Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New iMac  (Read 1497 times)

Jonathan Cross

New iMac
« on: April 21, 2021, 05:31:46 am »

So, another Apple Event and this time a new M1 iMac.  So many questions that will get answered in the fullness of time.  I think I caught that rendering 100MP images in Photoshop will be quick.  Am I right in thinking that as M1 MacBooks are available, LR and PS will work.  It seems the max memory may be 16GB which seems stingy, but perhaps the M1 does not need so much memory. I wonder when printer manufacturers will have M1 printer drivers.  How easy will it be to calibrate the screen?  And so on and so on!  Anyway for those of us in the market for a new machine (including me) it looks worth investigating.

Jonathan in UK

deanwork

Re: New iMac
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2021, 11:08:54 am »

I have the M1 Mac Mini with 16 gigs ram. Photoshop runs fast as a dream with giant print files. I need nothing more. The integrated components on the main board work flawlessly. I’m sold with Big Sur working perfectly, even on my older HP printers. This looks like the future for me. The M2 chip is now in production, wonder if it will be more expensive.

My Ben Q display calibrates beautifully ( haven’t tried my NEC yet as I’m trying to set up my XRite with 11.3) and the graphics card is excellent, better than my previous Macs.

John

So, another Apple Event and this time a new M1 iMac.  So many questions that will get answered in the fullness of time.  I think I caught that rendering 100MP images in Photoshop will be quick.  Am I right in thinking that as M1 MacBooks are available, LR and PS will work.  It seems the max memory may be 16GB which seems stingy, but perhaps the M1 does not need so much memory. I wonder when printer manufacturers will have M1 printer drivers.  How easy will it be to calibrate the screen?  And so on and so on!  Anyway for those of us in the market for a new machine (including me) it looks worth investigating.

pschefz

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2021, 01:27:08 pm »

I reluctantly bought a M1 air when they came out and its crazy fast. PS, phocus, fcpx everything I need (incl epson drivers and screen calibration) works native and incredibly fast.
the M1 is not the answer for everybody and everything, rendering, export of 2000 hasselblad files will be faster on the next version of the chip (M2?) but to put things into perspective, I am doing all this on a MacBook Air. with 16gb ram. it easily compares to a top of the line intel MacBook pro or iMac. at a fraction of the price, size, weight, heat(!) and power consumption. when my MacBook Pro gave me maybe 3 hours shooting tethered (with fans blasting) this is faster, silent and lasts all day. crazy.
the iMacs will be great, for me a stationary workstation should be more powerful for fcpx rendering but anything PS related will be more or less instant.
I have last years iPad, the new M1 is supposed to be twice as fast, to be honest, I can't even imagine what that will do, working with hasselblad files is instant on the old one. I guess we might see better and real pro app support with better workflow support in iPad OS.
schefz.com
artloch.com

Benny Profane

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2021, 12:08:02 pm »

Pretty good critical review of the new iMac in WAPO. Sorry if it's behind a paywall. The author is not happy with Apple's obsession with cool, thin design, sacrificing utility, which has been my complaint for years. Remember the original iMac round puck/mouse? That was a disaster that somehow got by the lawyers. My wrist still hurts. Now they've eliminated even the SD card reader, which is kind of absurd, and a real pain for photographers.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2021/06/16/apple-imac-thin/

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2021, 07:10:45 pm »

... Remember the original iMac round puck/mouse? That was a disaster that somehow got by the lawyers. My wrist still hurts. Now they've eliminated even the SD card reader, which is kind of absurd, and a real pain for photographers.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2021/06/16/apple-imac-thin/

Well that is really decades ago... if your wrist still hurts than you have used it far too long... then you should be complaining too about the sluggish first iMac that came with it, without the floppy disk! ;)
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Jonathan Cross

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2021, 12:51:38 pm »

It seems like lots of kit that it is horses for courses.  I have now ordered one, 16GB memory, 1TB internal ssd.  My current machine (windows 10) is between 9 and 10 years old and I do not want it to pack up.  The iMac meets my wants.  I do not need an SD internal reader as I do not have one on my current desktop, and have no problem about using a little USB reader.  Reports show that LR and PS are quick, and I have a MacBook Air so an attraction is to access files wirelessly between the two.  Jane and I have iPhone 12s, so sharing is easy.  I have no desire to tinker with it, and am quite happy to have Sandisk Extreme Pro SSDs attached for extra storage.  I have 2 already and fine them excellent. Backup on a Mac seems easier than on a PC.  I do not need a screen larger than 24", my current size.  For others it may be a case of YMMV.

Jonathan

Jonathan in UK

Rajan Parrikar

• Rajan Parrikar
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2021, 02:54:32 pm »

What I wish for is the M1(2) equivalent of the now-discontinued iMac Pro. Hopefully the higher spec'ed iMac to come will meet this standard.
Pages: [1]   Go Up