Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dead Printer Course of Action Advice Needed  (Read 561 times)

PaulStL

Dead Printer Course of Action Advice Needed
« on: April 15, 2021, 02:14:58 pm »

My company has an Epson 4880 and 7890.  Unfortunately, a crazy electrical stormed damaged the printers.  The 4880 is unrepairable (replacement part unavailable) but the 7890 is repairable.  The insurance company has authorized money to replace the 4880 and the complete set of spare cartridges that go with it.  They've also authorized the repair of the 7890.  The obvious and easy thing to do is replace the 4880 with the 5000 and repair the 7890 but I'm wondering if I should go another route, perhaps repair and sell the 7890 and replace the 4880 with a Z9+ or Epson P7570/9570 or just replace both with 5000 and Z9+/P7570/P9570.  I like the sheet paper handling of the 4880 and have primarily used it for sheet work and the 7890 for roll printing (and obviously larger prints).  A couple of things to consider is, first, I have to do something with each printer or I only get the depreciated value, that is, I get the full amount for replacing and repairing but only a fraction if I don't do anything.  Second, there's a six month time limit for "doing something" and that six month limit is running out soon.  Third thing to consider, the cartridges in the 7890 are 700ml, all of them are almost full and the insurance company won't compensate me for them if I replaced that printer.  And finally, printing is not our business, it's part of our business but we do make fairly regular use of the printers (a few boxes of sheet and 200-300' of roll per year).

Any advice about what course of action I should consider would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

mearussi

Re: Dead Printer Course of Action Advice Needed
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2021, 10:29:19 am »

My company has an Epson 4880 and 7890.  Unfortunately, a crazy electrical stormed damaged the printers.  The 4880 is unrepairable (replacement part unavailable) but the 7890 is repairable.  The insurance company has authorized money to replace the 4880 and the complete set of spare cartridges that go with it.  They've also authorized the repair of the 7890.  The obvious and easy thing to do is replace the 4880 with the 5000 and repair the 7890 but I'm wondering if I should go another route, perhaps repair and sell the 7890 and replace the 4880 with a Z9+ or Epson P7570/9570 or just replace both with 5000 and Z9+/P7570/P9570.  I like the sheet paper handling of the 4880 and have primarily used it for sheet work and the 7890 for roll printing (and obviously larger prints).  A couple of things to consider is, first, I have to do something with each printer or I only get the depreciated value, that is, I get the full amount for replacing and repairing but only a fraction if I don't do anything.  Second, there's a six month time limit for "doing something" and that six month limit is running out soon.  Third thing to consider, the cartridges in the 7890 are 700ml, all of them are almost full and the insurance company won't compensate me for them if I replaced that printer.  And finally, printing is not our business, it's part of our business but we do make fairly regular use of the printers (a few boxes of sheet and 200-300' of roll per year).

Any advice about what course of action I should consider would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.
You won't find a better sheet handling printer than the P5000 so I would definitely buy it. As for the 7890, if you can upgrade then do so and if there's room to a 44" printer either Epson or Canon.

PaulStL

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2021, 09:33:56 am »

Thanks for the feedback.  Your suggestion is really what I want to do, I'm just struggling with the thought of all that ink in the 7890.   :D

mearussi

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2021, 09:51:42 am »

You won't find a better sheet handling printer than the P5000 so I would definitely buy it. As for the 7890, if you can upgrade then do so and if there's room to a 44" printer either Epson or Canon.
If it's unopened it will sell well on eBay.
Pages: [1]   Go Up