Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Phaseone IQ3 screen shade?  (Read 844 times)

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Phaseone IQ3 screen shade?
« on: February 21, 2021, 02:49:43 pm »

Hi team,

Shooting the IQ3 in a bright environment a few days ago I realized that the screen was nearly unusable.

Fortunately I was shooting with the XF and not a tech camera which allowed me to achieve a reasonable level of focus (if not perfect).

Is there a recommended shade type that could reduce the problem?

Thank you.

Cheers,
Bernard

Joe Towner

Re: Phaseone IQ3 screen shade?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2021, 03:54:05 pm »

t: @PNWMF

Balafre

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2021, 06:41:23 pm »

Hi team,

Shooting the IQ3 in a bright environment a few days ago I realized that the screen was nearly unusable.

Fortunately I was shooting with the XF and not a tech camera which allowed me to achieve a reasonable level of focus (if not perfect).

Is there a recommended shade type that could reduce the problem?

Thank you.

Cheers,
Bernard

Bernard, remember the huge black cloth that photographers used to disappear beneath while one uplifted arm held a tray of magnesium powder? They're great! Provided your subjects aren't humans you need to interact with, you become one with the subject. It's hard on a summer's day, but nothing beats it! I used to use one when using the HB ArcBody and it was like being in private edit suite :)

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2021, 01:29:08 am »

Just out of interest. Do these backs have hdmi ports?
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2021, 08:24:29 am »

Thanks for the suggestions!

In fact I do have an Ebony dark cloth I use for my 4x5 but hadn’t thought of using it with the back, good thinking!

Cheers,
Bernard

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2021, 09:04:53 am »

A black cloth is definitely the best option if/where it is practical; it provides a nearly complete black out. Our shade shade can't provide anywhere close to the black-out power of putting black cloth over both you and the subject, but still modestly improves the viewing experience and is convenient for situations where a black cloth would be cumbersome or otherwise impractical, and it was designed to take up zero additional room in your pack (by being reversible) and almost no weight (it's carbon-fiber composite material and quite thin).

TLDR:
Black cloth: maximally effective, moderately practical
DT LCD Shade: moderately effective, maximally practical

ben730

• www.benhuggler.com
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2021, 12:41:52 pm »

Why don't you use your two hands. I had never problems with it. Or did you shoot handheld?
Regards,
Ben

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2021, 02:41:06 pm »

The DT hood will only fit the XF if you use the smaller viewfinder. It won’t fit on XF with the standard 90 degree viewfinder. I have one of these not the DT version but one sold directly to me by who I believe was the inventor who made them with a 3D printer. It helps but still can’t remove all the issues of direct sunlight in the LCD. The old truck I have used for years is a black hood or jacket over my head. Or the Hoodman magnifying loupe.

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2021, 06:58:05 pm »

Why don't you use your two hands. I had never problems with it. Or did you shoot handheld?
Regards,
Ben

I did try but it didn’t help. I was in the middle of a snowy landscape on a very bright day. Btwn my eyes accustomed to the level of brightness and the screen hit by the sun I could hardly see anything.

Considering the slow speed of live view refresh it made critical focusing impossible.

My black cloth would definitely have saved the day. The Ebony one is 100% black even in powerful light and has a velcro that keeps if reasonably wrapped around the camera even with some wind.

Thank again.

Cheers,
Bernard

Conner999

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2021, 08:09:26 am »

There's always the Hoodman option.  I've used a black cloth with Hassy H and GFX and it works wonderfully, but a PITA and last resort if a better option can't be found.
Pages: [1]   Go Up