Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Capture One 21 - Fuji Pixel shift support - can't figure it out  (Read 1753 times)

narikin

I upgraded to C1 21 specifically for the Fujifilm GFX100 'pixel shift', that it says it now supports, but.. I can't figure it out. Seems to be nothing there at all - is there some tool/ menu option I'm missing?

I had imagined it would recognise and denote the 16 pixel shifted files, and have the capability of combining them into the one super res file, but... I can't see that.
Is it simply that it can read a Fuji processed DNG?!

Anyone know what I'm missing here? thanks
« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 12:18:25 pm by narikin »

TonyW

Re: Capture One 21 - Fuji Pixel shift support - can't figure it out
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2021, 10:31:58 am »

As I am waiting for my 100S to arrive I do not have an answer, but I hope you do not mind a question.

You mention Fuji processed DNG. 
I was under the impression that Fuji files were only RAF type DNG not an option at capture stage?

Further for pixel shift images I had assumed that the 16 captures would again be RAF that would need to be combined in your raw editing software or if the editor had no support use the Fuji combiner software that produced a DNG as a finished image for use in most editing apps.  Is this incorrect?

narikin

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2021, 03:11:39 pm »

Fuji's pixel shift processing software outputs a large DNG, from the 16 combined shifted files.
It is this that Capture One can see, and 'read' and allow you to 'process' from DNG to TIFF or whatever.

I'm rather disappointed to find this is all it amounts to, as you can of course use Adobe Camera Raw to adjust a DNG and output a Tiff.
Had thought C1 announcing their 'Support for Fujifilm Pixel Shift' with Capture One 21 meant more than simply being able to read a DNG.

hope I'm wrong and missing something?

TonyW

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2021, 04:43:29 am »

Fuji's pixel shift processing software outputs a large DNG, from the 16 combined shifted files.
It is this that Capture One can see, and 'read' and allow you to 'process' from DNG to TIFF or whatever.

I'm rather disappointed to find this is all it amounts to, as you can of course use Adobe Camera Raw to adjust a DNG and output a Tiff.
Had thought C1 announcing their 'Support for Fujifilm Pixel Shift' with Capture One 21 meant more than simply being able to read a DNG.

hope I'm wrong and missing something?
Indeed, a bit of a disappointment as I had hoped that this meant COne was able to take the 16 raw files and combine within the application. 

So, if I understand correctly the Fuji combiner application is the only way to combine their pixel shift images and it outputs a linear DNG which should be able to be read in most raw applications

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2021, 04:52:53 pm »

The combiner software is the only way to get either form of the output, 4 shot color 100MP or 16 shot 400MP.  All C1 is doing is opening the dng created by the combiner software.  I personally would not be surprised if the previous versions of C1 would open the dng, just not have a color profile for it, like C1 21 does.  C1 is not doing any processing on the file that I can see.

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

narikin

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2021, 10:47:24 am »

Thanks Paul.

Yes it's shameful how C1 promotes v21 as 'supporting Fuji Pixel Shift' when all it amounts to is maybe a profile for a processed DNG.
It doesn't even read the data to mark the image files 1/16, 2/16 etc, so you know which Fuji RAWs are part of the pixel shift set.

There's a chance pixel shift will come to the next Phase back (IQ5 ?) It kind of has to, to keep up - maybe same 150mp sensor, but with pixel shift tech. And I'd hope/ expect they'll do it properly. 

Meanwhile here's hoping for a Fuji software improvement. It kind of works but is pretty barebones.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2021, 09:17:11 am »

Pixel shift for a Phase back, would be an interesting proposition for sure.  But I would also assume a totally new design?  The current one I don't think could handle a IBIS type of mechanism.  I had wondered if Phase One would come out with a mirrorless camera, for the IQ4, but the IQ4 has now reached over 2 years in life and it's still not working 100%, and there are still features that seem to only work on the XT.  What has not impressed me with Phase One for the past  1 1/2 years is the slow rate of updates to the IQ4.  We are still waiting for a Capture Pilot solution for the IQ4.

