Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Output Sharpening and Resolution Setting in LR export  (Read 539 times)

thill1111

Output Sharpening and Resolution Setting in LR export
« on: January 29, 2021, 09:19:13 pm »

Does the ppi resolution setting have any effect on how Output Sharpening works in exporting from Lightroom?  I understand that the ppi resolution setting has no effect on the image pixel dimensions, but the does a value of 150 or 300 or leaving it blank make a difference on the result of Output Sharpening?

My understanding is that Output Sharpening is dependent on output size, but it's unclear to me if it's dependent on and a function of the pixel dimension size only or the actual print size which would take into account ppi.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: Output Sharpening and Resolution Setting in LR export
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2021, 09:38:23 pm »

The PPI value has absolutely no effect on sharpening (or for that matter, much of anything useful  ;) ). It's the pixel density that is used not the PPI (resolution) tag.
Export the same image at say 1000 pixels along the long axis but set one for 300PPP, the other at 72PPI, subtract the resulting two files: Identical pixel for pixel.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

thill1111

Re: Output Sharpening and Resolution Setting in LR export
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2021, 11:03:52 am »

The PPI value has absolutely no effect on sharpening (or for that matter, much of anything useful  ;) ). It's the pixel density that is used not the PPI (resolution) tag.
Export the same image at say 1000 pixels along the long axis but set one for 300PPP, the other at 72PPI, subtract the resulting two files: Identical pixel for pixel.

Thanks. That's what I thought.
Pages: [1]   Go Up