Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NFTs, the way of the future?  (Read 489 times)

Vieri Bottazzini

• WEBSITES
NFTs, the way of the future?
« on: April 10, 2021, 11:58:34 am »

In today's fast developing cryptoworld, NFT are gaining new followers, collectors and creators everyday. While there are people on both sides of the fence, lovers and haters, supporters and denigrators, believers and sceptics, it is clear to me that NFTs are here to stay - as are blockchain and cryptocurrencies.

Personally, I find NFTs interesting for various reasons.

Commercially, I love the fact that hey are adding unicity to what would otherwise be just another digital file that everyone can copy, duplicate and share without recognising any compensation - or even credit - to the author.

Artistically, as a Fine Art landscape photographer who has been working for a long time on investigating the effects of time on still images, and on representing it in my photographs, I love the fact that they will stay around forever - as much as there can be such a thing as "forever" in the first place, of course - and that adds a layer of "timelessness" to my work on the effects of time. Plus, it gives me the possibility to play with moving stills in a way that the printed medium obviously doesn't allow me to do.

Last, I love the fact that the files are "out there" divided among all and belonging to none, so to speak - the beauty of blockchain applied to art.

Therefore, I started a Foundation account where I started collecting art, and where I also will be minting my own, starting soon now that I became a creator. Here it is, for those interested: ​https://foundation.app/vieribottazzini​​​

So, what do you think about NFT and their application to the art of photography? Looking forward to your thoughts, best regards

Vieri
Vieri Bottazzini
Ambassador for Phase One, H&Y Filters & NYA-EVO
https://linktr.ee/vieribottazzini

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
Re: NFTs, the way of the future?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2021, 03:45:27 pm »

As much as I wouldn't mind selling some I can't see much point in it as a buyer. Maybe that is just me.
It's just not tangible enough to seem valuable, even though it technically may be. 
-MattB

James Clark

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2021, 03:57:17 pm »

As much as I wouldn't mind selling some I can't see much point in it as a buyer. Maybe that is just me.
It's just not tangible enough to seem valuable, even though it technically may be.

I tend to agree with you (in that I don't see the value personally), but I strongly, strongly suspect that for a generation of people who have never known anything other than digital format content and electronic financial transactions, the calculation will be different.  I think we're hard-wired to hoard scarcity, and if the only way to create "uniqueness" or scarcity with modern creative content is a blockchained digital signature, I think millennials and subsequent generations are going to go for it.   

Not really relevant, but a few years ago I pondered selling editions of my work, with a singular "final edition" piece including the original RAW file on a card, after which I would delete it from my drive.  I never followed through with it, but I suspected then that there was value to digital scarcity. 

Just my 2 cents...

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2021, 04:49:32 am »

I'm considering offering the next image in my next series as undeveloped film. The dealer/collector would have the potential to own a genuine Keith Laban masterpiece or indeed a genuine Keith Laban catastrophe. Of course, in order to see the image they would have to develop the film resulting in an image that could be reproduced ad Infinitum or they could just retain the undeveloped film.

As an alternative I'm considering offering the finished image as a free, downloadable, full size, ready to print, tiff image for the delectation or consternation of the world and his wife.

Decisions, decisions...

Vieri Bottazzini

• WEBSITES
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2021, 06:05:43 am »

I tend to agree with you (in that I don't see the value personally), but I strongly, strongly suspect that for a generation of people who have never known anything other than digital format content and electronic financial transactions, the calculation will be different.  I think we're hard-wired to hoard scarcity, and if the only way to create "uniqueness" or scarcity with modern creative content is a blockchained digital signature, I think millennials and subsequent generations are going to go for it.   

Not really relevant, but a few years ago I pondered selling editions of my work, with a singular "final edition" piece including the original RAW file on a card, after which I would delete it from my drive.  I never followed through with it, but I suspected then that there was value to digital scarcity. 

Just my 2 cents...

Hello James,

I agree with you on this. I think that NFTs offer a great opportunity to open a new market for our work (or at least for work suitable to the medium), not to replace what we already have (in my case, fine art prints). In my particular case, since I sell Fine Art prints in editions of one copy only, the fact that NFTs are also single editions works well to integrate them into my offer more "seamlessly", so to speak.

Times change, public change, medium change. That's the way it always has been, and very likely the way it always will be - it's up to each of us to decide whether we are willing to embrace the (possible) future, or one of the possible futures, with the risks involved. I believe that blockchains are here to stay, and thus NFTs are very likely here to stay as well. I also believe that if one is willing to try, getting in the game early and creating a reputation is the best way to ensure success. If, on the other hand, the while NFT thing will just disappear in a short time, for me personally it will be a matter of writing off a few hundred dollars worth of minted artwork - not the end of the world, and in my opinion definitely worth a try.

Best regards,

Vieri
Vieri Bottazzini
Ambassador for Phase One, H&Y Filters & NYA-EVO
https://linktr.ee/vieribottazzini
Pages: [1]   Go Up