Phase seems to be mainly focused on the XT platform.  I guess I can understand that, as it's the only type of solution on the market, as no other tech company was able to figure out a way to get a modern shutter on a tech lens.  However the cost of entry to the XT me is to high.  Even the cost of switching an existing lens from copal to X shutter is way to high at 4K (last time I checked).

Phase has made no effort to move existing Arca, Cambo, or Alpa customer to the XT via a trade in so for now they must be happy with their sales.

Back to Pixel shift on the IQ?, I can't begin to imagine the cost.  But having a IBIS type solution on a Phase One back would be a nice feature.

Paul
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

narikin

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2021, 11:05:37 am »

Pixel shift for a Phase back, would be an interesting proposition for sure.  But I would also assume a totally new design?  The current one I don't think could handle a IBIS type of mechanism.  I had wondered if Phase One would come out with a mirrorless camera, for the IQ4, but the IQ4 has now reached over 2 years in life and it's still not working 100%, and there are still features that seem to only work on the XT.  What has not impressed me with Phase One for the past  1 1/2 years is the slow rate of updates to the IQ4.  We are still waiting for a Capture Pilot solution for the IQ4.

Back to Pixel shift on the IQ?, I can't begin to imagine the cost.  But having a IBIS type solution on a Phase One back would be a nice feature.

Paul

Thanks Paul,

Just to say a pixel shift system for MF backs doesn't have to be the full IBIS, it is simply about pixel level micro shifts, without accelerometers, etc,
Sinar/Hasselblad managed it in their backs years ago. Phase have been a bit negligent in bringing it to their product line, imho.

Cleary it requires extra engineering, but it's not new tech in stand alone MF backs.  (plus things like the XF seismograph function are perfect for this)

Phase seems to be mainly focused on the XT platform.  I guess I can understand that, as it's the only type of solution on the market, as no other tech company was able to figure out a way to get a modern shutter on a tech lens.  However the cost of entry to the XT me is to high.  Even the cost of switching an existing lens from copal to X shutter is way to high at 4K (last time I checked).

Phase has made no effort to move existing Arca, Cambo, or Alpa customer to the XT via a trade in so for now they must be happy with their sales.

You're forgetting the Alpa FPS, from 2012 (!!) which had a quality MF focal plane shutter integrated, which allowed all tech lenses to work with high shutter speeds, no cocking, forget the Copal's etc.

I love this body and have used it for years. Can't for the life of me understand why it didn't get more support & sales.
Yeah the XT is nice, but not as flexible and it's extremely pricey to adapt your lenses. FPS just works with 1 adapter for all Alpa SB lenses.
Whatever... I've accepted I'm alone in loving this Alpa body!

« Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 11:14:10 am by narikin »

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2021, 08:05:12 pm »

Good point on the Alpa FPS, I did over look it and as you point out a great solution, as one system/shutter works on multiple lenses.  I guess there is no leaf shutter option on the FPS? So flash sync advantage for faster shutter speeds would go to the XT.

What has fascinated me is the way the various users justify the design, and gloss past the glaring oversights, 12mm of shift in one direction and no tilt.

I have seen article after article stating that the max shift of the 32mm Rodenstock by design is 12mm, and the 40mm since it's not available doesn't count.  I have the 32mm and know it can make easily and at time 20mm.  Where the XT design really falls off is on the longer glass, like the Rodenstock 90mm which can make 25mm of shift (HR-SW), or the Schneider 60mm, or the Rodenstock 70mm and 50mm, both of which will easily shift past 12mm.  If the goal is pano creation with no parallax, then the more shifting of the back, the better. 

Tilt, is the larger oversight as I use it with all my lenses.  Even the 120mm Schneider. and for sure the 90mm Rodenstock.

Yes you can add the Cambo T/S adapter, to a XT mount, but then you have a cable, an lose one of the main selling points of the XT, all integrated, no cables.

Paul
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up