Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best Lenses for the New GFX 100mm S Camera  (Read 6255 times)

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
Re: Best Lenses for the New GFX 100mm S Camera
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2021, 04:26:37 pm »

Rainbow spectrum flare is common with all mirrorless cameras. Very common on 50s and GFX100 and suspect it will be the same with 100s. Very hard if not impossible to remove. Due to reflection from sensor.

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2021, 11:57:35 pm »

I had strong vignetting with the 19 mm and the Novoflex when shifting down.
It's caused by the electronic contact block inside the PC 19.
I can't recommend the Novoflex adapter with the 19 PC-E.

The Hcam DRS shift adapter solves this problem.
The lens is sharp and gives more than 10 mm of shift up or down.
But I find 19 mm on a 44 x 33 sensor very wide and when shifted the things in the corners can look really odd.
I think it should be used more as an "effect" combination or without "things" in the corners...
Regards,
Ben

Thanks for the heads up, I didn't notice the issue in my limited testing.

Cheers,
Bernard

ben730

• www.benhuggler.com
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2021, 03:34:05 am »

Do you mean this, Ben, or do you see other areas as well? https://ln2.sync.com/dl/aabbf13c0/ss6juna8-4iqwkcui-zhhpubz5-jabrgdew

(I tried to include the image here, but was unable to get "Attach:" to work.)

Yes, Magenta in the (out of focus) foreground, green in the (out of focus) background.
The Sigma Art 50 1.4 and the Schneider P1 BR 80 MkI have the same problem.
With Capture One I can't correct it.
By the way, the GF 120mm Macro has also a little bit of this issue while the P1 BR 120 Macro not.

ben730

• www.benhuggler.com
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2021, 06:13:22 am »

Thanks for the heads up, I didn't notice the issue in my limited testing.

Cheers,
Bernard

For those who are interested:
I made a test shot with GFX 50R, HcamDRS, Nikkor 19PC-E, F11, 15 mm shift up.
The Nikkor performs very well. Sorry, I don't have a GFX 100.

https://www.dropbox.com/t/YspECzQPvgX5VvDh

Rand47

« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2021, 07:54:44 am »

I have decided to sell some stuff and order a GFX 100 S medium format camera. I won't have a tone of money for lenses at first. If any of you can,here are my questions?

What is the best all around best-corrected, sharpest, and fast lens for the GFX?

What is the best adapter for mounting NIkon F-mount lenses to the GFX?

Is there an adapter to mount Nikon Z7 lenses to the GFX?

Any other things I need to know?

Thanks.

Michael,

I am fortunate to own most of the GF lenses.  All are excellent and handle the 100 mp well.  The Fuji GF 45 f/2.8 is one of the best/sharpest across the frame, lenses I’ve ever used.  In terms of general utility, I’m finding that I use the GF 45-100 zoom most often.  Its sharpness rivals most prime lenses I’ve used, and the FOV range is very practical for general photography.  The 30mm is excellent, but isn’t enough “better” than 32mm on the 32-64 to warrant foregoing the versatility of the zoom.

I think you’d be very pleased with the quality of any of the GF lenses.  I’d make your purchase decision based on the use-case you envision for the camera.  Be aware that on some of the lenses the rear elements “float” until powered up on the camera.  This can be very disconcerting if you’re not familiar / aware.  Fuji doesn’t do a good job “informing” in the user manuals that this is the case.  Some poor chaps have actually sent lenses back (e.g. the 120 macro) because they thought they were broken.

Rand

Rand Scott Adams

kdowie

• kevindowie.com
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2021, 07:28:49 am »

So there is this guy who goes down to the car dealership and buys a Ferrari. On the way home he stops by the auto parts store to pick up six or eight carburetors for different cars and some adapters because when he gets home he wants to test them to see if any of them work better than the one from Ferrari. He doesn't really drive the car that much, but he sure spends a lot of time out in his garage. So far, the carburetor for the Chevy Chevette can generate 2 more RPM than the one from Ferrari, so he is ecstatic. Twelve months later the guy trades in his Ferrari for the new year's model, and begins testing again. The search for the Holy Grail of carburetors continues. So many carburetors, so little time.
Now assume that the Ferrari carburettor costs almost as much as the Ferrari itself and the owner already has several functional carbs at home.  Then you have the right context.  :-)

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2021, 08:57:12 am »

Is there no difference in sharpness using lenses with different systems due tot differences in sensorglass thickness?
I read it can make a good lens go rather bad.
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

jkiefer2

« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2021, 01:56:02 am »

I owned the 32-64, 23, 50, 110, 120 macro, and 250. All resolve very well with the 100mp sensor.

The 110 and 250 have some magic to their render, and were the lenses I derived the most joy from using - but they are bulky and can wear on you as the shoot unfolds. The 120 has great micro-contrast, but transitions were sometimes a bit hard. The 23 is the most uniformly sharp ultra wide across the frame I’ve owned and has a good bit of vibrancy to it. The two other lenses in my GFX kit were kind of perfunctorily sharp, but not very dimensional for a medium format kit. I never owned one, but I’ve seen a lot of great draws from the 45/2.8 - widely admired by GFX owners for its pleasing render.

Despite the jaw dropping file resolution, nice color, and amazing DR; I sold my GFX kit because minimum focus distance of all GF lenses except the macro was too often too far for me. I was frequently wishing to settle in a bit closer. And the haptics just never connected for me - like having an incompatible dance partner. For landscape, I really needed a closer-focusing more dimensionally rendering 30mm. I rented the 30mm and it put me to sleep, and that’s my favorite focal length.  Bland and flat. If Fuji had offered a better 30mm lens I’d probably still be a GFX owner. In hindsight I should have waited on that lens instead of becoming an early adopter. Oh well.

All-in-all I’d say the results were less exciting to me versus those drawn from my Mamiya 7. In terms of render not resolution. The resolution is outstanding. But to my eye, the GFX tends to draw more like a full frame system than a medium format one and the differences between my Nikon Z and Fuji GFX are less than anticipated.

gkroeger

« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2021, 01:33:34 pm »

So there is this guy who goes down to the car dealership and buys a Ferrari. On the way home he stops by the auto parts store to pick up six or eight carburetors for different cars and some adapters because when he gets home he wants to test them to see if any of them work better than the one from Ferrari. He doesn't really drive the car that much, but he sure spends a lot of time out in his garage. So far, the carburetor for the Chevy Chevette can generate 2 more RPM than the one from Ferrari, so he is ecstatic. Twelve months later the guy trades in his Ferrari for the new year's model, and begins testing again. The search for the Holy Grail of carburetors continues. So many carburetors, so little time.

Not sure how I missed this post last winter, but it made my day today!

bobfriedman

« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2021, 07:45:10 am »

Tried the Nikkor 200/2G VR with the GFX 100s, seems to cover quite well at around f/8.
Bob Friedman
pbase.com/bobfriedman

vulture

« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2021, 06:07:05 am »

Can anyone here give me the flange distance of the GFX 100s?
Thanks

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2021, 09:19:43 am »

Can anyone here give me the flange distance of the GFX 100s?
Thanks

This is the resource I've always used.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flange_focal_distance
G-mount is listed as 26.7mm

vulture

« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2021, 03:48:36 pm »

Thanks Mike!!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up