Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fuji GFX 100S - took delivery from my local dealer yesterday, 3-20-2021!  (Read 2042 times)

Lust4Life

• Shadows Dancing

Purchased the GFX 50S when it was first released and have used it extensively, very pleased with it in my landscape work.
Previously used Hasselblad H series up trough the H5D 50 WiFi.  I did purchase the GFX 100 when it came out but was not comfortable
with it's setup or weight, I now have limits on just what I can carry.

When I first reviewed the specs on the 100S, looked like I'd be willing to give up my tilt EVF and after playing with the 100S and setting it up,
first impressions are great.

Spent today setting it up - will be running my tests on it over the next couple of day.
One thing I learned is that the proc engine drops the RAW file to 14 bits from 16 anytime Continuous shooting is selected - say Exposure Bracket, etc.
I confirmed this with test this afternoon using RAW Digger.

Anyone else get theirs?  First impressions?

Jack
https://seekingtobefound.com

Lust4Life

• Shadows Dancing

Pixel Shift - produces file of 16 exposures of 16 bits, each 120 MB.
Using Fuji Pixel Shift software produced one DNG file of 1.47 GB, RAW Digger could not read to tell me the bits deep.  I find no User switch to force it to gen even a 14 bit out of Pixel Shift.
Imported DNG into PS, it's only shown as an 8 bit file but is it beautiful!
Dimensions are 77.65 wide x 58.24 high.

Anyone know of an alternative software program to give more input from the user?

Impressions: 
Beautiful image on my 4K monitor even though it's just 8 bits.
Would be great for interior design scenes.
In landscape shots, tried a few but EVEN THE SLIGHTEST BREEZE produces artifacts.
Wondering about cityscape architecture shots - will try to get into Raleigh in the next weekend or two. 

-----
Focus Bracketing - RAW files are 14 bits.
     Auto mode works great once you figure out the way to setup the near and far anchors.

That's it for todays thoughts.
jb
« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 08:14:41 pm by Lust4Life »

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto

Purchased the GFX 50S when it was first released and have used it extensively, very pleased with it in my landscape work.
Previously used Hasselblad H series up trough the H5D 50 WiFi.  I did purchase the GFX 100 when it came out but was not comfortable
with it's setup or weight, I now have limits on just what I can carry.

When I first reviewed the specs on the 100S, looked like I'd be willing to give up my tilt EVF and after playing with the 100S and setting it up,
first impressions are great.

Spent today setting it up - will be running my tests on it over the next couple of day.
One thing I learned is that the proc engine drops the RAW file to 14 bits from 16 anytime Continuous shooting is selected - say Exposure Bracket, etc.
I confirmed this with test this afternoon using RAW Digger.

Anyone else get theirs?  First impressions?

Jack

Nice to see you around!

Best regards
Erik
Erik Kaffehr

Lust4Life

• Shadows Dancing

Greetings My Friend!

Still able to get vertical each morning - hope you are doing well!

I purchased the GFX 100S about 6 weeks ago.  Everything I did not  like about its predecessor is gone in my mind and my eye.  I'm really enjoying the S!  Grab one and give it a try.

I am doing a lot of experimenting with the Pixel Shift feature.
If I had time, I'd develop a dramatically better and more intelligent software app to improve it's results, but too busy deciding on how to
market my just published book.

Site is not fully done, but gives you an idea of what I have focused on during this period in our lives.

Best,
Jack

Not one complaint so far

degrub

Stunning shots in your book shown on the website.
i think you have a typo on "Breath of Angles...." caption ? Did you mean "Angels" ?

Frank

Lust4Life

• Shadows Dancing

Stunning shots in your book shown on the website.
i think you have a typo on "Breath of Angles...." caption ? Did you mean "Angels" ?

Frank

Hi Frank,

First, thanks for the compliment.
Second, unfortunately you are correct on "Angles"!
Has been corrected and will be correct in the next printing.

Seems no matter how hard one works on a project like this, and how many kind folks proof it with you SOMETHING gets by!

Just fixed it on my website.
Jack
« Last Edit: May 02, 2021, 11:05:11 am by Lust4Life »

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas

With the GFX100, Fuji did a lot of good things, but their implementation of pixel shift to me is far from the best.  And what suprised me on this issue that Fuji was the latest to bring a solution to market and thus they plenty of time to study other companies solutions (Panasonic, Leica, Sony, Olympus, and Pentax).

Fuji went for 16 shots, and 400MP, (why not 8 shots and 200MP? also). 16 shots is a bit too many to capture in the field, as will never get 16 shots clean without some motion.  Fuji's software can't accommodate any motion at all without artifacts.  Similar to the a Phase One Frame Average capture albeit the Phase shot will have more blur than artifacts.  I can't believe that Fuji could not allow for 8 shots, as most other cameras doing this type of shift have 8, and 16, some only 8. 

Fuji has no ability to mark the files, place the in a separate folder, etc. so you have to keep track of them manually.  This may have changed with the 100s but the few tests I ran with the 100 I did not see any clean way to tell where a pixel shift group started or ended.  So I made a point of shooting black frames before and after.

Fuji can't process in camera, so photographer is forced to use the Fuji App, which also is less than stellar.  Panasonic and Leica both allow for the processing to be done in camera (taking less than 16 images) and both cameras do a excellent job on creation of their 187mp image.  Subject motion can also be problematic, but there is an option to correct for motion artifacts an in at least 70%  of the shots I have taken with these cameras, slight motion can be accounted for.

