Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: WTF - Adobe keeps screwing up Photoshop - GPU  (Read 2019 times)

nemophoto

• Nemo Niemann Photography
WTF - Adobe keeps screwing up Photoshop - GPU
« on: April 11, 2021, 02:44:33 pm »

I've been working in Photoshop 2021. I couldn't figure out why some functions didn't work the same such as smooth zoom with the magnfying glass (and others). I went into preferences and found that PS 2021 doesn't see my graphics card -- a Radeon RX 5700 XT. I found this odd. It exists in LR (though implementation is pretty iffy). It exists in preferences for Camera RAW. Fortunately, I still have both 2020 and 2019 installed on my PC. I discovered there was absolutely no problem recognizing the GPU. (See screen shots).

Anyone else have this issue and anyone figure out how to fix it? This has been a periodic issue with Photoshop, from what I can tell. Something to do with a "sniffer", but none of the remedies seem really straightforward and often don't fix the issue. (There's the typical, "Uninstall and then...".) Ever since Adobe went to subscription, I feel the updates have been rushed an sloppy, often breaking things that were previously unbroken.

sportmaster

Re: WTF - Adobe keeps screwing up Photoshop - GPU
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2021, 03:52:39 pm »

This issue is supposed to be fixed in the most recent update.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2021, 07:53:48 pm »

some things do not work properly also here ( photoshop 22.3)..
sometimes drawing a rectangular selection is going in slowmotion; opening photoshop by clicking on a file does often not work ( spinning pizzawheel)
- fortunately version 21 is very stable even after the most recent updates...
LR 10 is working well; had no problem at all, unlike some.
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

nemophoto

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2021, 11:03:40 am »

Even with the latest update, the GPU data is still missing (see screenshot). Good job Adobe!! I also experience the awful lags in doing some tasking is Photoshop -- brushes don't paint in real time periodically. One pet peeve, which I see in Lightroom as well, you have a tool, you use the space bar to get the hand tool to move to another part of an image you release and the image snaps back to where it was previously. I must let go of the space bar, count to 2, THEN I can release the mouse button.

Seems like Adobe needs the "updates" just to correct what they have broken in the process of the previous update. Invariably, performance suffers.

I do not have a slug for a system. I have an ASUS MB, a Ryzen 3900x CPU, a Radeon RX 5700 XL GP, 64GB of RAM, two NVMe drives (my C: is on one, 98% of all programs -- PS and LR included -- are on the other. And yet, performance with PS and LR is going downhill.

sportmaster

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2021, 09:58:02 am »

Mine started working again after the most recent update

rdonson

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2021, 04:10:52 pm »

I have a 2017 27" iMac 40 GB RAM, quad core Intel Core i7 running Big Sur with PS 22.3.1 - not the newest or fastest rig.  Everything working just fine.

Regards,
Ron

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2021, 05:17:36 pm »

Mine started working again after the most recent update

Same here.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2021, 06:24:00 pm »

http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2021, 08:31:12 pm »

So far not any problems with last week's update on my souped-up 2009 MacPro, Mojave, with Radion 7950 GPU though the first version of ACR 13 a couple of months ago was an issue which has been fixed in a more recent version and is working fine.
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

Garnick

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2021, 02:25:09 pm »

Hello Larry,

Even though I cannot reply to this thread with any positive info, this is what caught my eye in your last reply -- "2009 MacPro, Mojave, with Radion 7950 GPU".  I have a 2009 Mac Pro as well as a 2012 Mac Pro.  I just checked Mactracker and this is still the info for the 2009 Mac Pro -- "Maximum OS - OS X 10.11.6 (15G31)" which of course is El Capitan.  Seems like you have found a way around that particular restriction.  If so, I'd like to get the recipe for how one could bypass that restriction if possible.  That is indeed quite  SOUP you have put together!

Very Interested  :)

Gary 
« Last Edit: April 17, 2021, 08:06:17 am by Garnick »
Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)

plugsnpixels

• http://www.plugsandpixels.com
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2021, 01:02:18 pm »

Gary, see here: http://dosdude1.com/mojave/

I have Mojave running on 2008 and 2010 MBP's just because I can...
Digital imaging blog, software discounts:
www.plugsandpixels.com/blog

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2021, 04:21:01 pm »

Hey Gary,

My upgrades went little-by-little with my MP 2009, 4,1 machine which does max-out at El Capitan...

First it was hard drives, them RAM maxed out, a second-hand, flashed Radeon 7950, SSDs, then a couple of years ago I swapped-out the 4-core 2.66GHZ for a 6-core 3.46 Xeon...

Both the Radeon and the 6-core were from eBay. The Radeon was simply a matter of plug-and-play and install a driver but the 6-core was a little more but quite easy. First thing was to update/flash the EPROM to update the system to 5,1. The vendor I used had all the instructions and steps as part of the update and sent the link to get me started. The Xeon wasn't too bad to replace and the kit included the tools needed to disassemble the processor card heatsink and I think a spudger to pry out the old CPU along with thermal paste.

That update didn't take too long and was quite easy.

In the end, I was able to update to Mojave and ACR ran more threads simultaneously as it processed my raw files, so it worked out well.

Even though I'm working on files that now regularly tip the scale around 400-500 MB in size and larger, overall speed still seems quite good to me for my normal workflow and processing sometimes several hundred files at a time for an occasional wedding or other large event.

I would be happy to continue working on this system and software for years to come but know the writing is on the wall and in the next couple of years, I'll need to upgrade to one of the newer RISC-based Mx systems and newer MacOS versions. Even so, I'll still be running this system for the foreseeable future since I still have totally functional though now obsolete software I just can't see paying for upgrades/monthly license fees, etc.

