Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Capture One - Libraries - ???? What a mess of logic!  (Read 1535 times)

Lust4Life

• Shadows Dancing
Capture One - Libraries - ???? What a mess of logic!
« on: March 06, 2021, 02:53:55 pm »

I now shoot the Fuji GFX 50S and have used PS, Bridge and LR for decades.

I have been seeking a substitute for the above that is NOT subscription based.

Tried DXO, some nice features but missing major features/sections that I would want in my landscape work.
Tried Lumina 3 since I really like Aurora, and I did not care at all for that.

Now trying Capture 21 since it's now free with my GFX purchase.  Years ago I have purchased a full program and didn't like it but
was hoping they had improved.  I've tried it several times before and never liked it -- seems WAY over complicated - they are trying to be ALL things to ALL people.

Example:
Just the core of any photo software - Library.

I like the Bridge logic of structuring off of the hard drive logic of folder layouts that I have existing on my SSD.

But for Library, C1 has: Catalogs - Sessions - Albums - Folders - Smart Folders - Collections - Projects - Groups - etc.!!

All I want to do is to manage everything on my SSD in my folders and have my editing software stash a file of modification made to the image in the "free" folder I kept the RAW in.  For instance I structure:  USA master, sub is states, within states topics - waterfalls, clouds, etc.

IF I want to move the folder, PS could care less - move it and then pull any file out with your historical work save from the image.

I've watched several webinars of C1, numerous tutorials, etc. 

Conclusion:
Not impressed - even the page listing the tutorials/etc - you have to search down  through ALL of it hoping to find
what you want to study.  How about just a sort by date or sort by TOPIC only?  Example - I just Searched on "Library" and only 3 choices come up.  BUT if you scroll through the mixture of pages of tutorials there are far more that would would miss.   

Am I the only Nerd on the planet that finds their "Library" to look like the programmers were paid by the line of code rather than User Utility - say what a common landscape photographer would want?

In short, probably done with it and will continue my pursuit for a buy it and it's yours program.
I did use the Affinity Publisher program to build my book and it was GREAT!!
Just check out Affinity Photo and it has a long way to go as far as I am concerned.

OK, that's my "bitch session" on C1.

Open to suggestions.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2021, 09:39:54 pm by Lust4Life »

tcphoto1

• http://www.tonyclarkphoto.com
Re: Capture One - Libraries - ???? What a mess of logic!
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2021, 11:47:24 am »

As a Capture One user, I will admit that C1 has quite the learning curve and I walked away when a Digital Tech handed my a CD containing v3 or 4. About seven years ago, I read and watched tutorials then stripped it down to basics. I name a new Session by the Clients name so I can find it easily or add the date if it's a regular client. Once I've culled, made basic adjustments I will copy the folder to duplicate external drives, I can go back and rate the images, make adjustments and simply copy to the matching backup. I try to utilize as many of the editing options as possible before transferring to Photoshop for final editing and save in the Output folder in C1. Everyone has their own system fitting their workflow, I understand that some may prefer Lightroom or other application and so one size does not fit all.

budjames

• http://www.budjamesphotography.com
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2021, 11:57:52 am »

I've been using C1Pro since version 7. Every upgrade gets better with new features and DAM improvements.

I rediscovered Photo Mechanic, now at version 6, for culling images. I add GPS, keywords and star ratings. After this is done, I delete the outtakes and the import the keepers into C1P21. Because PM6 writes the GPS, keywords etc. into the Leica DNG files, the imports contain this information without the use of XML sidecar files. It works great!

I use a referenced file folder structure for my images and C1P catalogs. I keep separate C1P catalogs by year or years, depending upon the total number of images, to keep the catalogs under 40k images. This works great, except, unlike Lightroom, you lose the ability to search across all images. Fortunately, C1P supports having multiple catalogs open at the same time so that I can move between catalogs easily.

Regards,
Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography or on Instagram at www.instagram.com/budjamesphoto
Bud James
North Wales, PA [url=http://ww

Lust4Life

• Shadows Dancing
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2021, 12:41:02 pm »

Thanks for input - yes!  Stripping it down - but isn't that what the developer is suppose to do for us as photographers?

I used Affinity Publisher to put together my book of my poetry and mated photographs and found it to be an excellent program.  I looked at their demo of Affinity Photo last year but decided to look again today - bought the latest version on sale - getting some BEAUTIFUL B&W conversions and their sharpening brush is outstanding.  Have only had it up about 2 hours but really impressed. 

My book:  https://seekingtobefound.com
Instagram:  seeking2be

jb

jeremyrh

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2021, 04:09:59 am »

Open to suggestions.

You don't need to bother with sessions etc if you don't want to. You can continue to use your own folder structure, no problem. Likewise, if you don't feel a need for creating collections, or smart albums, or whatever .... don't !!

Lust4Life

• Shadows Dancing
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2021, 01:11:20 pm »

OK, I try to over-ride their "logic" and see how I feel about it being in the "way".

Question:  I have a beautiful 43" 4K monitor.  Every time I open C1 it completely fill up this huge monitor!!
I've gone through the Preferences and all I want is for it to open to the same size last closed so I don't have to resize fiddle around and resize it every time I open and close it.

Is something this simple possible?

indusphoto

• 500px
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2021, 11:00:33 pm »

Maybe I am missing something here, but Capture One is fully capable of following your on-disk folder structure. Just import and point to the folder you want to import from, check the subfolder option, and that is it. If you move the files on your disk, you can right click on the selected folder in C1 and choose Locate.

The things where C1 falls behind is that its catalog can easily become inconsistent so it requires frequent catalog verification (it is the default option when you close the program). Also smart collections are way too slow and search capabilities are also not very good (compared to LR).
Pages: [1]   Go Up