Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Reuters going behind paywall  (Read 381 times)

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
Reuters going behind paywall
« on: April 15, 2021, 12:47:37 pm »

I've been quoting Reuters in many of my posts. I liked Reuters, but unfortunately, they will be soon charging for the access to their website. It looks like I'll have to switch soon to other sources.

The newly revamped Reuters.com is hoping to attract professional audiences prepared to pay $34.99 per month for a deeper level of coverage and data on industry verticals that include legal, sustainable business, healthcare and autos.

Reuters.com will remain free for a preview period, but will require users to register after five stories. It is not immediately clear when it will begin charging.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

Re: Reuters going behind paywall
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2021, 03:20:29 pm »

I've been quoting Reuters in many of my posts. I liked Reuters, but unfortunately, they will be soon charging for the access to their website. It looks like I'll have to switch soon to other sources.

It's sad that this is going to happen, not unexpected, but sad nevertheless.
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2021, 04:27:03 pm »

It's sad that this is going to happen, not unexpected, but sad nevertheless.

$35 a month does seem steep, but it's true that many people have this notion that content on the web should be free or really cheap. That's not realistic. An online only news source does not have printing costs, but they still have to pay the reporters, editors, fact checkers, copy editors, etc etc.

TechTalk

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2021, 04:50:11 pm »

Reuters is an excellent and reputable source for news. In addition to the five free views per month they will offer, I'm hoping that news stories from them will still be showing up in other free sources of news.

Some paywall news services can still be read from a Google cached version of their stories like the Washington Post; others like the New York Times cannot be read that way.
Respice, adspice, prospice - Look to the past, the present, the future
Pages: [1]   Go Up