Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How do you enjoy photos from 24MP+ digital camera  (Read 1326 times)

EinstStein

How do you enjoy photos from 24MP+ digital camera
« on: April 21, 2021, 07:04:35 pm »

The current top notch Sony TV has 85" x 8K resolution. Can it display 47MP, 50MP, or 100MP?

If print to 300dpi or 288dpi, it takes 24"or wider printer. Considering the costs or paper and ink, it would be too expensive unless limit to <1% of the shots.

It's not a problem for people making money by selling photo prints, but for majority, I can't see how to enjoy the high MP digital camera.

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
Re: How do you enjoy photos from 24MP+ digital camera
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2021, 05:34:21 am »

Simple answer is I don't.

Started with a 1.2MP, I think it was, Kodak DCS420 and there were never enough pixels. Graduated to the DCS460 with was 6MP then the Kodak Proback 16 MP square sensor. It went on and on all the way up to an 80 MP leaf. At some point that thing just wasn't getting used as much as it once was so I got rid of it and bought a Sony 42 MP mirrorless camera. I actually traded that in on a 24 MP Sony A7C a few months back. Thats what I now have with the Sony A9.

I no longer make prints bigger than A2 and even that very rarely. All of my clients have stopped printing catalogues and are online only. Billboard sites where I live are standing empty. Magazines are shut down and anyway 24MP was always enough for that. I don't look at my images on an 85 inch TV. I don't have an 85 inch TV. Most of my commercial images end up being viewed on cells phones. I have lenses from 14mm to 600mm and was never into cropping anyway so high MP for cropping doesn't interest me.

I still go out regularly to shoot for myself, for the sheer pleasure of it. I don't use a phone for that but I doubt I will ever buy another piece of photographic equipment unless it is primarily aimed at video. My still commercial work has fallen off a cliff but the video stuff is humming along quite nicely. I don't need 100MP anymore. I need 120p at 4k that doesn't overhead and can record internally at 10bit. For my hobby 24MP is more than enough.
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

chez

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2021, 11:49:03 am »

I make large prints for myself and many other family and friends. I also make large coffee table books from many of my trips. Having more pixels allows one to crop quite heavily which is a huge benefit in certain conditions.

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2021, 12:45:23 pm »

Though lower-res cameras (4-6-10-12 MP) made me a lot of $$$ though the years and many of the files from those cameras continue to my income, it's just so nice to work with a high-res capture (24-36-45+ MP) and make even a small print!

A decade ago, those lower-res files purchased the higher res cameras I use today, though mostly I've backed down to a "safe-and-sane" 24 MP for most of my work today. It's a matter of balance between ultimate resolution and having to work with tighter craft, or simply backing off a little and being a little more spontaneous and fluid.

Most of the work I produced on my first trip in nearly two years a month ago was "downgraded" even more, to an iPhone with 12 MP and enjoying myself. However, having a large-format printer to first do large, 24x30 "proof sheets" then picking some to then print on larger paper is still quite amazing to me after years of working in a small darkroom and producing small, well-crafted prints on 8x10 and 11x14. Small prints on 8.5x11 are still quite satisfying for one's lap, but it's nice to do a 24x30 or even a 30x40 or 40x60 print occasionally to hang on my wall, or better yet, deliver to a client to hang on their wall and having 100% control from the snap of the shutter.

A man I mentor will soon turn 80. Three years ago he wanted to upgrade his D300 and printing 6x9 inch images on 8.5x11 paper. He put in his time and took some high-end classes and retained the training and then put his time, effort and money into his passion. He's never looked back and now keeps pushing his craft compared to our peers...

I recommended that he just "upgrade" to a D7100/D500. But he wanted the best and went with the 45MP D850 and several full-frame lenses. Two years ago while visit France, he lusted after a wider-angle lens he seldom shot wide before the trip and found out a 20mm wasn't quite wide enough for him...

What he did when he got home was to buy a Z 7 and 14-30mm, 24-70 and the adapter for his longer lenses. But in the mean time, he's now printing larger, 10x15 inch prints in addition to his 6x9 prints and occasionally even a larger print or two. He's pushing his vision and his craft, loving what he's doing and keeps the ball rolling.

Though a lot of what he is doing could be done with lower resolution and an iPhone (which he also has), he's doing well and has lots of room to grow.

