Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HP z3200ps maintenance station ink buildup  (Read 701 times)

ecrnsch83

HP z3200ps maintenance station ink buildup
« on: March 01, 2021, 10:45:48 pm »

Hi again,

I just want to post one further issue with my HP z3200ps 44" printer. The printer is making great prints, but I'm a bit concerned about what appears to be a messy, globby build up of ink in the maintenance station. I tried photographing it with the right side cover off.

I purchased this printer second hand. And I have a copy of a receipt for a new maintenance station part from LPS Computer, although I can't confirm if it was ever installed by the previous owner.

Is this how the maintenance station functions correctly? It seems like the sponges underneath are fairly clean and clear of ink - most of the ink is on the higher level just below the print heads! It's usually not a problem, but occasionally the printheads pick up a bit of this ink buildup and I notice a little glob deposited on the paper while it's printing.

Any suggestions how to fix this? Should I buy a new maintenance station or try to clean this one I have?

deanwork

Re: HP z3200ps maintenance station ink buildup
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2021, 11:22:25 pm »

I have always cleaned mine about once a month all around the capping station They don’t require replacing very often at all and certainly nothing like Epson and Canon. But if your seeing a lot of gunk on your prints even after cleaning to top area off periodically, it’s probably time to either remove and empty the tank, or even better put a new one in.

Hi again,

I just want to post one further issue with my HP z3200ps 44" printer. The printer is making great prints, but I'm a bit concerned about what appears to be a messy, globby build up of ink in the maintenance station. I tried photographing it with the right side cover off.

I purchased this printer second hand. And I have a copy of a receipt for a new maintenance station part from LPS Computer, although I can't confirm if it was ever installed by the previous owner.

Is this how the maintenance station functions correctly? It seems like the sponges underneath are fairly clean and clear of ink - most of the ink is on the higher level just below the print heads! It's usually not a problem, but occasionally the printheads pick up a bit of this ink buildup and I notice a little glob deposited on the paper while it's printing.

Any suggestions how to fix this? Should I buy a new maintenance station or try to clean this one I have?

mfrohman

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2021, 03:10:51 pm »

The printer will let you know when it's time for a new one. It shows a "maintenance kit #2" error. It's happened on both of my z3200s after about 3 years of heavy use. Easy to change out. But you probably just need to do a little cleaning. It is kind of a messy looking thing normally though.
2 x HP Z3200, Canon 4100, Epson p-800

RaffiCoffee

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2021, 07:43:11 pm »

I think this is what maybe causing my bad nozzle checks. I put in 2 new print heads and on the MK-R I still get nozzle issues, and the Magenta/Yellow, not sure how so I am thinking it might be this dirty area . It happened as I did a head cleaning. I did try to get my hand in with the carraige out of the way. I didnt spray anything, but just used a blue papertowel and wiped what I could. I got to the second rubber wiper, but I think this thing rotates and has a entire back side we dont see. Maybe there is a unlock for these parts to move and we can clean it ?

ecrnsch83

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2021, 10:48:39 pm »

I think this is what maybe causing my bad nozzle checks. I put in 2 new print heads and on the MK-R I still get nozzle issues, and the Magenta/Yellow, not sure how so I am thinking it might be this dirty area . It happened as I did a head cleaning. I did try to get my hand in with the carraige out of the way. I didnt spray anything, but just used a blue papertowel and wiped what I could. I got to the second rubber wiper, but I think this thing rotates and has a entire back side we dont see. Maybe there is a unlock for these parts to move and we can clean it ?

I believe there is an unlocking screw directly behind the maintenance station/carriage that is visible when you take the right cover off. If you turn it with a torx screwdriver you can unlock the carriage. But an easier thing to do is to unplug the printer when the carriage has moved out of the way during its initial system checks.

ecrnsch83

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2021, 10:51:13 pm »

Thanks everyone for the input. The reason I thought something must not be right is the fact that the sponges underneath are relatively clean, and it appears that ink from above (the capping station?) built up enough that it has slowly overflowed over the edge. I have noticed a series of tubes leading down to the sponges which I thought were meant for draining this ink.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2021, 04:30:17 am »

I cleaned my maintenance tank after 12 years of light use.. But i was a bit too late...
Too late means: the primer motor (ticking sound when priming printheads)  that sucks the ink away to the container might give up, and too late means the printheads gets dirty and give problems.
So take notice that the container sponges underneath are still looking clean... and make sure the docking station is clean.
( the clean photo's are made by a choosing printhead replace and opening the top door- with the right side off)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2021, 11:12:56 am by kers »
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

RaffiCoffee

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2021, 01:40:09 am »

I believe there is an unlocking screw directly behind the maintenance station/carriage that is visible when you take the right cover off. If you turn it with a torx screwdriver you can unlock the carriage. But an easier thing to do is to unplug the printer when the carriage has moved out of the way during its initial system checks.

