Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: z3200 Pizza wheel track marks  (Read 357 times)

mfrohman

z3200 Pizza wheel track marks
« on: March 21, 2021, 03:31:30 pm »

I'm suddenly getting a few lines down my dark prints on my z3200. When I look closely I can see the lines are made up of little dots and it appears they are 'pizza wheel' type track marks from the star wheel roller guides. I'm printing dark on matte fine art which is the same thing I've been doing on this machine for years and I've never seen these lines before.

Could the little guides be damaged? Should I take off the starwheel assembly metal plate that the rollers are attached to and inspect them for any damage or visible issue? Is there some kind of guide for putting the assembly back on at the right height? There seems to be some play in  depending on how hard you tighten the screws.

Or is there another issue that would cause the track marks?

thank you!
« Last Edit: March 21, 2021, 04:30:31 pm by mfrohman »
2 x HP Z3200, Canon 4100, Epson p-800

deanwork

Re: z3200 Pizza wheel track marks
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2021, 04:40:38 pm »

Wow, I haven’t heard about this for 12 years.

Two things, first grab a bright light, open up the top cover and inspect all the star wheels. Chances are one of them got bent or knocked sideways and is scraping the print surface. I’ve certainly had that happen a couple of times. Just remove it or them if more than one.

Second go into the color center and check the settings on your custom media. If it’s not set to star wheels up, set it there for thick media and see if that fixes it.

I’ve never encountered anything else casing this in all these years.

The very first year of the Z3100 there was a recall on the star wheel assembly and they came out and replaced them all. Since then I’ve never heard of anyone replacing the whole assembly for that reason.

I think you would have to really brutally jerk a roll of something out of there to damage it that bad.

I'm suddenly getting a few lines down my dark prints on my z3200. When I look closely I can see the lines are made up of little dots and it appears they are 'pizza wheel' type track marks from the star wheel roller guides. I'm printing dark on matte fine art which is the same thing I've been doing on this machine for years and I've never seen these lines before.

Could the little guides be damaged? Should I take off the starwheel assembly metal plate that the rollers are attached to and inspect them for any damage or visible issue? Is there some kind of guide for putting the assembly back on at the right height? There seems to be some play in  depending on how hard you tighten the screws.

Or is there another issue that would cause the track marks?

thank you!

mfrohman

Re: z3200 Pizza wheel track marks
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2021, 04:11:08 pm »

haha. Ive read about this issue but never experienced until recently. I guess I'm working my way through every problem that's ever existed on these printers! I will follow your advice and check on these things. Thanks dean!
2 x HP Z3200, Canon 4100, Epson p-800
Pages: [1]   Go Up