Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Scratches with Red River Polar Mat  (Read 633 times)

JudyKonopka

Scratches with Red River Polar Mat
« on: April 30, 2021, 10:11:12 am »

Hi everyone,

I have run across a problem and don't know if it's the paper or the ink.  I use a Canon Pro2000 and use OEM inks and Red River's Polar Mat paper.  I am having problems with scratches on the paper. Even after I spray it with Hannamuhel protective spray.  Is it the paper or the ink?  I know this looks crazy scratched, but it was a very light back of finger rub.
 I need to correct this asap as even rolling the paper up to post makes scratches.

mearussi

Re: Scratches with Red River Polar Mat
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2021, 10:41:58 am »

Hi everyone,

I have run across a problem and don't know if it's the paper or the ink.  I use a Canon Pro2000 and use OEM inks and Red River's Polar Mat paper.  I am having problems with scratches on the paper. Even after I spray it with Hannamuhel protective spray.  Is it the paper or the ink?  I know this looks crazy scratched, but it was a very light back of finger rub.
 I need to correct this asap as even rolling the paper up to post makes scratches.
It's just the nature of matte paper. I suggest trying to lower the density to put down less ink and/or applying multiple coats of the spray. I usually use three.
I've never user RR but this technique works well for Hahnemuhle 308. Have you tried other matte papers?

JudyKonopka

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2021, 10:57:55 am »

It's just the nature of matte paper. I suggest trying to lower the density to put down less ink and/or applying multiple coats of the spray. I usually use three.
I've never user RR but this technique works well for Hahnemuhle 308. Have you tried other matte papers?

I tried their German etched paper and the absorption wasn't as good as I would have liked. I'm going to try their Aurora one now.

mearussi

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2021, 11:24:18 am »

I tried their German etched paper and the absorption wasn't as good as I would have liked. I'm going to try their Aurora one now.
Have you tried Hahnemuhle or Canson?

John Nollendorfs

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2021, 03:47:16 pm »

I've been using Aurora Natural for years and have not had any problems. Yes, you can burnish a dark area and it will leave a mark, but nothing  like what you described. I do not spray any of the art prints I do on Aurora.

JudyKonopka

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2021, 06:27:43 pm »

I've been using Aurora Natural for years and have not had any problems. Yes, you can burnish a dark area and it will leave a mark, but nothing  like what you described. I do not spray any of the art prints I do on Aurora.

Good to know, thanks.

IPDOUGLAS

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2021, 06:49:44 am »

The random direction of the scratches and indeed some look slightly curved from your supplied image suggest not a mechanical cause  (passing through the printer) but either handling issues or even some pet cat, mouse, rat of something running across/on the surface?  As you say the scratches are very superficial and can be rubbed off favouring some light abrasion.  A careful examination of the post printing and handling process might indicate the issue?

Just a suggestion
In Vino Veritas

JudyKonopka

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2021, 09:08:55 am »

The random direction of the scratches and indeed some look slightly curved from your supplied image suggest not a mechanical cause  (passing through the printer) but either handling issues or even some pet cat, mouse, rat of something running across/on the surface?  As you say the scratches are very superficial and can be rubbed off favouring some light abrasion.  A careful examination of the post printing and handling process might indicate the issue?

Just a suggestion

Yes, you're correct. I did it to show the problem the customer had (which was only one scratch in the blackest area).

rdonson

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2021, 09:10:17 pm »

I use that paper a lot.  I've got to the point of carefully taking it out of my Epson SC P800 and letting it dry down over night before handling it. 
Regards,
Ron
Pages: [1]   Go Up