Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Art, doorway or just an empty box?  (Read 543 times)

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
Art, doorway or just an empty box?
« on: April 18, 2021, 06:50:13 am »

From my local wanderings during lockdown.

My dear wife critiqued this image as soon as I showed it to her, as being "One of those clever git shots.." and I took this as the sincerest form of compliment  ;D ;D ;D

Dave

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: Art, doorway or just an empty box?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2021, 09:16:57 am »

Very cool abstract, Dave.

francois

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2021, 09:39:41 am »

From my local wanderings during lockdown.

My dear wife critiqued this image as soon as I showed it to her, as being "One of those clever git shots.." and I took this as the sincerest form of compliment  ;D ;D ;D

Dave

I like this one a lot… As with many abstracts, one can interpret it differently.
Francois

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2021, 11:08:27 am »

Definitely Art.
And it is fun to read it in different ways.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

degrub

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2021, 01:01:07 pm »

It flips back and forth (in-out) in my brain so it has some good optical illusion character. ;D

sf

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2021, 02:02:34 pm »

I have relatives who would say the same thing - and I'd take it just the same way. It's a good abstract, I agree.

S

John R

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2021, 12:14:35 am »

What do you know, lock-down art; otherwise known as an abstract that is that product of good seeing! If you have more, would love to see them. Walking in the same area can cause one to see things otherwise missed in the normal pace of day.

JR

Rajan Parrikar

• Rajan Parrikar
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2021, 04:00:13 am »

Excellent.

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2021, 05:31:07 am »

Thanks everyone and I must admit I am a little surprised that this image has received so many positive reviews. I mean this sort of shot is a difficult concept to get one's head around as a photograph and to most photographers I would imagine and so I am really very pleased you all like it  ;)

What do you know, lock-down art; otherwise known as an abstract that is that product of good seeing! If you have more, would love to see them. Walking in the same area can cause one to see things otherwise missed in the normal pace of day.

JR

OK John, your wish is my command and yes I do have more of these types of 'Observational' shots - I call this one "The Strangled Frog or Boat Hitch", but which of course is just a rope tied around a boat hitch. But hey, if you guys like this sort of thing ;D

I don't know if it's the colours, or the lines, or the shapes in this shot, but when I look at my "Strangled Frog" image now, I feel as though it might be starting to stray into the William Eggleston style of photography??

Dave
« Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 06:36:16 am by Dave (Isle of Skye) »

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2021, 05:38:21 am »

Good geometry and shadow play, but I find the brightness and contrast a tad agressive.

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2021, 10:23:13 am »

Dave,
Just call it "Strangled Frog." It doesn't need the literal explanation of "boat hitch."

Well seen!
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Frans Waterlander

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2021, 02:44:28 pm »

Yes, I like those images a lot! Keep them coming!

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2021, 02:34:19 pm »

Thanks everyone  ;)

...but I find the brightness and contrast a tad agressive.

Yes I agree Paulo, but (there is always a "but" isn't there?) the light on that day was about as contrasty and aggressive as it could be, so I haven't in fact done much more to the image than crop it, as the direct light and shadow playing across the pebble dashing, is sort of making it look as though I have really gone to town on the contrast and sharpening, but in fact I haven't. Perhaps it is the "Acutance" that is being provided naturally by the sun that is making it look a little bit too "Crunchy" for your tastes?

Yes, I like those images a lot! Keep them coming!

Hi Frans,

Yes OK I would be more than happy to do so, but I will put them up as individual shots for comment, rather than just keep tagging them onto the end of this thread - but in the meantime, perhaps you missed my recent "Ghost Trees" shot? Which I would also put into this type of "observational" category.

Thanks again everyone  ;)

Dave

John R

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2021, 12:31:56 am »

Dave,
Just call it "Strangled Frog." It doesn't need the literal explanation of "boat hitch."

Well seen!
I agree with Eric. If your aim is to convey something you see or discovered, call it whatever you want to convey.

Good geometry and shadow play, but I find the brightness and contrast a tad agressive.

I am not sure I see what Paulo sees. I like the high contrast and especially the realistic bounce of the reflected white light. Don't understand how people often say something is too hot. As if there is no such thing as white skies, white highlights and just plain white-out areas. My critique of this image is that it is kind of tight in its crop, and I think the triangular overall shape can use some space on the left side. Otherwise I really like it.

JR

Pages: [1]   Go Up