Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My most difficult shot, ever  (Read 883 times)

Antonio Correia

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 184
    • Antonio Correia photography
My most difficult shot, ever
« on: May 01, 2021, 04:46:58 pm »

My most difficult shot, ever
And why was this the most difficult shot I have ever done ?

No, not because of the light conditions but instead when the result came out of the printer.

When you show or print an image of a landscape the colours may not be correct, imperfect... but when it comes to portraits the "think" is far more difficult even having all those basic parameters solved like calibrated monitor, printer profiled to the paper and so on.

I have printed 6 copies and still I don't like the final result ! Shame on me !

The light was really, really terrible and I should have used the grey card which I was carrying in the bag but did I remember such thing ? No !  >:(

Logged
All the best to you :)
António Correia
+351 969 067 950 = WhatsApp | www.antoniocorreia.com

degrub

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2555
Re: My most difficult shot, ever
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2021, 06:08:20 pm »

that salmon pink wall is playing havoc with the whites. Maybe if you neutralize the wall first and correct for the fluorescent lighting ( i assume) it will settle down and you can add back colour into the wall only.
Logged

Antonio Correia

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 184
    • Antonio Correia photography
Re: My most difficult shot, ever
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2021, 07:26:49 pm »

Degrup, thank you for your comment.
I have tried to get the right WB picking on the base of the lamp behind
But now I am tired of fighting for this shot
Cheers !:)
Logged
All the best to you :)
António Correia
+351 969 067 950 = WhatsApp | www.antoniocorreia.com

rabanito

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1587
Re: My most difficult shot, ever
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2021, 05:19:57 am »

If I did understand right, there is a problem with the prints. And that is of course not what we're seeing...
And if you are already unsatisfied with the image in your screen, what's the point of printing it?
I admit that I am no expert but it just came to my mind.
Logged

Antonio Correia

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 184
    • Antonio Correia photography
Re: My most difficult shot, ever
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2021, 05:27:55 am »

Rabanito, thank you for your comment.
Why to print ?
Because if I print the image which I have 6 times, it will be kept longer and viewed more frequently than on digital.
It can even be placed in a frame at a desk. Or on a wall.

On the other hand there are people who do not see the problem. But that is another matter. Or perhaps it si not...

The solution is pretty simple:
Make a black and white or sepia out of it. To run away from the error !
But no, I don't want that easy solution. I want colour and well done !

Cheers ! :)
Logged
All the best to you :)
António Correia
+351 969 067 950 = WhatsApp | www.antoniocorreia.com

rabanito

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1587
Re: My most difficult shot, ever
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2021, 05:54:11 am »

Sorry for the misunderstanding.
I can imagine why you'd want to print an image very well.

In my workflow I prepare my images to print first on the screen.
As I said before, if I'm not satisfied with what I see on the screen, the odds are that I'll also not be satisfied with the results out of the printer.
I just see no point in showing in "User Critiques" an image prepared for the screen because it doesn't print well, since we have no way of knowing what comes out of your printer.
One can only guess.
That's what I meant
Sorry again.
Logged

Antonio Correia

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 184
    • Antonio Correia photography
Re: My most difficult shot, ever
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2021, 06:16:47 am »

OK Rabanito. No problem.  :)

Often on screen it is great, fantastic and so on (like this very shot) and on paper a disgrace.
There are many parameters involved as you know...

Perhaps as you said, this is wrong place to post...  ::)
Logged
All the best to you :)
António Correia
+351 969 067 950 = WhatsApp | www.antoniocorreia.com

Eric Myrvaagnes

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 22813
  • http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
Re: My most difficult shot, ever
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2021, 11:26:05 am »

I waas going to suggest a cop-out: Convert to black-and-white!
But I see you already rejected that solution.

For next time, I guess the lesson is: USE THE GREY CARD if you have it with you!
Logged
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Antonio Correia

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 184
    • Antonio Correia photography
Re: My most difficult shot, ever
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2021, 12:21:50 pm »

 ;D Sure Eric.
More than that: The ColorChecker Passport is now inside the bag !
Lesson learned !  ;D
Thank you for commenting !  :)
Logged
All the best to you :)
António Correia
+351 969 067 950 = WhatsApp | www.antoniocorreia.com

BAB

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 535
Re: My most difficult shot, ever
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2021, 07:41:58 pm »

Hmm is it a color cast issue which you don’t like or is it the lighting in general?
Either way there are easy solutions for both I would suggest if the picture is important to you and wether you have or have not an idea for a final image that you hand off the original file to a professional retoucher and then to a print shop.
Out of curiosity with what camera and lens did you make this image?
Logged
I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kic

Antonio Correia

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 184
    • Antonio Correia photography
Re: My most difficult shot, ever
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2021, 06:20:25 am »

Hmm is it a color cast issue which you don’t like or is it the lighting in general?
Either way there are easy solutions for both I would suggest if the picture is important to you and wether you have or have not an idea for a final image that you hand off the original file to a professional retoucher and then to a print shop.
Out of curiosity with what camera and lens did you make this image?

Thank you Bab for your comment. :)
I am an amateur and do not intend to spend money on this as I print my self with some success, my other shots
The camera ? Sony a7 III + Sony 24 GM which I do, do love BTW !
Logged
All the best to you :)
António Correia
+351 969 067 950 = WhatsApp | www.antoniocorreia.com

kers

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 4602
    • Pieter Kers
Re: My most difficult shot, ever
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2021, 08:23:14 am »

Antonio, i agree that with skin colour you get more subtle in finding the right colour;
a blue sky abit more saturated? no problem, but do that to skin colour and it gets very ugly.

Also I agree print is so different from screen.
When i send my images to my client i always print them first ( on a calibrated printer) to check for oddities- I want them to look good both printed and on screen.
what is a problem on screen can be invisible in print and viceversa.

Then; skin colour is always a mess if the light is mixed - or from lights without a full spectrum. - good light is important for good skin colour.
With coloured walls the same- dominant good light can help a lot.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2021, 10:39:19 am by kers »
Logged

BAB

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 535
Re: My most difficult shot, ever
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2021, 09:33:00 am »

Gotcha
I’m not bother by the image other than it’s a bit cold and I would crop out or remove the black object in the left front corner.

India has some good retouching sites doing amazing work for a $2-5 few dollars per image
Logged
I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kic

Chris Calohan

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3539
  • Editing Allowed
Re: My most difficult shot, ever
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2021, 10:32:48 am »

Sent you a private message
Logged
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

Antonio Correia

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 184
    • Antonio Correia photography
Re: My most difficult shot, ever
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2021, 02:19:28 pm »

Thank Pieter, BAB and Chris for your constructive comments.

The photo would perhaps deserve a correct white balance treatment but no, I will not do it as it is not that important.
I am just an amateur and even if a always am concerned with doing good shots, this one doesn't deserve it.
The idea to make the work in India is a very good one, indeed.
Perhaps someday when I will be more deeply concerned about an image.

@Chris, I have seen it but need a bit of time to write about. Thank you ! :)
Logged
All the best to you :)
António Correia
+351 969 067 950 = WhatsApp | www.antoniocorreia.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up