Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Experiments with overlays  (Read 1109 times)

Bob_B

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3747
  • It's all about light
    • Robert Belas Photography
Experiments with overlays
« on: May 30, 2021, 10:57:41 am »

A very happy holiday to all in the US. I've been exploring using overlays on some of my images, and have some results to share. If you have a minute, I'd greatly appreciate your thoughts on any and all of the four versions. Thanks for stopping by. - Bob
Logged
Robert Belas Photography
www.belasphoto.com

David Eckels

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3529
  • It's just a camera.
    • Website
Re: Experiments with overlays
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2021, 12:17:41 pm »

Bob, I assume the overlays are those patterns in the background bokeh. They are not distracting as they are subtle enough. But, the thought occurred to me that are they necessary for what is a perfectly lovely cone flower photograph? ¢¢

Bob_B

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3747
  • It's all about light
    • Robert Belas Photography
Re: Experiments with overlays
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2021, 12:36:52 pm »

David: Thanks for your comment. How true! Indeed, I took one of my favorite photos for just that reason: to see if I could make it better. My initial assessment is that this experiment did not drastically (or even marginally) improve the original. (I went through a dozen different attempts before picking these four finalists.) I plan to wait a day or two, see what others (such as you) think, and review these four to see if my opinion has changed regarding improving the image.
Logged
Robert Belas Photography
www.belasphoto.com

Rajan Parrikar

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3950
    • Rajan Parrikar
Re: Experiments with overlays
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2021, 01:04:16 pm »

Of the 4, my preference is for the last one. It brings attention to the flower right away and retains it.

#1 background has some cross lines (albeit subtle) at the top-right that could distract.
#2 and #3 have spots and some mottled patterns.

sf

  • Guest
Re: Experiments with overlays
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2021, 03:57:36 pm »

Could you perhaps post the original, for comparison?

S
Logged

francois

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 14432
Re: Experiments with overlays
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2021, 05:17:33 am »

#4 is my favorite, mostly because the background is not distracting - almost natural. To be fair, in this case, I'm not so sure that adding an overlay improves this lovely image.
Logged
Francois

Bob_B

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3747
  • It's all about light
    • Robert Belas Photography
Re: Experiments with overlays
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2021, 07:52:00 am »

Could you perhaps post the original, for comparison?

S
Hi sf. That photo was posted here a few years back. I will post again, if you cannot find it with a search. Thanks.
Logged
Robert Belas Photography
www.belasphoto.com

Bob_B

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3747
  • It's all about light
    • Robert Belas Photography
Re: Experiments with overlays
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2021, 07:53:18 am »

Thanks francois. After thinking about it overnight, I agree that any of the overlays I used improve the image. Experiments will continue...
Logged
Robert Belas Photography
www.belasphoto.com

John R

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5248
Re: Experiments with overlays
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2021, 11:10:28 am »

Of the 4, my preference is for the last one. It brings attention to the flower right away and retains it.

#1 background has some cross lines (albeit subtle) at the top-right that could distract.
#2 and #3 have spots and some mottled patterns.
I agree with Rajan. You have to mind what is in the overlay to make it successful. I does look rather nice. I assume it was selective overlay and not over the whole flower.

JR
Logged

Bob_B

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3747
  • It's all about light
    • Robert Belas Photography
Re: Experiments with overlays
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2021, 11:41:08 am »

...I assume it was selective overlay and not over the whole flower.

JR

Thanks John R. Yes. I used a white mask and black brush to remove the effect from the flower. BTW, there are three overlays in each photo, not that that makes any difference in viewing.
Logged
Robert Belas Photography
www.belasphoto.com

sf

  • Guest
Re: Experiments with overlays
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2021, 12:09:43 pm »

Hi sf. That photo was posted here a few years back. I will post again, if you cannot find it with a search. Thanks.

Without knowing what the title was then, it's hard to search for it!

S
Logged

Bob_B

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3747
  • It's all about light
    • Robert Belas Photography
Re: Experiments with overlays: The Original "July 4th Coneflower"
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2021, 02:12:39 pm »

No problem. Here's the original:
Logged
Robert Belas Photography
www.belasphoto.com

John R

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5248
Re: Experiments with overlays: The Original "July 4th Coneflower"
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2021, 11:25:18 am »

No problem. Here's the original:
Bob, I think you will really be interested in this video which shows how to do overlays and control dark and light areas much easier than photoshop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmbnRZc6oIE
Logged

Bob_B

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3747
  • It's all about light
    • Robert Belas Photography
Re: Experiments with overlays
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2021, 12:00:01 pm »

John R: Thanks! It looks very useful.
Logged
Robert Belas Photography
www.belasphoto.com

sf

  • Guest
Re: Experiments with overlays: The Original "July 4th Coneflower"
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2021, 01:11:57 pm »

No problem. Here's the original:

Thanks, Bob. I'm not persuaded that any of the overlay versions is an improvement on the rather lovely original.

S
Logged

EricV

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 270
Re: Experiments with overlays
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2021, 02:02:42 am »

I like the original the best.  The green background is natural and appealing.  I might even try lightening the very dark bottom area.
Logged

Eric Myrvaagnes

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 22813
  • http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
Re: Experiments with overlays
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2021, 09:54:36 am »

Another vote for the original.
But the overlays were a useful experiment.
Logged
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Bob_B

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3747
  • It's all about light
    • Robert Belas Photography
Re: Experiments with overlays
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2021, 07:31:19 am »

Thanks Eric. Experimentation <-- That's what it's all about! More to come.
Logged
Robert Belas Photography
www.belasphoto.com

francois

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 14432
Re: Experiments with overlays
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2021, 09:02:46 am »

Add my voice to the original… Experimenting is free, anyway.
Logged
Francois

Bob_B

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3747
  • It's all about light
    • Robert Belas Photography
Re: Experiments with overlays
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2021, 10:12:00 am »

Experimenting is free, anyway.
Not if you're doing it for a living says the retired professor. LOL. Thanks francois.
Logged
Robert Belas Photography
www.belasphoto.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up