Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Using a Atomos Ninja 5” as a monitor for the Sony A7RiV  (Read 1029 times)

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
Using a Atomos Ninja 5” as a monitor for the Sony A7RiV
« on: February 01, 2021, 05:42:17 pm »

A problem that I have with the Sony A7rIV is the poor quality of the LCD monitor. So, here is a question: If I get an Atomos Ninja 5” monitor (and recorder) and use it as a monitor instead of the LCD, when I magnify the image for close focus on the A7RIV, will that magnification appear on the Ninja five?
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com. Founder MacroStop.com, MichaelErlewine.com, YouTube.com/user/merlewine

kers

• Pieter Kers
Re: Using a Atomos Ninja 5” as a monitor for the Sony A7RiV
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2021, 06:49:52 am »

A problem that I have with the Sony A7rIV is the poor quality of the LCD monitor. So, here is a question: If I get an Atomos Ninja 5” monitor (and recorder) and use it as a monitor instead of the LCD, when I magnify the image for close focus on the A7RIV, will that magnification appear on the Ninja five?

Maybe you can just connect your televsion with HDMI... and find out the quality of that output.
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2021, 08:59:36 am »

The reason I asked about this is that I did not have the Sony A7RIV, so could not experiment, nor the Atomos Ninja 5, so was looking for someone who was already doing this for answers. It seems for what answers I got here and elsewhere, plus articles I read, that it’s a lot of hassle to get a quality monitor to hang off the camera and then be able to magnify/de-magnify the image as I can do on my Nikon Z7/Z7 II or D850.

What I have come up with is to use the cameras I have and wait for Nikon to come up with something down the road that will fill the bill. I’m sure they will, in time.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com. Founder MacroStop.com, MichaelErlewine.com, YouTube.com/user/merlewine

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2021, 12:52:50 pm »

I have an Atomos Ninja Flame.  I will hook it up to my A7R4 (when I can find the HDMI adapter) and check for you.  Ask any other questions in the mean time.

It's large (thick) and cumbersome though.  I think a mini monitor might be better unless you plan to leave it setup and secured in the studio.

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2021, 01:07:42 pm »

Yes, it works fine.  The Atomos shows the rear LCD screen.  Pics attached at full screen and in 1st mag.  However it doesn't mirror the screen, so the LCD goes black which means you lose touch control (if that matters to you).

Note how large the device is compared to the viewable camera screen showing.  It's a bulky solution.  Very thick as well.  I'd consider a dedicated monitor only if video recording is not required.  Maybe something like a small hd monitor.
https://smallhd.com/collections/on-camera-monitors?product_id=4377650233477&variant_id=31323709898885&product_handle=702-sdi-on-camera-field-monitor

Let me know if you have any other questions.  I can check pretty easily.

I don't get email notification of replies even though it's turned on, so PM me if necessary but I'll check this thread periodically.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2021, 01:28:01 pm by mcbroomf »
Pages: [1]   Go Up