Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Non-Nikon Lenses Not Working on Nikon Z7 II  (Read 1530 times)

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
Non-Nikon Lenses Not Working on Nikon Z7 II
« on: May 04, 2021, 09:01:18 pm »

If I try to mount the a Voigtlander lens with an E-Mount-to-Z7-adapter on my Z7 II camera, it won't let me into the camera, but i get the message:

“FTZ mount adapter firmware version no supported. Upgrade the FTZ firmware.”  Which I tried to do, but somehow the new Z7 II won’t let me use any of my Voigtlanders with an adapter. Any ideas?

Yet, this same Voigtlander works fine on my Z7, the first model.

What can I do?

I an trying to use some Sony E-Mount lenses with the E-Mount to Z7 adapter and keep running into the "FTZ mount adapter Firmware version not supported message.' Any ideas?

MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com. Founder MacroStop.com, MichaelErlewine.com, YouTube.com/user/merlewine

degrub

Re: Non-Nikon Lenses Not Working on Nikon Z7 II
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2021, 09:46:58 pm »

Just an idea, can you mount the adapter first on the body and see if the camera recognizes it properly ?

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2021, 10:03:41 pm »

Just an idea, can you mount the adapter first on the body and see if the camera recognizes it properly ?

The adapter mounts just fine. Yet, the moment I attach the lens, the message pops up. This means I have to cover up the contacts somehow. What is the best way to do that?
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com. Founder MacroStop.com, MichaelErlewine.com, YouTube.com/user/merlewine

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2021, 01:52:53 am »

If I try to mount the a Voigtlander lens with an E-Mount-to-Z7-adapter on my Z7 II camera, it won't let me into the camera, but i get the message:

“FTZ mount adapter firmware version no supported. Upgrade the FTZ firmware.”  Which I tried to do, but somehow the new Z7 II won’t let me use any of my Voigtlanders with an adapter. Any ideas?

Yet, this same Voigtlander works fine on my Z7, the first model.

Generic comment not based on first hand experience but have you tried upgrading the firmware of your adapter?

Cheers,
Bernard

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2021, 01:55:43 am »

Generic comment not based on first hand experience but have you tried upgrading the firmware of your adapter?

Cheers,
Bernard

Sure, up to date with both firmware for the camera and the FTZ. Talked with Nikon about it, but it won't let me mount all the Voigtlander lenses I have, each with their own adapter....although the same lenses work fine on the Z7, first edition.  There must be something I can do. Probably covering the lens connections with tape or something might do it.

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2021, 02:13:18 am »

Sure, up to date with both firmware for the camera and the FTZ. Talked with Nikon about it, but it won't let me mount all the Voigtlander lenses I have, each with their own adapter....although the same lenses work fine on the Z7, first edition.  There must be something I can do. Probably covering the lens connections with tape or something might do it.

Michael,

I am a bit confused, what adapter are you using to mount this FE mount lens on your Z7II?

Is it the Techart?

If it is you need to update the Techart adapter to firmware 4.10 from this link: https://techartpro.com/?page_id=3983

Just mount the adapter in the cap provided, connect the cap to your computer using a USB cable and then run the firmware update software, select the right one in the list and click update. The UI is in Chinese language only, but Google translate works well if you cannot read Chinese characters.

I have just done so with mine and can focus my Sony 135mm f1.8 GM without any issues on my Z7II. For some strange reason it doesn't work very well with the Z6II but very well with Z7II.

Cheers,
Bernard

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2021, 07:10:01 am »

Michael,

I am a bit confused, what adapter are you using to mount this FE mount lens on your Z7II?

Is it the Techart?

If it is you need to update the Techart adapter to firmware 4.10 from this link: https://techartpro.com/?page_id=3983

Just mount the adapter in the cap provided, connect the cap to your computer using a USB cable and then run the firmware update software, select the right one in the list and click update. The UI is in Chinese language only, but Google translate works well if you cannot read Chinese characters.

I have just done so with mine and can focus my Sony 135mm f1.8 GM without any issues on my Z7II. For some strange reason it doesn't work very well with the Z6II but very well with Z7II.

Cheers,
Bernard

I have a bunch of TechArt adapters and another brand. I tried upgrading the TechArt adapters, but the software was so janky, overprinting, with no instructions that work that it is hard to see anything work.

The adapter that I have that is just a "dumb" adapter seems to work, but so far I have not found a way then to change the shutter-speed (light). All of this works fine on version 1 of the Z7.

If you are using the Z7II and a dumb adapter, how do you vary the shutter speed?

My question is, how do you choose which of the TechArt firmware upgrades to use? Do you start with the first and work up or just the most recent one?

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2021, 07:53:20 am »

Bernard:

I have a bunch of TechArt adapters and another brand. I tried upgrading the TechArt adapters, but the software was so janky, overprinting, with no instructions that work that it is hard to see anything work.

