Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: LIGHT Tripod System for an Old Guy  (Read 3095 times)

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
LIGHT Tripod System for an Old Guy
« on: February 23, 2021, 11:35:46 am »

LIGHT Tripod System for an Old Guy

It threatens spring here, eventually, and with the advancing light each day, I want to get out in the woods, but I am getting old and can’t (or don’t want to) carry heavy equipment.

I would like suggestions on the lightest carbon-fiber tripod, the lightest locking head (not ball heads), and of course some kind of Arca clamp.

Right now, the best I have is a Gitzo G 1228 Tripod, the Arca-Swiss Monoball PO, and an Arca (tiny-thin) clamp, with a total weight of this system (minus a camera) is 4.187 lbs. (1.899 KG).

Any suggestions welcome. Don’t bother with ball-head suggestions. I have plenty and don’t use them. I also have the Burzynski ball-head (which does lock), but that is too heavy for this project. This project being getting me in the field.

MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com. Founder MacroStop.com, MichaelErlewine.com, YouTube.com/user/merlewine

Peter McLennan

Re: LIGHT Tripod System for an Old Guy
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2021, 07:23:24 pm »

Afflicted with the same disease (age) I, too welcome input on this topic.

seanjkanderson

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2021, 07:57:52 pm »

I think your requirements of the tripod dictate something more substantive than this option, but Jonathan Griffith of Alpine Exposures actually loves this cheap Sony tripod. His article here.  Likely not convincing, but I find it interesting when thinking about all the shots we miss because we thought we needed all the bells and whistles to be in our pack, and thus we were overweighted and missed the prime shooting locations due to fatigue.

Here's another tripod option, this one from Peak Design, with an impressive form factor in my opinion.

I haven't shot with either of them but find them interesting.
Sean
Time is fleeting | Movement is essential

alan_b

• West Coast Architecture + Interiors Photographer
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2021, 08:03:43 pm »

I can't imagine finding anything with better strength/weight than a RRS TFC 14 and BH-25 (2.87lb).  Yeah it's a ball-head.

Or use a clamp with a small head on it.

Have you explored https://thecentercolumn.com?

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2021, 08:07:31 pm »

I was also going to mention the Peak Design but the other small/light travel tripods I see mentioned on fora is the RRS TFC (Ultralight) models.  The TFC-24 is 3.4lb without a head, the TFC-14 is 2.46lb.

I have no experience with these and suggest checking out The Center Column website.  The RRS TFC-14 does well (top position) in the travel tripod section.  Plenty of other light choices between it and the Peak.

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2021, 08:20:22 pm »

I hear you. Thanks.

I have a number of RSS tripods.

For this use, I feel the Gitzo GIGT1545T Carbon Fiber Traveler Series 1
60.2” (8.6’)
Weight  2.34 lb

Is less expensive and will do the job, with the Arca PO Monoball (which locks) and an Arca-Swiss Clamp.

I picked up Gitzo GIGT1545T for $400, used.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com. Founder MacroStop.com, MichaelErlewine.com, YouTube.com/user/merlewine

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2021, 10:34:40 pm »

I have some kind of Benro 4-section carbon travel tripod I got on sale a few years ago from B&H. It's the second Benro and both are getting older. For my travel tripod (and even when I don't need to shoot with long glass) I added a Markens Q3 ball head which is basically a down-sized Arca B head and IMO just as well constructed. I think the combined weight is about 3 pounds.

My rig fits in my travel bag and considering the size, I'm not afraid to occasionally use it with a 300 2.8 though that's really pushing it and when I work such larger/longer lenses, I really want to have more height so I'm not bent over.

However, with the newer cameras and lenses with built-in stabilization, I'm finding that within reason, I'm not having to get out the tripod quite as much as I once did. That tech is making it easier and as I age, makes it easier to go shooting especially since I'm not having to lug as much around.

Stabilization isn't fool proof and will take practice but it's allow me not to have to rely upon packing and setting up a tripod quite as often. A tripod is still the best way to go for absolute stability, especially for really long exposure and critical framing and focus, but it's sure nice being able to not have to drag a set of sticks along as much as I once did.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2021, 02:02:10 pm by langier »
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

Simon J.A. Simpson

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2021, 06:55:40 am »

"Benro 4-second carbon travel tripod".  ;D

Hey, that's really quick (damned spell-chucker).

