Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Focusing cloth for digital back  (Read 1043 times)

DanielStone

Focusing cloth for digital back
« on: March 11, 2021, 07:13:25 pm »

Hey all,

So I took notice of another thread where some members were discussing a purpose-built lightweight focusing cloth for use with digital backs when out in sunny conditions. I have a small business(growing but still just one man, me) making niche gear for primarily film photographers using large format. I'm interested, as I've explored making focusing cloths for larger camera formats, but possibly starting with something smaller such as this could be a purpose-built solution for those of you who might desire such a solution.

I'm located in the east Los Angeles area. If any of you might have an IQ style back and are interested in letting me take some measurements and possibly provide feedback on fitment and experience "in use", seeing I don't have a tech cam, or digital back of my own, I figured I might as well ask.

You can reach me here via DM if you'd like. Or you can check out some of my other work on Instagram, @stonephotogear

TIA,
Dan

MN

Re: Focusing cloth for digital back
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2021, 09:47:46 am »

Dan,
Have a customized 4x5" focusing cloth for use with my Linhof Techno and P1 IQ3 back. I found it very helpful for a contemplative composing and focussing.
IMO, the ideal focusing cloth should warp light-tight around the digital back, yet have enough volume to allow the head and fingers to get close to the focussing screen.
Black inside, but white (or silver) outside seems best.
Don't forget the quarters in the corner to weight down the cloth.
There might be some real demand for a well-made and well-thought-out dark focusing cloth for medium format digital backs. You could contact the P1 dealers and ask what they think what would make a good and suitable focusing cloth.  (They probably would also be happy to sell it.)
Please keep us posted should you decide to proceed.
MN
« Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 10:48:50 am by MN »

TechTalk

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2021, 06:15:53 pm »

I used a variety of focusing cloths over time. My favorite is still available. Black inside and waterproof silver fabric outside. It's personal choice, but I never did care for weighted corners in a focusing cloth.

https://cameraessentials.com/product-category/classic-dark-cloth

or

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/446774-REG/Harrison_2035_Silver_Classic_Dark_Cloth
Respice, adspice, prospice - Look to the past, the present, the future

Jonathan Cross

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2021, 02:34:18 am »

I went the old fashioned way. I just got the local material shop to hem some black material and put that over my head and camera but obviously not the lens. Cheap and it works!

Jonathan
Jonathan in UK

MN

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2021, 02:16:39 pm »

I used a variety of focusing cloths over time. My favorite is still available. Black inside and waterproof silver fabric outside. It's personal choice, but I never did care for weighted corners in a focusing cloth. https://cameraessentials.com/product-category/classic-dark-cloth

Good starting point but for medium format, IMO, ideally need something that warp light-tight around the digital back and not around or on top of the camera itself.

SharonVL

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2021, 02:53:01 pm »

It's too windy here for a cloth. I got one of these. https://www.huntsphotoandvideo.com/detail_page.cfm?productid=H32MB

TechTalk

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2021, 06:37:34 pm »

Good starting point but for medium format, IMO, ideally need something that warp light-tight around the digital back and not around or on top of the camera itself.

The size of the focusing cloth that I linked to is designed for a large format camera. I mentioned it not for the appropriateness of the size, but because I preferred the materials/fabrics they use compared to that of any other focusing cloth I have used.
Respice, adspice, prospice - Look to the past, the present, the future

MN

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2021, 12:00:25 pm »

The size of the focusing cloth that I linked to is designed for a large format camera. I mentioned it not for the appropriateness of the size, but because I preferred the materials/fabrics they use compared to that of any other focusing cloth I have used.

TechTalk,

completely agree with you regarding the fabric material.

I ordered "Small Dark Cloth" to see how it will work with Medium Format. Will report my experience.

Thank you for posting your recommendation and link.

MN

--------

''Reflective silver fabric keeps heat out and interior cool. Black inner fabric is lint-free. Made from waterproof fabrics"
« Last Edit: April 10, 2021, 02:51:02 pm by MN »
Pages: [1]   Go Up