Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Z3200 AT LAST! BELT MAINTENANCE  (Read 1186 times)

Mark Lindquist

• it’s not about the photos we take - it’s the ones we leave
    • LINDQUIST STUDIOS
Z3200 AT LAST! BELT MAINTENANCE
« on: May 28, 2021, 12:05:51 pm »

OK folks, I'm finally ready to divulge my secret formula for rejuvenating Z3100-Z3200 belts.

I have been watching the results for almost a year now.

ARMORALL ORIGINAL PROTECTANT WIPES are what I've been using. One of the belts on an older printer was dropping little black drops on prints and I inspected the belt really carefully and saw oxidation and drying of the rubber.

Here is the process:

Get This: Green Label Micro Vacuum Attachment Kit

Carefully vacuum the belt, scrubbing the dried stuff off both sides. Use a flashlight and do the same to the belt pulley. Get everything as clean as possible.

Fold a sheet of copier paper and get it folded over to protect the encoder strip.

Wipe on the Armorall liberally applying to both sides. Leave it on to dry. Go over any areas that seem crusty or discolored.

You will see immediate results. The belt will seem new.

Lubricate the carriage rail. Don't over lubricate or under lubricate. I run a bead the length of the rail then wipe it lightly with a soft cloth like an old t-shirt material.

Unbelievable results. The printer will run quieter and as smooth as silk.

The treatment lasts about 3-4 months depending on how badly degraded your belt is.

I just did another coating and it came back as new - worked beautifully.

OK - You heard it here OFFICIALLY, first.

When people talk about it, remind them of who figured this out, and it was first published here on Lula.

I asked my good friend Mark McCormick (MHMG) if there would be any problem with contamination, etc. Being a car guy and familiar with the product, he said no.

I told my other friend John Dean (Deanwork) about it but he must have forgotten I wanted to wait to be sure everything is cool with the process and mentioned it so I'm now "publishing"

Save your belt using this process. Let us know how long you've been able to "stretch" belt usage.

Hallelujah !!!  The Dreaded Shredded belt is put off until much later.

Best -

Mark

Mark Lindquist
http://z3200.com, http://MarkLindquistPhotography.com
Lindquist Studios.com

gfsymon

Re: Z3200 AT LAST! BELT MAINTENANCE
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2021, 04:43:39 pm »

Thanks for sharing this Mark.  👍😎👍

My z3100 was in bits on the floor pre-Christmas due to disintegrating belt syndrome.  Only the second I've had to do though.  I prolonged the agony with a strip of folded paper to catch the bits.  Your trick will be much better.

NackJich

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2021, 04:56:46 pm »

Thanks for this Mark. I ordered the kit just now. For once everything is available in the UK. I have evidence of a disintegrating belt, but nothing on the prints yet. Replacing the belt is a job I would rather not do!!
Kind regards..NJ

believer07

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2021, 07:03:47 pm »

You've probably seen my recent post about my 1970 issue...my belt is original, low miles, and I was wondering what I could do to avoid the carnage.

Perfect timing in posting this info, thank you very much!

Years ago, ArmourAll was reported to kill dashboards, I'm surprised that it has worked so well, but after a year, you would know!

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2021, 09:01:12 pm »

Mark, with your help the Z3200 will life forever!
The LPS belt is reported to be of a different kind; would it also work on that? 
Wow ! there are many kind of All Armor wipes ... in holland it is difficult to find the right one... to import it from the US is a bit too much...
We have another look! Thanks!
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Peter McLennan

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2021, 12:08:34 am »

Thanks, Mark, for all you do for us who use these printers.

mfrohman

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2021, 04:41:43 pm »

Thank you Mark, this is perfect timing for me as one of my z3200s is showing belt shredding and I've been dreading changing the belt even though I have one from LPS sitting on my shelf. I've done it to my other machine and it's not fun.

I use this same vacuum kit to keep my machine clean on a regular basis and suck up belt shred and paper dust. Can't wait to try this!
2 x HP Z3200, Canon 4100, Epson p-800

Alistair

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2021, 12:27:07 am »

This is great advice, thanks.
Alistair

Mark Lindquist

• LINDQUIST STUDIOS
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2021, 02:52:47 pm »

Thanks everyone!

So if you've used the process of coating your printer belt with Armorall, discovered new tricks, tips, etc., let me know.

Also, keeping a record of how long between applications of the armorall would be good to know.

Keep those belts alive!!!

Mark
Mark Lindquist
Lindquist Studios.com

believer07

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2021, 04:06:00 pm »

Thanks everyone!

So if you've used the process of coating your printer belt with Armorall, discovered new tricks, tips, etc., let me know.

Also, keeping a record of how long between applications of the armorall would be good to know.

Keep those belts alive!!!

Mark

I tried this on my original belt, that was still in the machine after all these years, and while it helped, I think that it was too late for a 14year old belt.

Question:  did you use this treatment on the new LPS belt, or just the old skool HP belt?

Thanks!

Mark Lindquist

• LINDQUIST STUDIOS
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2021, 11:53:11 am »

I tried this on my original belt, that was still in the machine after all these years, and while it helped, I think that it was too late for a 14year old belt.

Question:  did you use this treatment on the new LPS belt, or just the old skool HP belt?

Thanks!

I haven’t tried it on a new LPS belt. Perhaps building up several coatings might prolong, but it would only be a reprieve. A new belt is eventually required.

M
Mark Lindquist
Lindquist Studios.com

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2021, 06:20:05 am »

Thanks!

14 years is a record!
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la
Pages: [1]   Go Up