Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Optical Questions I cant Fathom arise  (Read 657 times)

Michael West

Optical Questions I cant Fathom arise
« on: February 23, 2021, 01:37:33 pm »

I  noticed this optical anomaly in passing

The two layers of Glass...the side and rear windows of this automobile somehow distorted  series of straight lines in a wave like fashion that i can not fathom.

Any Doctor Of Optics people in this building?

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
Re: Optical Questions I cant Fathom arise
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2021, 07:53:23 pm »

I suspect it's just wiggly glass, since it is curved. The windshield is probably much better optically, since it is used for almost all navigation, which the side and rear windows aren't.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Michael West

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2021, 08:42:14 pm »

I suspect it's just wiggly glass, since it is curved. The windshield is probably much better optically, since it is used for almost all navigation, which the side and rear windows aren't.

Thanks.

wcarlew

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2021, 10:56:14 pm »

How old is the car, does it have a rear window defrost with the thin wires laminated to the glass?

degrub

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2021, 09:23:06 am »

two possibilities - 1) a plastic layer for the heating element in the glass interior or 2) two layers of thermally annealed glass making up the glass-PVB-glass windshield. The thermal annealing is done in an oven with rollers for support. This causes slight waves that changes the refraction direction through the glass. Basically can create an visually disturbing image and cause people to get seasick when they look through while moving.

The image is also shot through two windows, thus 4 layers of annealed glass.

Michael West

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2021, 11:01:10 am »

two possibilities - 1) a plastic layer for the heating element in the glass interior or 2) two layers of thermally annealed glass making up the glass-PVB-glass windshield. The thermal annealing is done in an oven with rollers for support. This causes slight waves that changes the refraction direction through the glass. Basically can create an visually disturbing image and cause people to get seasick when they look through while moving.

The image is also shot through two windows, thus 4 layers of annealed glass.
[email][/email]

Thank you, The regularly spaced horizontal lines to the right of the window are likely shadows produced by a heating element.

rabanito

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2021, 11:35:30 am »

I was not aware that car windows are made of annealed glass.
Isn't it that annealed glass can break inconveniently?
Admitedly, I have no idea of car glasses

degrub

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2021, 01:57:18 pm »

the PVB = polyvinylbuteral interlayer holds the glass fragments together to prevent flying shards.
Tempered glass will break into small cubes when impacted due to the capture of compression stress during manufacture.
It can be used for the side and back windows. Some use laminated glass instead.

The glass used for the windshield is likely annealed grade also called float glass. There is usually an etched grade mark on each piece of glass - AG = annealed, TG=tempered . if not there will be the several standards the glass is designed to meet indicated. AGC is a large OEM producer in the US.

here is a good overview for anyone interested -
https://auto.howstuffworks.com/car-driving-safety/safety-regulatory-devices/auto-glass.htm
« Last Edit: February 24, 2021, 02:18:39 pm by degrub »

rabanito

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2021, 02:57:41 pm »

Thank you Degrub, I had very little idea :-)
BTW, then there are 6 layers of material in that photo between the camera and the straight lines?
BTW in my humble experience my car was broken in once in France, a side window.
There were small cubes everywhere, as you say it would occur with tempered glass.

degrub

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2021, 03:04:25 pm »

it would depend. If they used tempered for the side and rear, then only 2 and the ripples are likely from the heater on the inside surface.
If they embedded the heater between the layers, then it would be AG glass with ripples possible on the glass surface from the roller support during fusion heating.
My guess it is the heater film causing the ripples that are showing up at the odd angle.

We preferred the TG grade laminated safety glass for the windows of our site guard shacks. However, when you combine two sets of laminated TG glass, you get the enhanced rippling effect and our guards were getting motion sickness when they stood up to look outside. We had to go back to the AG which has less of that issue.

rabanito

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2021, 06:07:52 pm »

We preferred the TG grade laminated safety glass for the windows of our site guard shacks. However, when you combine two sets of laminated TG glass, you get the enhanced rippling effect and our guards were getting motion sickness when they stood up to look outside. We had to go back to the AG which has less of that issue.

Haha! I remember some time ago one person got seasick while sitting in the rear while I was driving.
Everybody blamed my driving style. Maybe that was the issue.  ???

:)

degrub

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2021, 08:40:32 pm »

Some roads were just meant for manual shift ! ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up