Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: z3200ps firmware update  (Read 534 times)

ecrnsch83

z3200ps firmware update
« on: February 28, 2021, 08:08:12 pm »

Hello everyone, I am a new user of the forum. A year ago I purchased a second hand HP z3200ps. I live in the far north of Canada, approx. 2000 miles from the nearest HP technician so I will need to maintain it myself.

When I bought the printer it had a few issues, and would throw up error codes relating to the carriage PCA. I replaced the main power supply/PCA, the trailing cable, and the carriage PCA.

Since I have a factory replacement main PCA, the firmware has reset itself to a very early version.

My question is there any potential harm in updating the firmware to the latest revision or does the old "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" saying apply in this case?

RaffiCoffee

Re: z3200ps firmware update
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2021, 12:13:23 am »

I am not familiar with the different firmware, but I have not updated mine z3200Photo(not PS), as in general computer and electronics...If it aint broke dont fix it, does apply.

The HP Click software works on Win 10, but the HP Utility does not. HP Click give me accounting and all sorts of status and monitoring, but the printing interface is pretty useless as I use Q Image. But I am needing the Utility and is not working. Not sure of the issue, but it keeps looping a bootup of the app and cycles loading. I cancel and it does not so I kill it in Task Manager.

I just purchased a used z3200 Post Script model, as Mark who helped me work on my printer when it had issues, recommeded I get one of those. I did, and I will want to basically move the PS parts to the z3200Photo, as it is not heavily used. The PostScript I purchased is not so much a PS/piece of s***, but it is much more used, as a error 56 code, and recently got a new service station. So I may move that to mine or get a new one, but will swap formatter board and HDD for the PS upgrade. I think that is it?

Either way, ya, I would not upgrade unless you need. I think I did a upgrade one time as there was some cutter issue that would hang.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2021, 04:25:27 am »

I just bought a second hand Z3200ps 24 inch Q6720B myself and upgraded the firmware only yesterday to the latest.
The printer works fine so far, but cannot tell if their are some hidden glitches...
Anyway you need a windows computer to find the firmware on the HP site , for mac it is hidden.
There might be a problem with the new firmware and third party ink- not sure... do not use that.

see:https://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=137550.20

Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

RaffiCoffee

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2021, 10:01:55 pm »

Canon has possibly put out a firmware that disables chip reset on the Pro-1000.
For me firmware is a way a manufacturer can help resolve issues or compatibility they did not include for some reason or another, or brick a unit . Odd...imagine they forget one little hardware design in production, lol. So I dont think these are mistakes. But sure they can release a new feature, or something, but more so I think it secures planned obsolescence. So I avoid it, yet they can "force" it if you want some feature they didn't include.  I am not saying this is a standard, but I have seen it before...as we maybe seeing in the Canon, at least securing its ink set from remanufacturers.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2021, 12:18:01 pm by RaffiCoffee »

ecrnsch83

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2021, 10:35:43 pm »

Thanks for your thoughts everyone. I will debate it further. Definitely the printer is making prints, but it seems to be a little buggy on the software side of things. Nothing major, but a little quirks.

Peter McLennan

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2021, 12:00:35 pm »

I share your ownership of a Z3200 and life in a remote location.  Not as remote as yours, but still a long day's drive over seven mountain passes to a city with qualified service.

Mark Lindquist and Ernst Dinkla recently helped me recover from a catastrophic failure of my printer, for which I am forever thankful.  You're in good hands with these guys, both of whom own several of these printers and are beyond generous with their help.

RaffiCoffee

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2021, 01:53:28 am »

I share your ownership of a Z3200 and life in a remote location.  Not as remote as yours, but still a long day's drive over seven mountain passes to a city with qualified service.

Mark Lindquist and Ernst Dinkla recently helped me recover from a catastrophic failure of my printer, for which I am forever thankful.  You're in good hands with these guys, both of whom own several of these printers and are beyond generous with their help.

This is true, Mark had helped me a few years ago. I should have taken notes but didnt want to take up more time and slow his help. .....In comes the video or audio recorder!!! LOL...

Now I think I have a similar issue, and I tried what I remember, but there was a deliberate process in steps, and this somehow reset or put the right profile maybe or paper type in place....
Very odd thing is that I was looking around for a Postscript version as Mark recommend I try and switch to one..It was used and has a error and stuck, and has sat for over 2 years. So I was able to buy it for almost nothing. But, what is the point of calling for a service to switch it over when I cant get this odd banding out. I did printhead align, paper align, cleaning, all cleaning....manual printhead cleaning which lowered my 2mm clogs to about 10 of them in 2mm empty dashes.  Frustrated, and venting. :-)
Pages: [1]   Go Up