Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 3880 ... prints blanks!  (Read 1368 times)

praja343

Epson 3880 ... prints blanks!
« on: March 30, 2021, 10:04:49 am »

Hello:

I have an Epson 3880 and recently I got a replace maintenance cartridge message soon when I printed a page. The page came out blank. I replaced the maintenance cartridge and the message went away. I tried to print the same page … again a blank page. I tried printing a nozzle check diagram and again a blank. Looks like none of the nozzles are firing. The printer was fine a couple of weeks ago. No changes on the computer which is an iMac with an intel i9 processor running Mojave. Any suggestions why this happened and what to do?

Thanks in advance.

Balafre

Re: Epson 3880 ... prints blanks!
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2021, 12:21:22 am »

Mine did that too - spent ages and litres of ink trying to clean the head which turned out to be cracked. Too costly to replace. Bought SC P-900 and have never looked back :)
Generally with photo-printers one must print something every week to keep the heads flushed. Be prepared to cut your losses :(

arobinson7547

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2021, 08:30:29 am »

I agree. Don't get into the Rabbit Hole.

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2021, 09:24:59 am »

I tried printing a nozzle check diagram and again a blank. Looks like none of the nozzles are firing.
Is it going through the motions as you would expect when printing, ie positioning the paper in the correct place and then moving the head across the page several times and then ejecting the paper, or is the paper just passing straight through ?

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2021, 12:48:08 pm »

Generally with photo-printers one must print something every week to keep the heads flushed. Be prepared to cut your losses :(
"All generalizations are false, including this one." -Mark Twain
I can go months and months without printing, without issue on 10+ year old 3880.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Rhossydd

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2021, 01:22:02 pm »

I can go months and months without printing, without issue on 10+ year old 3880.
My 3800 only died after nine months without printing.

Simon J.A. Simpson

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2021, 06:43:30 am »

I have an Epson 3880 and recently I got a replace maintenance cartridge message soon when I printed a page. The page came out blank. I replaced the maintenance cartridge and the message went away. I tried to print the same page … again a blank page. I tried printing a nozzle check diagram and again a blank. Looks like none of the nozzles are firing. The printer was fine a couple of weeks ago. No changes on the computer which is an iMac with an intel i9 processor running Mojave. Any suggestions why this happened and what to do?

1.  Does the printer go through the motions of trying to print ink on the page; the carriage goes back and forth ?  If so, this is likely to be a clogged head.
2.  Does the printer simply eject a blank page without trying to print ?  In which case the printer thinks it has to eject the page.  Could this be something to do with replacing the maintenance cartridge ?  Does something need to be reset in the printer or computer ?

Rhossydd

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2021, 07:23:17 am »

1.  Does the printer go through the motions of trying to print ink on the page; the carriage goes back and forth ?  If so, this is likely to be a clogged head.
With head clogs there's usually at least something printed on the page. If the page is entirely blank and the head is going back and forth as if it should be printing, something is significantly faulty. That could be a faulty head or an internal connection failure.

I'm assuming these tests are being made via the printer's own control panel, not via the computer.

pflower

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2021, 06:27:59 pm »

If you run a nozzle check via the lcd panel do you get anything?

If not then there is a printer problem.

If you do get something then check and if necessary change your usb cable - I had all kinds of problems with both a 3800 and then a 3880 due to faulty usb cables.  It is just about possible that sufficient information is getting through to start the printer but then nothing else.  At least worth a try.  Otherwise it is on to Epson technical support - who are actually pretty good when it comes to troubleshooting support even if your printer is out of warranty.

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2021, 07:11:35 pm »

Sounds dead but try turning off and then disconnect / reconnect power and then back on again.
Try a print check and ink check from the control panel of the printer.
Try to change black inks. It could be a stuck pump or many other things.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

martin archer-shee

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2021, 07:20:44 pm »

I have been using inks from inkjetmall.com for a number of years on my 2 3880's and have no complaints. Their blacks are deeper than Epson's too.The inks are great and work with the same profiles as Epson inks and cost a lot less. I have had virtually no clogged heads, maybe a few missing bars from time to time. More important, with regards to this question, they are very knowledgeable with Epson printers and can often put one in the right direction. They also have a very good "community" page.
Even if you do not wish to purchase their inks it is worth looking in on them.
Good luck
Martin

praja343

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2021, 10:21:56 pm »

Thanks all for your suggestions. Just got the printer back.... somehow a paper clip had worked its way and was blocking the pump from pushing ink according to the technician. Paper clip is now not a part of the printer and now printing fine.

Simon J.A. Simpson

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2021, 01:34:12 am »

Thanks all for your suggestions. Just got the printer back.... somehow a paper clip had worked its way and was blocking the pump from pushing ink according to the technician. Paper clip is now not a part of the printer and now printing fine.

Well, that's a new one !

I'm very pleased you got the issue resolved and now a working printer.
Pages: [1]   Go Up