The adapter that I have that is just a "dumb" adapter seems to work, but so far I have not found a way then to change the shutter-speed (light). All of this works fine on version 1 of the Z7.

I have another dumb adapter that works, but I can vary the exposure only by using the top button on the Z7II to vary exposure. As for the Tech Art, perhaps my micro USB cord is too long (10 feet), so I ordered shorter ones.

I am thinking of gett the modified Sony A7rIVa...with the higher res LCD screen as they become available. Also, do you have the Sony A1 and if so, how do you like it?

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2021, 07:57:56 am »

Bernard:

I have another dumb adapter that works, but I can vary the exposure only by using the top button on the Z7II to vary exposure. As for the Tech Art, perhaps my micro USB cord is too long (10 feet), so I ordered shorter ones.

I am thinking of gett the modified Sony A7rIVa...with the higher res LCD screen as they become available. Also, do you have the Sony A1 and if so, how do you like it?

For the Techart updates seem cumulative, I just installed 4.1 on top of 1.0 without problems.

No, I have not bought the a1 after selling my a9II.

The AF of the Z6II/Z7II has become excellent with the latest firmware and adresses my need well enough that I can wait until the Z9 comes out. From an image quality standpoint nothing beats the Z7II I believe.

Cheers,
Bernard

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2021, 08:23:44 am »

For the Techart updates seem cumulative, I just installed 4.1 on top of 1.0 without problems.

No, I have not bought the a1 after selling my a9II.

The AF of the Z6II/Z7II has become excellent with the latest firmware and adresses my need well enough that I can wait until the Z9 comes out. From an image quality standpoint nothing beats the Z7II I believe.

Cheers,
Bernard

Yes, I hear you about the Z7II. The Sony A1 looks very powerful, but they offer a very lo-res LCD screen, which is a shame. The various 100mp Fuji are interesting, but clunky and I value the efficiency of the Nikon mirrorless cameras a lot. I am starting to wonder if I need any more pixels...really. Since I stack focus, it gets very space-consuming if I do 100 layers or so. And yes, I am waiting to see what Nikon Mirrorless will offer. As mentioned, I might pick up a copy of the Sony A7Ri-IVa, with the upgraded LCD screen. Then I could use all my Sony glass more easily.

However, I found the "cat" photos that Lloyd Chambers did with the Sony A1.... AMAZING!

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2021, 08:32:04 am »

However, I found the "cat" photos that Lloyd Chambers did with the Sony A1.... AMAZING!
Wait till Nikon adds dynamic AF with stamen and stigma recognition ;)

about the FTZ-adapter not willing to work with Voigtlander;

I read a lot of third party batteries stopt working with the Z7 II.
Maybe Nikon is trying to close its ecosystem.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 08:38:02 am by kers »
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

armand

• Photos
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2021, 10:35:09 am »

Closing the third party batteries I might understand. The mount closing, as opposed to Sony, much less so.

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2021, 04:53:53 pm »

Closing the third party batteries I might understand. The mount closing, as opposed to Sony, much less so.

The ability to use any FE mount lens on the Z bodies is indeed a huge differentiator against the Canon R. Absolutely huge. Even if the Z glass is overall the best Sony is clearly improving very quickly. Besides there are many exciting Voigtlander lenses for FE mount that I am glad to be able to use.

Cheers,
Bernard

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2021, 04:19:50 am »

The ability to use any FE mount lens on the Z bodies is indeed a huge differentiator against the Canon R. Absolutely huge. Even if the Z glass is overall the best Sony is clearly improving very quickly. Besides there are many exciting Voigtlander lenses for FE mount that I am glad to be able to use.

Cheers,
Bernard

I'm interested in several Voigtlander lenses to use on my Z cameras and already own a Novoflex Leica M to Nikon Z adapter. I do not own any Sony cameras. I'm wondering, what are the advantages, if any, of using Voigtlander lenses for Sony FE rather than Voigtlander lenses for Leica M?

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2021, 08:34:32 am »

I'm interested in several Voigtlander lenses to use on my Z cameras and already own a Novoflex Leica M to Nikon Z adapter. I do not own any Sony cameras. I'm wondering, what are the advantages, if any, of using Voigtlander lenses for Sony FE rather than Voigtlander lenses for Leica M?

None for those that exist for both mounts. The Leica M version may even be better since it opens the possibility to AF those lenses on the Z bodies.

Cheers,
Bernard

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2021, 09:02:08 am »

None for those that exist for both mounts. The Leica M version may even be better since it opens the possibility to AF those lenses on the Z bodies.

Cheers,
Bernard

Bernard, thanks, appreciated.

I have looked into the various AF adaptors for Leica M lenses on the Z in the past, but the setup looks over-complicated and seems to be dependent on shooting aperture. I think I'd rather use them as manual focus with peaking and magnification when needed.
Pages: [1]   Go Up