I'll most likely need to have one system for photo processing and this system for everything else...unless I win the lottery ;-)

So to make your older system Mojave compatible will in the very least require you to find the instructions and EPROM installer to modify your system to 5,1 and then you'll need to find an installer for Mojave.

I kept on High Sierra as long as I could knowing my system was quite stable. BUT Adobe updated PS/ACR with features I really wanted so I bought a newer and larger SSD, cloned my old system onto it, did the update and found that the upgrade went quite well and that I had both few issues and little software I needed to upgrade.

By doing my last system upgrade on a new drive, it gave me a fast and easy downgrade path just in case. Luckily, the upgrade went easily and I was up and going in just a couple of days...
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

nemophoto

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2021, 11:05:37 am »

Mine is STILL broken. After much digging into this issue, I have discovered that this issue is somewhat GPU agnostic (AMD and nVidia) and that it is NOT a driver issue. I have discovered that a number of people had no issues with 2021 until the most recent versions of 22.3 and 22.3.1 (mine). Only by uninstalling and then rolling back to an earlier version have they overcome this issue. The problem seems to be more PC oriented, but a few Mac users reported the same issues. As I stated in my original post, versions 2020 and 2019 have zero GPU issues with regard to recognizing the GPU.

Getting deeper into this, the issue is an Adobe program called sniffer.exe crashes when PS is launched. If is run that same program outside Photoshop and read the log text files, it recognizes my GPU without an issue.

In short, crappy coding on Adobe's part. But then, ever since they made the mad dash to subscription-based sales and therefore are under the gun to "deliver" value throughout the year, they invariably break something. PS 2021 is almost unusable on my system because of graphic artifacts, rough scrolling, lags, bad screen redraws, etc. Frankly, it doesn't deliver much over 2020, so I'll just use that for a while. Adobe's screw ups is exactly why I now keep three  generations of PS on my computer. Of course, they insidious creep of crappy programming has crept into LR as well.

Garnick

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2021, 11:54:33 am »

Thanks for the info Gents,

I've copied the URL of the instructions for upgrading the MP-2009, although I rather doubt that I'll be going through that procedure for something that I really don't need at this point.  The MP-2009 is basically a backup for the MP-2012 in the case of an issue that might interrupt a job that has a deadline.  I'm still using PS CS-6 on both MPs and all is working well.  On the MP-2012 I also have three Boot-Clones of the Macintosh HD, so if my usual boot drive has a problem I can easily boot up on one of the Clone Drives and be back in work within a couple of minutes.  I've also done my homework on the procedure of installing Mojave on the MP-2012 and basically all I need for that is a Metal accommodating GPU which I've also looked at.     

And again, thank you for the information  :) ;D
Gary N.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2021, 07:02:04 pm »

Thanks for the info Gents,

I've copied the URL of the instructions for upgrading the MP-2009, although I rather doubt that I'll be going through that procedure for something that I really don't need at this point.  The MP-2009 is basically a backup for the MP-2012 in the case of an issue that might interrupt a job that has a deadline.  I'm still using PS CS-6 on both MPs and all is working well.  On the MP-2012 I also have three Boot-Clones of the Macintosh HD, so if my usual boot drive has a problem I can easily boot up on one of the Clone Drives and be back in work within a couple of minutes.  I've also done my homework on the procedure of installing Mojave on the MP-2012 and basically all I need for that is a Metal accommodating GPU which I've also looked at.     

And again, thank you for the information  :) ;D

At some point the motherboard is the weakest link, but yes the old Macpro-machines are really good and you can upgrade a lot. Must say that if you try a new machine it will be 5 times faster.
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Garnick

« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2021, 11:50:41 am »

At some point the motherboard is the weakest link, but yes the old Macpro-machines are really good and you can upgrade a lot. Must say that if you try a new machine it will be 5 times faster.

Thanks for the reply and this quote specifically.  However, at my stage in life the words FAST and FASTER are no longer a part my vocabulary.

IF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN  ;D ;D :( :( ::)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 11:54:37 am by Garnick »
Gary N.

BAB

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2021, 03:39:34 pm »

Still running Catalina and not having any issues with Adobe except with LR. Yesterday my Macbook Pro 2020 upon a restart went into upgrading on its own and definitely upgraded the OS not to BigSur but it might have loaded some background shit. The upgrade was 30 min...HUM!

Haven't had PS issues but LR in develop mode images are still messed up regarding showing crisp focus... in Library mode no issues, but same file in Develop mode will not snap into crisp focus.

Maybe Adobe could upgrade PS so its comparable to other 2021 programs out there but I think the large non printing world wants or demands outweighs the demand for print world. Meaning if you're only posting images who really cares?

I can't live without PS but still using lots of other software to get my look in the Landscape images I make. The exception for other software has been the portraits I take with the Hasselblad files I don't find a need for any other software beyond the Phocus and some cleaning in PS.
I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kic

nemophoto

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2021, 09:57:00 am »

As of now, there are no work around I have found to correct Adobe’s lack of GPU support in my PS2021. I’ve gone back to using PS2020 — no real difference anyway, only marketing. Or I’ll use my Affinity Photo more.

nemophoto

« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2021, 12:09:44 pm »

It seems that with PS 2021 (22.4.1), Adobe has finally addressed the disappearing GPU on some systems. I have had a personal record of launching Photoshop five times over the past couple days and each time PS has recognized my GPU.

I would hopefully say that the issue has been rectified.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2021, 12:49:43 pm »

Good news! took 2 months...
I am still on the older version for the last time i tried i found it unstable... maybe that has been repaired too...
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la
Pages: [1]   Go Up