Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Affinity Photo  (Read 710 times)

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
Affinity Photo
« on: March 01, 2021, 06:58:42 am »

I really want to like Affinity Photo, and there's a lot to like but....

Some 'features' are starting to drive me up the wall and back to Photoshop.

View;
If I select view actual pixels, that's exactly what I want. I don't want the image jumping up to fill the window every time I change a dimension or crop a bit.
It might be a suitable behaviour if I'd chosen  zoom to fit or zoom to width fitting, but it's hugely irritating when I'm try to work on specific actual pixels for web imagery.

Stroke;
Where's an option to stroke a selection ? Very useful in Photoshop, but missing in AP.

Having to Export instead of save as;
Just continually annoying.

Gradient fill;
Why can't I just fill a selection with a gradient ? what hoops need to be jumped through ? Unintuitive and unpredictable.

Probably best to try and detail some of the curiosities about resizing or copy 'n pasting.

Anyone else finding they need too frequent visits to the help files with AP too ?

francois

Re: Affinity Photo
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2021, 07:48:43 am »

I agree, many small annoying things but it's probably because I have been using Photoshop for years. FWIW, it's the same situation with Affinity Designer and Adobe Illustrator. The user to user forum can be very helpful… sometimes!
Francois

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2021, 09:00:57 am »

Compared to Adobe I did not like the raw conversion.

and yes there are many things that are not well worked out:
If you start a batch job- for instance saving small jpegs; The next time it is again at the initial values and you can start all over...
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2021, 09:23:22 am »

Compared to Adobe I did not like the raw conversion.
This hasn't worried me greatly. Some of the files I've 'developed' have been as good as LR conversions. The absolute 'deal killer' for using AP for raw files is the inability to return to the conversion settings a second time and make a different conversion.

I'd guess that this will be an option that they will add to version 2 to allow it to compete with LR/ACR/Co etc. I'd hope with an associated DAM too.

it's the same situation with Affinity Designer and Adobe Illustrator
I haven't found the same degree of frustration with those, maybe because I haven't used Illustrator or InDesign as much as Photoshop.
Pages: [1]   Go Up