Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "sleepy" ipf5000?  (Read 6449 times)

v70rnj

"sleepy" ipf5000?
« on: December 24, 2006, 10:10:20 am »

I have installed an ipf 5000 as of two days ago, on a LAN with the TCP/IP connection.  It works fine if the 5000 is "awake", but if it has timed out to go to sleep, it will not wake up from the PC.  I can "ping" it OK when it is awake but it basically takes itself offline in the sleep mode.  Is this normal?  The Canon help person did not think so.  It is not a huge deal, as all I have to do is touch the online button (which is lit up green in the sleep mode as well) to wake it up and then communication over the network is OK at 100 mB.  If I forget and don't wake it up, any print job is just queued until the printer wakes up and then it runs.

Dexter Johnston

Tony B.

"sleepy" ipf5000?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2006, 10:32:27 am »

I have only printed a few prints so far but one print I noticed that the printer was in sleep mode, it automatically went online and printed for me.  I am using a pc, lan connection with qimage to print.

Tony B.

Gary Damaskos

"sleepy" ipf5000?
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2006, 11:34:06 am »

My experience is the same as Tonys.
Gary

I have only printed a few prints so far but one print I noticed that the printer was in sleep mode, it automatically went online and printed for me.  I am using a pc, lan connection with qimage to print.

Tony B.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=92159\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

tonywh

"sleepy" ipf5000?
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2006, 12:13:25 pm »

its not normal, normaly you press print and it wakes the printer up. Its happened with mine a couple of times in the last 6 months. Press print it dont wake, press the green button its ok, have to use green button untill I reboot and then everything is fine again.

tony

John Hollenberg

"sleepy" ipf5000?
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2006, 12:17:26 pm »

I have installed an ipf 5000 as of two days ago, on a LAN with the TCP/IP connection.  It works fine if the 5000 is "awake", but if it has timed out to go to sleep, it will not wake up from the PC.  I can "ping" it OK when it is awake but it basically takes itself offline in the sleep mode.  Is this normal?  The Canon help person did not think so. 

Sounds abnormal to me.  I run off USB and experience a different problem that the GARO status monitor says "Cannot Acquire Status" periodically.  Canon says it is due to a USB port that doesn't meet full specs for USB 2.0 (which could be true, since I am using a cheap USB card in my desktop).  What is the status reported by the GARO status monitor?  Sleep mode?  Off?  Cannot acquire status?

--John

v70rnj

"sleepy" ipf5000?
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2006, 11:16:45 am »

OK - I have learned anew what I used to know (age does get in the way of progress.  Thanks all for the comments, particularly the reboot suggestion.  I rebooted the printer (turned it off, waited one minute, turned it back on) and now the sleep mode is just as advertised.

The 5000 seems to have a variety of strange behaviors that can be fixed by this power off, wait a minute, power back on reboot.  Maybe fragile firmware, maybe buggy chip set in the printer - but the fix is painless enough.  Probably should be the first thing to try when strange behavior is evidenced.  I used to know this stuff - back in the days of Osborne PC's and CPM OS's.

Thanks to all for the responses.

Dexter

nigeldh

• http://www.luminousnature.com
"sleepy" ipf5000?
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2006, 11:30:38 pm »

Or go with a fixed IP address. Maybe the printer is loosing its IP address while it is asleep. Or the DHCP server does not see the printer/device and drops the IP address.

v70rnj

"sleepy" ipf5000?
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2006, 04:13:40 pm »

Good thought - but I was using a fixed IP address all along.  Anyway, no more problems since restarting the printer.  It's gone to sleep, woken up, etc. for several cycles, no problems.

Dexter

John Hollenberg

"sleepy" ipf5000?
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2006, 06:09:46 pm »

Thanks for follow-up.  Added to Wiki FAQ.

--John

pellothed

"sleepy" ipf5000?
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2007, 01:14:41 pm »

I received my IPF5000 two days ago and am having a similar problem via USB.  When I shut the computer down that the printer is attached to and let the printer go into sleep mode, then turn the computer back on and try to print from it, it won't awaken the printer even though it shows to be online and ready.  The computer says that it is offline.  The only way to "wake" it is to shut it off at the surge protector and turn it back on.

John Hollenberg

"sleepy" ipf5000?
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2007, 02:57:58 pm »

I received my IPF5000 two days ago and am having a similar problem via USB.  When I shut the computer down that the printer is attached to and let the printer go into sleep mode, then turn the computer back on and try to print from it, it won't awaken the printer even though it shows to be online and ready.  The computer says that it is offline.  The only way to "wake" it is to shut it off at the surge protector and turn it back on.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

There is an updated firmware on Canon Japan (version 1.13), but we don't know what it fixes.  See [a href=\"http://www.canonipf5000.wikispaces.com]http://www.canonipf5000.wikispaces.com[/url]

--John
Pages: [1]   Go Up