Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Z camera availability  (Read 1754 times)

John Camp

Z camera availability
« on: February 06, 2021, 01:42:06 pm »

Seems like they've been backordered forever in the US. No new ones on B&H, Samys, Amazon. There are some listed on Amazon but they're all refurbished "like new." Wonder what the hold-up is?

D76

Re: Z camera availability
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2021, 09:37:10 pm »

It seems to vary among individuals.  I ordered a 7II from B&H on October 14, 2020.  It was a kit with a $49 FTZ as part of the deal... and I am still back ordered to this day.  And yet I have found out that a couple of people ordered the very same kit in November, then got it in January.  I have no idea what is going on.  >:(

Peter McLennan

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2021, 10:35:12 pm »

That bodes ill.  I'm this close to a Z6ii. 

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2021, 08:14:52 am »

Strange, it’s in stock everywhere in Tokyo.

Cheers,
Bernard

D76

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2021, 03:56:03 pm »

I made my monthly check, and it's still backordered through B&H:  almost 6 months now.

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2021, 07:03:05 pm »

My second Z6 a couple of years ago was a refurb from B&H. A few hundred cheaper for a second body. Nikon just had a refurb sales recently but really didn't have a need for anything new.

Last year when the Nikon 24-200mm Z lens came out and sounded good, I got on the B&H list. Every two weeks since, it's been backordered. I was lucky to find one from another dealer and just keep the "notify me..."out of curiosity of when Nikon will finally make the lens regularly available not in a kit.

Buying both a shrink-wrapped and refurb Z6 from B&H, I find no issues with either now coming on a couple of years of usage.
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

Peter McLennan

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2021, 12:29:01 am »

My second Z6 a couple of years ago was a refurb from B&H. A few hundred cheaper for a second body. Nikon just had a refurb sales recently but really didn't have a need for anything new.

Last year when the Nikon 24-200mm Z lens came out and sounded good, I got on the B&H list. Every two weeks since, it's been backordered. I was lucky to find one from another dealer and just keep the "notify me..."out of curiosity of when Nikon will finally make the lens regularly available not in a kit.

Buying both a shrink-wrapped and refurb Z6 from B&H, I find no issues with either now coming on a couple of years of usage.

Last week I ordered a Z6ii and 24-200.  In stock and delivery expected within 10 days from the other side of Canada.  This Thursday -  YAY!  I’ve been without a “proper” camera since last summer.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2021, 01:53:59 pm »

The 24-200 has been in stock at BestBuy for a while now. I contemplated buying multiple times, but couldn’t get myself to pull the trigger. As luck has it I managed to scratch the front element on my 24-70 F4 while being in a camera bag on top of a couple EN-EL15b (didn’t have the lens cap on and the hood was reversed, lesson learned), but will likely still wait for the 24-105.

Peter McLennan

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2021, 12:01:44 am »

Armand, I’ve only shot a few test images with the 24-200 in the two days I’ve had it.  Very impressed so far. Sharp and capable as long as you’re willing to accept the laws of DOF/aperture that it presents.  Surprisingly heavy for such a small package.  @24mm, it’s barely longer than the 24-70 f4 S, but is heavier than the Z6ii body.  No handling issues, though.

Good close focus magnification, near zero breathing, excellent colour, very sharp at all focal lengths.  For a do-it-all lens, so far it’s a keeper.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2021, 12:16:03 am by Peter McLennan »

D76

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2021, 01:13:44 pm »

Some good news as of two days ago:  my 7II and a 50 1.2 shipped.  I've had a 70-200 f/2.8 waiting for months.  Now it looks like I'm in business as of this coming Monday.

6.5 months of back order for these items.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2021, 02:17:39 pm »

Armand, I’ve only shot a few test image with the 24-200 in the two days I’ve had it.  Very impressed so far. Sharp and capable as long as you’re willing to accept the laws of DOF/aperture that it presents.  Surprisingly heavy for such a small package.  @24mm, it’s barely longer than the 24-70 f4 S, but is heavier than the Z6ii body.  No handling issues, though.

Good close focus magnification, near zero breathing, excellent colour, very sharp at all focal lengths.  For a do-it-all lens, so far it’s a keeper.

Thanks Peter!

I sense a dichotomy between reviews and real users. The reviews say it's good but the 24-70 F4 is clearly better, while the users say that for most purposes it's very similar, and has the 70-200 as a bonus.
I wish the 24-105 would come out sooner to have a better idea; I'm frustrated with Nikon on this one, both Sony and Canon have their versions out there (good versions also).

Peter McLennan

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2021, 12:18:57 am »

A few dozen more images since the last, Armand.  My opinion of this lens keeps improving the more I use it.  There's very little to criticize. If it's not sharp, it's my fault.
As with the 24-70 F4, the colour rendition is particularly pleasing.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2021, 09:17:16 pm »

Thanks Peter!

I sense a dichotomy between reviews and real users. The reviews say it's good but the 24-70 F4 is clearly better, while the users say that for most purposes it's very similar, and has the 70-200 as a bonus.
I wish the 24-105 would come out sooner to have a better idea; I'm frustrated with Nikon on this one, both Sony and Canon have their versions out there (good versions also).

My guess is that the 24-105 should be announced very soon. I expect it to be f2.8-4 and to be a master piece of optical engineering. It feels like every S lens coming out is better than the already outstanding previous releases.

The same can be said of Sony lenses.

Cheers,
Bernard

armand

• Photos
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2021, 10:40:41 pm »

I hope so Bernard.
Meanwhile I future proofed my m43 kit by getting a Olympus E-M1iii. I already have the 12-100 and with the much better stabilization (5-6 stops vs 1-2 stops, for me) I can get away without a tripod and better results than a full frame in borderline light, if I need a certain DOF for landscapes.
Pages: [1]   Go Up