Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 10GBE Network Set up - upgrade  (Read 824 times)

alatreille

• Between the Buildings
10GBE Network Set up - upgrade
« on: February 17, 2021, 01:07:52 am »

Hi all,

I want to upgrade the home office network to 10GBE.
I'm a bit of a networking newbie, but having done a bit of reading, I figure I can work it out okay.

Peripherals I'll currently have and need to connect are:

- 2x desktops with 10GBE cards (Both need access to the two NAS enclosures and the fibre uplink)
 - 1x Synology 1819+ with 10 GBE Card  (Archive NAS)
 - 1x Synology 1513+ (4 ports aggregated)  This is my back up enclosure.
 - 2x Printers
 - 1x Laptop wired.
 - Room other cables to go to wifi extenders etc.[/li][/list]

I've been doing some research and have looked at the Ubiquiti and mikrotik switches.  Both look good.

I'm wondering if people have recommendations and ideas on how best to set this up, or experience with the above suppliers.

Thanks!
Architectural Photographer
http://www.andrewlatreille.com

budjames

• http://www.budjamesphotography.com
Re: 10GBE Network Set up - upgrade
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2021, 08:03:12 am »

I have an iMacPro with 10gbe ethernet built-in. I had Cat6e wires run to my computer on the 1st floor down to the equipment closet in my finished basement. I used the Netgear 10gbe switch to connect my iMacPro to my Synology DiskStation DS-1918+ with 10gbe card and DS-1817 with 10gbe.
Here it he Netgear switch that I use and it works great:
NETGEAR 8-Port 10G Ethernet Plus Switch (XS708E) - with 1 x 10 Gigabit SFP+, Desktop/Rackmount, and ProSAFE Limited Lifetime Protection
It's not cheap, but a worthy investment.
In my office in the basement, I have an 2019 iMac5k I9 with a thunderbolt-connected Sonnet 10gbe ethernet dongle to connect this to the 10gbe side of my network.
The rest of my network, including the router operate on 1gb network and cables.

Regards,
Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography or on Instagram at www.instagram.com/budjamesphoto
Bud James
North Wales, PA [url=http://ww

degrub

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2021, 08:58:28 am »

helpful advice response posted here-
https://www.snbforums.com/

Joe Towner

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2021, 11:29:38 pm »

Couple of different ways to do this:

QNAP QSW switches - I have a QSW-M408-4C at home & a QSW-1208-8C-US running in my data center.  Both just work.

Netgear GS110EMX-100NAS - used for trunking with my DS1817+ before I moved to the M408 above

Looked at the Netgear MS510TXPP more times than I want to count - PoE ports, plus 2.5/5gb ports because it takes a lot to push 10gbE & it has a SFP+ for those devices that need it (or to uplink with a 18" DAC).

Ignore Mikrotik, their stuff is focused on Wireless ISP's.

I do Ubiquiti stuff every day & love it.  Their Unifi gear makes it super easy to have fast reliable connections.  Is the NAS in the same room as the desktops? How close is everything? Do you already have the 10gb cards or do you need to purchase them?
t: @PNWMF

Joe Towner

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2021, 11:34:11 pm »

Most of this stuff still applies as well.

To 10g or not to 10g ...
https://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=123858.0

alatreille

• Between the Buildings
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2021, 12:53:54 am »

Hi Joe,

Thanks for chiming in here.

The NASes are currently in the same room as the computers.  I'd like however to set up so I have the flexibility to have them in another room (if we move in a year or so)

Desktop 1 - 10gbe on mother board
Desktop 2 - needs card
NAS 1819+ - have purchased the M2/10GBE combo for it.

I was looking at the Ubiquiti set up as follows (get's relatively pricey, but I figure this is an every 5-10 year expense)

Dream Machine Pro
UniFi Switch 16 XG
Another Smaller switch

I had a look at the QSW-1208-8C
That looks pretty good!

I don't know much about networking, but am looking forward to learning.

Will look over your other link.

A

Couple of different ways to do this:

QNAP QSW switches - I have a QSW-M408-4C at home & a QSW-1208-8C-US running in my data center.  Both just work.

Netgear GS110EMX-100NAS - used for trunking with my DS1817+ before I moved to the M408 above

Looked at the Netgear MS510TXPP more times than I want to count - PoE ports, plus 2.5/5gb ports because it takes a lot to push 10gbE & it has a SFP+ for those devices that need it (or to uplink with a 18" DAC).

Ignore Mikrotik, their stuff is focused on Wireless ISP's.

I do Ubiquiti stuff every day & love it.  Their Unifi gear makes it super easy to have fast reliable connections.  Is the NAS in the same room as the desktops? How close is everything? Do you already have the 10gb cards or do you need to purchase them?
Architectural Photographer
http://www.andrewlatreille.com

Cem

• Photographs
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2021, 04:11:57 am »

- 1x Synology 1513+ (4 ports aggregated)  This is my back up enclosure.

Only one remark about the port aggregation. It doesn't give you 4x speed on 1 connection (e.g. between one pc and the NAS). It gives you 4x bandwidth so that you can connect 4 pcs and each will get the full 1Gb speed when accessing the NAS.

Joe Towner

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2021, 12:30:08 pm »

Hi Joe,

Thanks for chiming in here.

The NASes are currently in the same room as the computers.  I'd like however to set up so I have the flexibility to have them in another room (if we move in a year or so)

Desktop 1 - 10gbe on mother board
Desktop 2 - needs card
NAS 1819+ - have purchased the M2/10GBE combo for it.

I was looking at the Ubiquiti set up as follows (get's relatively pricey, but I figure this is an every 5-10 year expense)

Dream Machine Pro
UniFi Switch 16 XG
Another Smaller switch

I had a look at the QSW-1208-8C
That looks pretty good!

I don't know much about networking, but am looking forward to learning.

Will look over your other link.

A

Hey Alatreille,

Unless you want to setup a camera or two later, or you want to rack stuff, the regular UDM will work fine. The 16-XG isn't my favorite for this - too many SFP+ ports for fiber or DAC cables. There's a smaller 10gb switch coming soon, I'd hold out for it. That paired with a 16 Lite switch for PoE would fit well no matter how you move things around.

Cem is right, without multi-link in SMB3, 4x 1gb doesn't get you better than 1gbps per client.

eBay has lots of 10gb cards - the SFP+ ones sometimes come with a 6' DAC cable to plug things in (instead of a rj45 network cable).

-Joe
Pages: [1]   Go Up