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2021, 02:17:14 pm »

<G>! Auto completion and auto correction ain't necessarily correct...

Anyway, the last Benro I purchased was on sale a couple of years back, I think it was a model close-out...

My first lightweight carbon tripod was one of the Adorama house brands. The price was right but it was a bit too flimsy for me though it did work. I think it was both five-section and a little too narrow of tubes and after getting home I sold it. In the mean timeI found a more substantial, but light weight and compact tripod on the cheap, a Benro close-out and gave it a try and it was much, much more sturdy. I added the Markens head and it made the grade. The only issue is that instead of a two-piece center column like my larger carbon Manfrotto, it came with a stubby and standard-length column.

A few years later I saw that B&H had a close-out on a similar Benro carbon tripod model and I purchased one for a back-up set of sticks that I occasionally use with a fluid-head for doing motion.

I think the close-out was not much more than a simple cosmetic update by Benro and B&H got a deal which was sold out quickly.

There's a lot of light-weight fully capable tripods available, but the good ones are pricy. If you've got the time, keep looking and eventually you'll find what you need on the cheap, otherwise, suck it up and spend the bucks...
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

Paul_Roark

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2021, 11:04:53 am »

Speaking of limiting the photo carrying weight, the ultimate I've found is the Sony a7c with their 28 - 60 zoom.  Don't laugh.  For gallery quality landscape display prints, it does the job.  Note that I'm also a fan of Topaz's Gigapixel AI to take those images' pixels up 2x and do halo-free sharpening at the same time.  Large display prints and light weight are not inconsistent with today's tech.

Paul
www.PaulRoark.com

Manoli

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2021, 11:51:29 am »

Speaking of limiting the photo carrying weight, the ultimate I've found is the Sony a7c with their 28 - 60 zoom.  Don't laugh.  For gallery quality landscape display prints, it does the job.  Note that I'm also a fan of Topaz's Gigapixel AI to take those images' pixels up 2x and do halo-free sharpening at the same time.  Large display prints and light weight are not inconsistent with today's tech.

Paul
www.PaulRoark.com

What size prints are you referring to, Paul, 20x30 and up ?

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2021, 01:21:45 pm »

Not sure what you are shooting with, so not sure what would support it. However, I have the aluminum Peak Design Travel Tripod, and I have handled the carbon version. Like any lightweight tripod, it's a collection of compromises in order to keep the weight down.  They prioritized folded size over everything else, but it is reasonably tall, reasonably supportive and stiff, and has an unusual and tiny built-in ball head (I know, I know) which can be swapped out for a flat platform for your own head. The swap out part is something of a PITA and takes awhile.

I am very comfortable using it with mirrorless gear, mostly Fuji X system. Good luck finding what you need.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

Paul_Roark

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2021, 08:52:46 pm »

What size prints are you referring to, Paul, 20x30 and up ?

22 x 28 - 34" images are my norm.  I do black and white, and they must be sharp throughout.   I like to use the pre-coated, heat activated 24 x 36" foam core for mounting, then framing.

I'm coming from medium format (Rollei twin lens and SL66, among others) Tmax 100, and Leica M9.  Then I moved to Sony a7r's (KoloriVision UT conversion for Leica glass) and now a7c with the stock arrangement.  The little and light a7c and zoom holds up, with the exception that the very corners at 28mm, wide open are slightly soft, but my usual crop cures that issue.  When needed I carry a Leica-M apo 135 f/3.4 on my belt.  I have not tested my Leica WATE (16 - 21mm), but it's retrofocus and should be OK.

Paul
www.PaulRoark.com

Paul
www.PaulRoark.com

Manoli

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2021, 01:01:00 am »

Paul,
Thank you for the feedback. Much appreciated.

M

EinstStein

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2021, 10:40:34 pm »

Tripod and camera bag seem never get right for me.

Now my favorite tripod is Leica tablepod (with the paired ball head).

I use it hand-held to lean on the supporting I can find: wall, tree, rock, etc.. If it is to shoot low angle, I would simply put it in the rock or something. When nothing to lean on, I put it against my chest (vertically). I find it's more stable than completely hand-held.

