Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Comparison  (Read 1972 times)

armand

• Photos
Comparison
« on: April 12, 2021, 02:29:02 pm »

Almost same shot, several seconds apart.

One is iPhone Pro Max, the 13 mm equiv camera, shot as ProRaw and processed on iPhone and LR.
The other is a Nikon Z7 with the 14-24 2.8S, shot at 14 mm and F16.

Jonathan Cross

Re: Comparison
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2021, 04:29:13 pm »

Thanks for this, Armand.  This sort of comparison is very welcome.  I have an iPhone 12pro and a mirrorless with a selection of lenses, including a 100-400mm.  For electronic communication and sketching I am using the iPhone more and more.  I find the out of phone jpegs great and am not convinced of the need for the inbuilt RAW.  Portraits are very satisfying IMHO.  Added to all this is that it is always in my pocket.  I would not use it for wildlife or sport.  I only print up to A3+ (13"x19") so will do printing from it. I still have a 15"x10" print on the wall taken with my first digital camera, a 6MP Canon 10D, and am still pleased!

Of course it is horses for courses, but what can be done with this phone is impressive and is a warning shot to traditional manufacturers.  I have just received a light tripod mount and a Bluetooth remote release both for the phone from Amazon for a very reasonable price, so will now investigate video.  The iPhone seems to be making creativity easier.

Best wishes,

Jonathan
Jonathan in UK

armand

• Photos
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2021, 04:03:23 pm »

The shocking part is sometimes at small sizes the contrast/color is better on iPhone than what I could get on my larger cameras, when only much more time spent would give something close.

Another comp

francois

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2021, 11:22:28 am »

In these last images, I agree, the iPhone shot has a better and more realistic sky. I'm always surprised by the images that come out of iPhones…
Francois

John Nollendorfs

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2021, 01:18:05 pm »

I guess, just combine iPhone or Pixel phone images with PS super res, and you can kiss your Canon, Nikon or Sony slr goodbye?

If I'm serious about shooting, I take the Nikon. But I always have the Pixel 4a in my pocket!

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2021, 05:46:35 pm »

My iPhone 6 can't do that. It has no stabilization, and I have to hold it at arm's length to take a picture, and it always wobbles and blurs.
So I'm sticking with my pocket Canon for walk-around and my Sony RX10 M3 (with effectively 24 to 600mm zooming) for "serious" work.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2021, 11:26:54 pm »

I guess, just combine iPhone or Pixel phone images with PS super res, and you can kiss your Canon, Nikon or Sony slr goodbye?

My experience with an iphone 11 pro and PS super res is not good. Horrible pattern noise and color noise, useless!

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2021, 06:00:48 pm »

Pretty nice at this small size! IMO, even side-by-side at up to maybe 11x14 or even 16x20 the phones are getting better and better as the traditional camera makers seem to simply iterate small improvements...

In the last year I updated my SE to X to XS and now a 12 and shooting sometimes side-by-size with my Z6. During the lockdowns, it was one nice diversion that kept my creativity from withering.

My recent week on the road to SoCal and the Colorado and Mojave deserts, I had more fun with my iPhone 12 than with my Z6 though I have a full collection of both modern and vintage (1950s-1960s Leica) lenses.

The spontaneity shooting with the 12 and having all the tools in a box that fits in my pocket was priceless and enjoyable! Yet being able to get a larger file, shoot vintage lenses also has its merits. But then, there's the cumbersome post on the Z6, captions and metadata, spotting the skies, especially small aperture/wide angel lenses...

This trip, I used the Z6 like I was shooting film and left the processing/post until I got home versus having a blast in situ with the iPhone and playing with the images in the which was a lot like shooting an SX-70 and manipulating the prints while still wet.

The iPhone is becoming another useful tool in the field for more than just a fast snap...it's fast to share the images (AirDrop, FB, Instagram, texting and email) and a lot of fun and useful for sketching before making the commitment to the "real" camera, if I even decide to do so.

No matter what, they both take good craft to create a great image. Images with the iPhone are capable of remarkable prints, some even quite large and even before the "enhanced resolution" that for some images works great and others not so nice.

The writing is on the wall and I hope I can make it through the next big shake-out and keep up on the bleeding edge and making new work.
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

armand

• Photos
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2021, 05:08:17 pm »

Nikon Z7 with 24-70 F4, Olympus E-M5ii with 12-100 F4, iPhone 12 Pro Max wide lens (5.1mm)

armand

• Photos
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2021, 05:10:47 pm »

Same camera/lenses as above

armand

• Photos
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2021, 05:14:34 pm »

And one more (all 3 posts during the same outing)
Pages: [1]   Go Up