Thanks for the reply...I actually have no problem moving the carraige away as I do the same thing, open window sensor and unplug. But there are rubber wiper blades in the station, and I thought those may rotate or move forward and back to clean wipe the heads. I was able to access 2, and there maybe more further behind.

Well, I took the problem printheads out, and bathed them in a 85% distilled water/10% IPA(not the beer, the alcohol)/5% or less ammonia for about an hour.... And it did improve the nozzle check greatly. I still have a maybe 10 or so 2mm lines missing total, out of 11 inks(hard to tell on the clearcoat).  So I ran a print that has a faded looking banding as if its just an impression, not a skip or gap every 2-3 maybe 4mm.

I am guessing it is not the issue under the carriage as yours, as I dont really have and mess on the prints, but I though the printheads were getting dirty from that. I wonder how you cleaned it, did you remove the carriage?

Really frustrating. I have gone through a lot of Premium Instant dry 36" roll, a few set of printheads, and a couple inks . I know the inks should be at least half full, as Mark Lindquist has mentioned this as a possible issue when doing cleanings or such issue testing.

plasakow

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2021, 02:19:33 pm »

If you've got moderate technical aptitude, replacing the service station isn't hard, albeit a bit messy.  LPS Computer in California will sell you a rebuilt one, buy your old one and give you all the phone help you need. I've got no affiliation with them- just a satisfied customer with two Z3200s (AKA The Evil Twins) on which LPS has saved me thousands over the years.

If I bought the printer used and the SS was perplexing me like this, I'd shotgun the problem and replace the SS. 

deanwork

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2021, 02:47:32 pm »

He is right on both counts. We’re so lucky to have LPS. Wish I had someone like that for my Canon.

If you've got moderate technical aptitude, replacing the service station isn't hard, albeit a bit messy.  LPS Computer in California will sell you a rebuilt one, buy your old one and give you all the phone help you need. I've got no affiliation with them- just a satisfied customer with two Z3200s (AKA The Evil Twins) on which LPS has saved me thousands over the years.

If I bought the printer used and the SS was perplexing me like this, I'd shotgun the problem and replace the SS.

John Nollendorfs

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2021, 03:49:17 pm »

I've got a 21:13 error on my Z3100. Tried rebooting, unplugging, etc. And since I can't get to the "replace print head" menu, I can't check what is going on in my service station area. This happened overnight, not during the course of any printing. I know, I can take the  R-side cover off, and figure out how to release the carriage, but is there any easier way to do this?

plasakow

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2021, 05:02:14 pm »

You may get more info on this by starting a new thread with the specifics and error code in the heading. 

However, if the ss hasn't been replaced in a while, chances are it's just plain time for a new one. If it's a Z3100 it's bound to have some years and mileage on it.

Sometimes LPS, mentioned in the comments in this thread, will have a trick up their sleeve that will reveal if a part really needs replacing or not- these guys have seen it all. I'd call them and ask for advice. They're happy to give it- it's part of their business model.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2021, 05:58:14 am »

I've got a 21:13 error on my Z3100. Tried rebooting, unplugging, etc. And since I can't get to the "replace print head" menu, I can't check what is going on in my service station area. This happened overnight, not during the course of any printing. I know, I can take the  R-side cover off, and figure out how to release the carriage, but is there any easier way to do this?

This could be the primer motor as i suggested...( do you have the service manual?)
I could revive mine after cleaning the service station and surroundings... after that my printer was 2KG lighter!
Like starting an old car... over and over  again... now it works again for already a year... and after 14 years prints are like new with some new printheads..
here a Russian! video of how to clean the service station- make photographs and remember how the tubes inside the servicestation are aligned.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KewQ-Krtb0c ( warning! the video contains some dirty images!)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2021, 06:10:55 am by kers »
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

John Nollendorfs

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2021, 03:59:22 pm »

Thank you Kers!
I'll take the RS cover off and take a look to see what's going on. I replaced the service station a few years back. This machine has been a work horse. I have a Z3200 also, that I bought on close out sale 2 years ago. Great machines.
Pages: [1]   Go Up