These work fine except when I need selfie. For selfie, I will try to find someone around and hand him/her my camera.

Oh, when I see people taking selfies, I would ask if I can help them. Very often I get appreciated, and they would ask me if they can help me too.  "     

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2021, 06:12:21 pm »

So far very happy about the new RRS travel tripod with super light head.

Cheers,
Bernard

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2021, 02:29:14 pm »

OK. Here is my first pass on a light field system. It totals out at 5.42 lbs. (2461.3 g). Of course, I may switch things around, but this light enough to travel some distance and not have my body complain.

LIGHT FIELD SYSTEM

11.82 oz (335 g) Laowa 65mm f/2.8 2x Ultra Macro APO - Nikon Z
22.40 oz (635 g) Nikon Z7 II
12.69 oz (359.7 g) LEOFOTO G2 Geared 3D
02.47 oz (70 g) Arca-Swiss Clamp
37.44 oz (2.34 lb, 1061.4 g) Gitzo GIGT1545T Carbon 60.2” (8.6’)

TOTAL
86.82 0z (5.42 lbs 2461.3 g)

« Last Edit: March 01, 2021, 02:46:28 pm by Michael Erlewine »

NikoJorj

• http://nikojorj.free.fr/
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2021, 09:06:29 am »

I'm not sure if this is a fitting answer, but if you want something really lighter, look for an AOKA CMP163CL. It seems that it goes under the alias Oben CTT-1000L at B&H.
Very good finish (definitely not a toy, on par with a good medium-range western tripod), not very high (72cm if you don't use the additional center column, which you shouldn't) and quite light at 350g (12oz?) without head or center column. 3 section legs with twisting (or threading, better said) locks.
It comes with a small ball head, with separate pan and ball locks and a small Arca clamp.
Nicolas from Grenoble
A small gallery

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2021, 09:18:11 am »

I'm not sure if this is a fitting answer, but if you want something really lighter, look for an AOKA CMP163CL. It seems that it goes under the alias Oben CTT-1000L at B&H.
Very good finish (definitely not a toy, on par with a good medium-range western tripod), not very high (72cm if you don't use the additional center column, which you shouldn't) and quite light at 350g (12oz?) without head or center column. 3 section legs with twisting (or threading, better said) locks.
It comes with a small ball head, with separate pan and ball locks and a small Arca clamp.

Thanks! That looks like a usable tripod, although not very high. I may try it out anyway.

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2021, 11:38:49 am »

Checking out the lightest carbon tripod I could find, the Oben CTT-1000L Carbon Fiber Tripod and head, using their tiny head (which is actually very nice), the Nikon Z7 II and the Laowa 65mm lens, weighs in at about 51.82 = 3.20 lbs 

However, the bottom line for me is that although very well made, that Oben tripod is too spindly for my use. It also is not high enough, unless you put on the center column which is not a center column that passes through the top of the tripod plate, but one that screws directly on top of the tripod base, a total no-no for me. I hate columns, but might use an internal one to raise just a few inches. Mostly, I don’t touch columns and store them in a box somewhere, where they have company.

I do like the tiny ball head, which has a carefully numbered (but small) pan base and along with an Arca plate, weighs only 5.3 oz. I am going to keep the tiny tripod and use it for holding diffusers, and use the tripod head when I don’t want to use the Leofoto G2 small geared head in the field, for shots that need more angle, etc. I will carry the small head in my messenger bag in case I need it and swap it out (via Arca plate) with the geared Leofoto G2.

Tiny Head 5.3 Oz  (150.3 g) includes ARCA plate
15.4 OZ (436.6) Oben TRIPOD AND Arca CLAMP

SYSTEM WITH NON GEARED HEAD

15.4 oz (436.58 g) Oben CTT-1000L Carbon Fiber Tripod and ball head
49.62 OZ  = 3.20 lbs (1406.7 G)

SYSTEM WITH GEARED HEAD

12.69 oz (359.7 g) LEOFOTO G2 Geared 3D
02.47 oz (70 g) Arca-Swiss Clamp
17.60 oz (498.95 g) Oben CTT-1000L Carbon Fiber Tripod and head
66.98 oz = 4.18 lbs

The Oben CTT-1000L tripod in both shots, closest one.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up