Luckily for us, we have good choice today, cameras made in the last decade or so, even lower-res cameras, are totally fine and with good craft are capable of quite remarkable and large prints, even though the math doesn't always support the rules, those rules are meant to be broken!

I purchase my first large-format printer almost 20 years ago and kept getting bigger and bigger printers until I ran out of room. It wasn't just being able to print a larger photo, it was about lower costs for paper and ink and the capability to work pragmatically and practically. Yesterday, my 44 inch printer was used to print 13x19 paper. A few days ago, it was 8x10. Last week, it was 24x30+ gang (proof) sheets. In between, I ran two 24x48 canvas panels to be mounted for a client.

Having large and well-crafted files is part of the joy working in photography and though smaller files are faster to download, edit, process and archive, it's just so nice to have a higher resolution files to start the process, even if  print smaller, since they are simply such gorgeous and full of detail that my earlier work (including film from the previous century) simply lacked.

It's all part of finding your niche and if all you are doing is posting small jewels on FB/Instagram, then an Android or iPhone is probably all you need, but for many, that high res image, 24, 36, 45, 60, 100... MP is nirvana and fits them better.
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

shadowblade

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2021, 02:08:57 pm »

Supersampling always gives better results.

An 8MP image displayed on a 4k monitor (8MP) looks OK. You'll see luminance and chroma noise, possibly some artifacts, and edges won't be particularly crisp - just like viewing a file at 100% in Photoshop.

A 24-61MP image downsized to 8MP and displayed on the same screen looks fantastic. Almost all noise becomes imperceptible, being too fine-grained to show up, and edges look crisp and sharp.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2021, 07:09:04 pm »

I have a 11 years old print hanging on my wall that is 2 meters wide (80 inches). I printed it on my 44 Epson back in the days for an exhibition in Tokyo.

It was captured as a 2 rows pano with a resulting file around 350 mega pixels. The camera was a Nikon D3x with a Zeiss 100mm makro lens.

There are many people in the scene, typically 2-3mm high (1/10 of an inch) yet they appear incredibly sharp.

As far as I recall it took 5 mins end to end to create this file with PTgui and less than 2 to capture the source images.

Would my GFX100S have had any value for this compared to the D3x? The answer is probably none. And this is again a super extreme case in terms of print size and scene demanding the highest possible level of detail.

Guillermo Luijk

• http://www.guillermoluijk.com
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2021, 05:27:33 pm »

Simple answer is I don't.

Started with a 1.2MP, I think it was, Kodak DCS420 and there were never enough pixels. Graduated to the DCS460 with was 6MP then the Kodak Proback 16 MP square sensor. It went on and on all the way up to an 80 MP leaf. At some point that thing just wasn't getting used as much as it once was so I got rid of it and bought a Sony 42 MP mirrorless camera. I actually traded that in on a 24 MP Sony A7C a few months back. Thats what I now have with the Sony A9.

I no longer make prints bigger than A2 and even that very rarely. All of my clients have stopped printing catalogues and are online only. Billboard sites where I live are standing empty. Magazines are shut down and anyway 24MP was always enough for that. I don't look at my images on an 85 inch TV. I don't have an 85 inch TV. Most of my commercial images end up being viewed on cells phones. I have lenses from 14mm to 600mm and was never into cropping anyway so high MP for cropping doesn't interest me.

I still go out regularly to shoot for myself, for the sheer pleasure of it. I don't use a phone for that but I doubt I will ever buy another piece of photographic equipment unless it is primarily aimed at video. My still commercial work has fallen off a cliff but the video stuff is humming along quite nicely. I don't need 100MP anymore. I need 120p at 4k that doesn't overhead and can record internally at 10bit. For my hobby 24MP is more than enough.

Indeed an interesting story. When the highest pixel count sensors are being thrown at the market, and best performing (and most expensive) optics created, it's right when they both are less needed. These are mysterious times...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1T1dS-bh4s

« Last Edit: April 30, 2021, 05:33:12 pm by Guillermo Luijk »

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2021, 05:53:40 pm »

As has been mentioned, many of us like to make large prints of our work, whether for personal or commercial work. But another reason for wanting really high resolution is cropping. My wife photographs birds, and even with 560mm she still gets an image with a small bird in the center. Having 50+ MP lets her crop way down and still get a useable image.
Pages: [1]   Go Up