Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson SC-P900: printing on Canson and Hahnemühle papers.  (Read 5002 times)

Dutch_Capture

Epson SC-P900: printing on Canson and Hahnemühle papers.
« on: March 16, 2021, 09:24:05 am »

Since a month, I am working with the Epson SC-P900. (It is my second copy, the first one went back as a DOA - dead on arrival - due to air in the ink tubes.)

Printing on Canson papers, such as Edition Etching Rag, and always using the front loader, for A3+ and A2 papers,
all is well. Paper feed works perfectly, and print quality is excellent.

Printing on A3+ and A2 sheets of Hahnemühle Fine Art Baryta, I had some problems at first. I got black smudges, just outside the end of the print.
I had been using the icc profile provided by Hahnemühle and I had chosen Epson Premium Lustre Photo Paper as media type.
Probably, these black smudges were caused by printing head strikes.

Trying to see whether I could vary the settings for paper thickness and platen gap, it turned out that the Epson printer driver
for the P900 does not offer any possibilities (contrary to what I am used to with my previous P600).

The way out was offered by Mark Segals discussion of the P900 at:
https://photopxl.com/the-new-epson-sc-p900-printer-review/
and notably by his explanation of how to use the Epson Media Installer.

For details, see his article, but briefly, this is what it amounts to. In the Epson Media Installer,
there is a number of basic media types. You can chose one that is closest to - or in other words recommended for -
the paper at stake. In the case of Hahnemühle Fine Art Baryta, this media type is Epson Premium Lustre Photo Paper.
Next you can make a copy of this media type, which can be edited. In particular, you can give it a new name and
you can change, amongst others, the paper thickness, the platen gap, and the icc profile you want to associate
with this new media type. The original copy of the media type had a setting of 0,9mm for the platen gap and 0,27mm for the paper thickness.
I changed those numbers into 2,1mm for the platen gap and 0,50mm for the paper thickness. Once this new media type is saved,
it appears both in the Epson printer driver (which you'll see, for instance, when printing from Photoshop) and
in the menu on the LCD screen of the printer itself.

Using this new media type, all is well also with the sheets of Hahnemühle FA Baryta paper.

I thought to mention this here just in case some of you are or have been struggling with similar issues.

mearussi

Re: Epson SC-P900: printing on Canson and Hahnemühle papers.
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2021, 10:03:45 am »

The main difference is that the Baryta is using alpha-cellulose paper which is much stiffer than the 100% cotton of the other paper. This can make it harder to load if the paper has to go through any curves in the printer.

Dutch_Capture

Re: Epson SC-P900: printing on Canson and Hahnemühle papers.
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2021, 08:35:14 am »

The main difference is that the Baryta is using alpha-cellulose paper which is much stiffer than the 100% cotton of the other paper. This can make it harder to load if the paper has to go through any curves in the printer.

In the present case, all papers were entered completely flat, using the front loader.
Pages: [1]   Go Up