The more shots required also means taking an inordinate amount of time, so if you are required to shoot a 5 second shutter speed for each shot, you are waiting a total of 80 seconds, well over a minute.  Again the ability to take 8 would be an advantage.  The need for 400MP in output printing has yet to be a factor for me. 

Resolution increasing software solutions are gradually getting better, Toapz Gigapixel AI and now Adobe's Super Resolution can get some very good results.  Both are very depending on the original image that is being considered for up scaling. 

Fuji now has an option to capture "real color" by using fewer images and defeating color aliasing.  This came out with the latest version of the Fuji combiner software, (I have not personally tried it and or read anything thing about it).  However it appears that it still requires 16 total captures, thus all of the previous issues still are present.  From reading about the process, it seems that the combiner software only uses 4 images of the 16. 

Detailed reviews have also shown that the current Fuji pixel shift images have a "combing" artifact issue which does lead to both blur and detail aliasing around certain subject matter.  Apparently the Panasonic multi shot solution also had a similar issue, which was fixed in camera firmware.

Fuji had over 1.5 years to work on this, and so far, it's not shown me that for field work there is anything to gain by it's use.  Sure for Art Repo or interiors where the conditions can be carefully controlled, it makes sense, but that is a very limited use. 

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Lust4Life

• Shadows Dancing

Paul,

Amen!!

The different iterations that a feature like "Pixel Shifting" offers is huge and exciting to me, and obviously you as well.

I agree with all that you said and welcome an exchange of what we would like to see that goes even further than your comments.

Decades ago I had a small group of chaps, up to 6, 3 from MIT and 3 from GA Tech where I lectured in the Visual Computing school.  I'm still in touch with one in particular (he was with SGI/Cray, the platform I developed on for 12 years) remains a best friend.  Might be fun to teach Fuji how to do it correctly, but then that elusive component of life that gains value as we age, Time, could be an issue.

Dan Wells

I'm not sure that 8 shots for 200 MP works mathematically, because of the Bayer filtration. 4 shots for 100 MP with full color info at every pixel does - every four pixels contain two greens, a red and a blue, and the shift simply moves the sensor by a single pixel each time so that all four are captured at EACH position. You don't really need the second green channel, but there's no single exposure where the channel being captured at each position is G2(it's 1/4 of the pixels in each exposure), so there's no exposure you can eliminate.

400 MP 16 shots also works - moving the sensor by half a pixel each time. If you did that in only one direction, you'd double-sample either horizontal OR vertical resolution but not both, leaving a file with twice as much resolution on one axis. It's certainly not clean or straightforward the way that doubling both axes is, but something like it has been done before - was it the Nikon D1x that was a D1 with the pixels sliced in half on one axis? They somehow put it back together in software... Worth it???

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas

Hi Dan,

I agree, I am not sure of the maths, between the various companies. 

Sony 35mm latest is 16 shots, as is Fuji GFX100 and 100s.

Panasonic S1R, H and Lecia SL2 use 8 shots. 

The Panasonic/Leica implementation are similar, however I believe both companies, worked their algorithms on the multi shot. 
These give basically 2x uprez.  187MP, 2x the 8368 x 5584 base resolution of the 47MP sensor in both cameras. 

Fuji is using 16 shots to get to 400MP, from 100MP, but I need to go back and look at the base resolution of the GFX100 and see if the multi shot is 4x or 2x the original base resolution of the 100MP sensor.  I have assumed that the 400MP is 4x the base resolution, but may have that incorrect.

Panasonic and Leica did a very good job to my eyes, in their implementation of multi shot, giving both a considerable output image @ 187MP and having the ability to handle slight motion.  Not a strong wind for sure, but I have used the SL2 enough outdoors to realize that there are conditions where the multi shot will work.  The real issue with the Panasonic and Leica multi shot is that you have to have perfect focus and a strong lens that has good corner performance.  When I first started using the Multi shot, what looked like good focus quickly showed problems when viewed as a multi shot.  However with the combination of a good lens and sharp focus, the results can impress.

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Dan Wells

It's 2x in each direction, thus 4x the pixel count, as far as I know (same resolution improvement as Panasonic)...

What I don't know is how Panny is doing that with 8 shots (and they DO seem to be using 8 shots, according to dpreview's spec sheet -  they generally check those things pretty closely)... Looking at the math, it takes 16 (since it's also debayering). 4 shots to remove the bayer effect times 4 to get the shifted positions. Every 4 shot multi shot Ive seen only debayers (I suppose you could also only improve resolution, but I've never seen that done).

8 shots allows for debayering plus a doubling of resolution in ONE direction. I wonder if you could use a diagonal shift to get some improvement in each direction, but that sounds like a nightmare to process. The only thing I can think of is that they are doubling in one direction, then interpolating in the other direction? It would have to be a 90-some MP image using non-square pixels, but then with the other direction filled in by interpolation. The image id debayered, with a resolution of either 8368*11168 (with the pixels being half-height) or 16736x5584 (with the pixels being half WIDTH), then has the dimension that wasn't physically doubled doubled through software, restoring the pixels to square. This is essentially what the D1x (?)did with it's oddly shaped pixels...

SharonVL

I love love love the 100s.  ;D Just thought I'd add that.

Sharon

Lust4Life

• Shadows Dancing

I love love love the 100s.  ;D Just thought I'd add that.

Sharon

Amen Sharon!!

I took it out yesterday running more test just to get deep into its characteristics.  Just amazed at the silver film look Acros is giving me when RIPPED in C1.

Jack
Pages: [1]   Go Up