Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can I double stack lens adapters?  (Read 354 times)

andyptak

Can I double stack lens adapters?
« on: March 02, 2021, 06:44:47 pm »

I want to go from a Sigma body - SA mount -  to either a Sony E or a Canon FE lens. It seems i can go from SA mount to Leica L and then from L to what I want. Just don't know if they can be double stakced and still work though. Anyone konw? Thanks.

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
Re: Can I double stack lens adapters?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2021, 04:22:38 am »

As posted on FM the Sony and SA flange distances are the wrong way round.  To maintain proper function you need a lens from a system with a long flange distance to adapt to a camera from a system with a shorter flange distance so that the adapter makes up the difference.  With SA at 44mm and Sony at 18mm the Sony lens would need to be recessed into the SA body by 26mm to maintain function (focusing at infinity).

The Canon EF lens is from a system with a longer flange distance (44mm) but unfortunately it's not going to work as the SA also has a flange distance of 44mm.  So there is no space to add an adapter.  If the EF lens mount could be removed and replaced with an SA mount it would work.  Sigma in fact offer this service for their own lenses but the cost is very high (close to a lens cost as I recall).

This is a good reference to use when considering adopting one lens make to another makers body with an adapter.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flange_focal_distance

Mike

Paul_Roark

Re: Can I double stack lens adapters?
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2021, 10:20:12 pm »

I'm not sure if a similar adapter exists for the mounts you're interested in, but I'm a big fan of the Voigtlander VM-E mount for Leica-M to Sony-E.  It has a limited focusing ability to allows me to perfectly set the infinity stop.

Paul
www.PaulRoark.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up