Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I bought a new camera  (Read 1193 times)

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
I bought a new camera
« on: February 12, 2021, 11:19:28 am »

Yep. To my own surprise really. Traded in my A7Riii at my local camera shop and bought a Sony A7C, silver, with the 28 to 60 kit lens.

Forty two MP traded in for 24. I expect, but haven’t tested it yet, to see better high iso capability and better dynamic range.  Don’t care much about the DR gain, I thought the A7R just fine, but an improvement at high iso would be great.

Focus is loads better that’s for sure. My main camera is an A9 so thats kind of my standard. The A9 is still better. The tracking focus in video is fantastic on the A7c and that’s was my hope. I need that to be very good.

Honestly I never got on with the A7Riii. I haven’t needed the MPs in years and too many compromises made for that pixel count in that camera for my taste. My plan is to look at the A1 at the end of the year and decide if I need it.

I’m happy with the form factor of the little A7c. Seems fine to me. Set it up and mapped the buttons I need to suit how shoot. Simple really. I’m comfortable with the Sony menus.  Kit lens is a tidy little thing and will be useful when hiking and when shooting in dangerous places.

Annoyed it won’t tether with C1 v20. Now I have to upgrade. I need that in the studio. I use C1 only for tethering so wasn’t keen on that upgrade. Seems unavoidable.

I’m flying up to the Namibian border to shoot video and stills of an armoured personal carrier on Monday and Tuesday. Let’s see how that goes with my new equipment. Lots of testing and set up to do in the next two days.
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

SrMi

Re: I bought a new camera
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2021, 11:34:21 am »

Yep. To my own surprise really. Traded in my A7Riii at my local camera shop and bought a Sony A7C, silver, with the 28 to 60 kit lens.

Forty two MP traded in for 24. I expect, but haven’t tested it yet, to see better high iso capability and better dynamic range.  Don’t care much about the DR gain, I thought the A7R just fine, but an improvement at high iso would be great.

Focus is loads better that’s for sure. My main camera is an A9 so thats kind of my standard. The A9 is still better. The tracking focus in video is fantastic on the A7c and that’s was my hope. I need that to be very good.

Honestly I never got on with the A7Riii. I haven’t needed the MPs in years and too many compromises made for that pixel count in that camera for my taste. My plan is to look at the A1 at the end of the year and decide if I need it.

I’m happy with the form factor of the little A7c. Seems fine to me. Set it up and mapped the buttons I need to suit how shoot. Simple really. I’m comfortable with the Sony menus.  Kit lens is a tidy little thing and will be useful when hiking and when shooting in dangerous places.

Annoyed it won’t tether with C1 v20. Now I have to upgrade. I need that in the studio. I use C1 only for tethering so wasn’t keen on that upgrade. Seems unavoidable.

I’m flying up to the Namibian border to shoot video and stills of an armoured personal carrier on Monday and Tuesday. Let’s see how that goes with my new equipment. Lots of testing and set up to do in the next two days.

I would not expect a difference in DR or high ISO capability at the same output size:

PhotonsToPhotos PDR a7C vs. a7rIII

You should be able to see a difference at the pixel level only.

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
Re: I bought a new camera
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2021, 12:32:55 pm »

I think you are most likely correct, particularly with regards to DR. The images look cleaner at very high ISO in my opinion than the A7Riii and are certainly easier to process. As to wether they will look the same at the same output size I don't know. I have been working solidly all day and just couldn’t bring myself to work through the info for which you posted a link but I thank you for the input. I will look at it when I get back from my next shoot on Wednesday.

I certainly am not critical of the A7Riii, it’s a good camera and in some ways, such as the dual card slots, has an advantage over the A7c.

Mostly I will use the A7C commercially for video where it has some clear advantage. I will also use it for personal work such as hiking where it has a small advantage in terms of size. Having used it on one walking trail and in one small commercial job I am happy with my decision so far.
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.
Pages: [1]   Go Up