Bernard

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com

Yea the 70-200mm f2.8 S is just magical.

The perfect combination of uncompromised uber technical qualities and look.

The only lenses I even prefer on Z mount are the 85mm f1.8 S and the 50mm f1.2 S. I now consider the 85mm f1.8 S one of the best portrait lens ever designed.

Cheers,
Bernard

We have similar taste in lenses. I have both the 85mm f/1.8 S and the 50mm f/1.2 S.... along with the Z-70-200.

I would place the Z Noct 0.95 as the best of all of them, IMO. With the Z7/Z7ii, I started out telling myself I was not going to buy lenses for these cameras, but instead use all the many F-mount lenses I have, but here I am buying and enjoying the Z-lenses and looking forward to more. 

BernardLanguillier

We have similar taste in lenses. I have both the 85mm f/1.8 S and the 50mm f/1.2 S.... along with the Z-70-200.

I would place the Z Noct 0.95 as the best of all of them, IMO. With the Z7/Z7ii, I started out telling myself I was not going to buy lenses for these cameras, but instead use all the many F-mount lenses I have, but here I am buying and enjoying the Z-lenses and looking forward to more.

Funny coincidence indeed. :-)

Yes, sorry, I have the 58mm Noct as well and I agree.

Cheers,
Bernard

kers

• Pieter Kers

So then please show some 50mm f1.2 examples for what i have seen Sony's f1.2 is a very interesting lens.
The smallness and with its  concave frontlens it seems is a new type of lens not seen before.
According to lenstip it is better than the nikkor Z version in kore than one way.
The nikkor  has a different bokeh that some describe as gaussian blur...
Yes would like to see some examples.
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

BernardLanguillier

So then please show some 50mm f1.2 examples for what i have seen Sony's f1.2 is a very interesting lens.
The smallness and with its  concave frontlens it seems is a new type of lens not seen before.
According to lenstip it is better than the nikkor Z version in kore than one way.
The nikkor  has a different bokeh that some describe as gaussian blur...
Yes would like to see some examples.

I read that and was a bit surprised. The Sony is an excellent lens and offers a great compromise if you don’t shoot video, but I don’t think it’s ahead of the Nikon.

Lenstip has often shown a strong anti-nikon bias and their results are poorly correlated with those of other testers.

I have sold my Sony bodies recently now that Nikon has to a large extent caught up with AF. Not needing silent shooting much there was really no justification for me to keep them.

Cheers,
Bernard

jrp

I’d be interested in the evidence of lenstip bias, but one thing seems obvious, which is that the Sony lens is smaller / more manageable, for let us say at least as good performance. This is not of much help to you either way if you are already bought into your system, but it suggests that Sony has applied more engineering skills to some of their recent lenses than they have done in the past.

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography

I'm reminded of folk who listen to the sound system rather than the music.

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com

I'm reminded of folk who listen to the sound system rather than the music.

Yes, but those of us who record music professionally listen to the music through and because of the sound system.

BernardLanguillier

I’d be interested in the evidence of lenstip bias, but one thing seems obvious, which is that the Sony lens is smaller / more manageable, for let us say at least as good performance. This is not of much help to you either way if you are already bought into your system, but it suggests that Sony has applied more engineering skills to some of their recent lenses than they have done in the past.

The Sony is more compact, no doubt. And I do agree that Sony’s recent releases are clearly superior compared to earlier FE mount entries. In fact I think they are now overtaking Canon and joining Zeiss and Nikon in the top 3 of best lens dsigners.

Now compared to the Nikon what I see when looking at images is a clinical rendering on the Sony and something beautiful on the Nikon. Now this could be my taste only but this is exactly what I kept feeling when using the technically brilliant 135mm f1.8 on my a7rIV and a9II.

And to me, even if we were to believe the lenstip results showing a tiny advantage to the Sony, great looking bokeh is an order of magnitude more important for such a lens. Otherwise I buy the excellent 50mm f1.8 S.

Cheers,
Bernard
Pages: [1]   Go Up