Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: i1Photo Pro 2 and i1 Pro 2: Are they the same thing?  (Read 1679 times)

raminolta

i1Photo Pro 2 and i1 Pro 2: Are they the same thing?
« on: April 24, 2021, 02:21:58 pm »

I am looking into the used market to buy a spectrophotometer and X-rite definitely makes the different model devices hard to distinguish with the confusing model naming.

So far, I understand i1 pro 2 is the same thing as i1 pro revision E with model code EO2HW+EFI or EO2-XR-ULZW.

Is i1photo pro 2  (EO2PHO ) the same thing? If not, what's the difference?  In the pictures they look exactly the same. I also see a wide variation of prices in the used market.

Thanks.

GWGill

• Author of ArgyllCMS & ArgyllPRO ColorMeter
    • ArgyllCMS
Re: i1Photo Pro 2 and i1 Pro 2: Are they the same thing?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2021, 09:57:51 pm »

So far, I understand i1 pro 2 is the same thing as i1 pro revision E with model code EO2HW+EFI or EO2-XR-ULZW.
EO2PHO sounds like the model (i.e. package number). The instrument part number is printed on the instrument serial
number sticker. I would suspect that all the basic/photo/publish packages contain an EO2-XR-ULZW instrument.

But note that if you come across a EO2-XR-UF instrument that it seems to be a stripped version is missing ambient measurement,
have a UV cut filter, lack a Wavelength Calibration LED, lack Zebra Ruler stripe support, and lack a UV illumination LED.

MichaelKoerner

• www.medien-atelier.at
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2021, 02:34:50 pm »

JFYI: Xrite's device itself (the 1Pro, it's successor, the 1Pro2 (aka i1Pro Rev. E) or the latest i1Pro3) can be purchased as a simple measuring device or as a dongle.

The device itself is not too expensive. Last time I asked (some years ago) the i1Pro2 was at about 400€ here in Europe.

But most time the device acts as a dongle for Xrite's software i1Profiler, too. Dependimg on the "version" you purchased (Basic, Photo or Publish) some features get activated in i1Profiler, some not. The device itself stays the same (technically).

Most photographers/printmaker look for the "Photo" version. "Publish" can create CMYK and DeviceLink profiles, but you'd only need them in conjunction with a RIP or the like.

BTW: Same is true for Xrite's colorimeter i1Display Pro - it acts as a dongle for i1Profiler, activating monitor profiling options only.

Note 1: AFAIK, Xrite sells "normal" dongles (small USB sticks) for i1Profiler as well. So you could purchase the measuring device and the software features separately.

Note 2:: Some (not many) features of i1Profiler are "free", so you can use them without any dongle, be it a USB stick ir a measuring device.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2021, 02:58:22 pm »

Note 1: AFAIK, Xrite sells "normal" dongles (small USB sticks) for i1Profiler as well. So you could purchase the measuring device and the software features separately.

Note 2:: Some (not many) features of i1Profiler are "free", so you can use them without any dongle, be it a USB stick ir a measuring device.
Correct on both.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".
Pages: [1]   Go Up