Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 153   Go Down

Author Topic: Promising New Coronavirus Vaccine  (Read 107127 times)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: Promising New Coronavirus Vaccine
« Reply #520 on: March 20, 2021, 06:33:05 am »

Given the fact that you can't understand the basic terminology, methodology, or variables involved in vaccine assessment..

That's just a standard smartass technique of the left nuts - question what the definition of "is" is. And condescension. 

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #521 on: March 20, 2021, 07:55:08 am »

WHO can use the $4 billion to purchase the Chinese or Russian vaccines which I wouldn't use to develop my film (much less put into my arms).   But he's not giving away any of our approved vaccines until every last American is vaccinated.  Very generous of him. And very unlike his promises and intent before the election.  Should we start a lie list for Biden as we had for Trump?

Where are the other vaccines actually manufactured? Do we know?
--
Robert

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #522 on: March 20, 2021, 08:52:42 am »

... the Chinese or Russian vaccines which I wouldn't use to develop my film (much less put into my arms).

Why?

Perhaps you should take into account that the American Embassy in Moscow has pleaded with the Russian authorities to get Sputnik, as State Department was apparently unable to provide Pfizer for them.

faberryman

« Reply #523 on: March 20, 2021, 09:19:52 am »

Why?

That has to be a rhetorical question. Surely by now you know why Alan wouldn't use the Chinese or Russian vaccines. I'll give you a hint: it has to do with precious bodily fluids.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #524 on: March 20, 2021, 09:26:09 am »

It may be more a matter of willingness to learn and a modicum of attention in order to achieve a basic level of comprehension. That's not happening and there is no expectation that will change.
Thanks for your advice on life.

sf

« Reply #525 on: March 20, 2021, 12:36:02 pm »

Who the fuck is "sf" to come here anonymously and pontificate?

Who the hell are you to think you can swear at me?

S

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #526 on: March 20, 2021, 01:00:20 pm »

The New York Times has published an interesting piece describing why experts believe the coronavirus vaccine rollout in Europe has been slower than here in the States and in Britain, with reporting from Belgium, Italy, Germany, the United Kingdom, and the United States.

There is no single culprit. Rather, a cascade of small decisions have led to increasingly long delays. The bloc was comparatively slow to negotiate contracts with drugmakers. Its regulators were cautious and deliberative in approving some vaccines. Europe also bet on vaccines that did not pan out or, significantly, had supply disruptions. And national governments snarled local efforts in red tape.

But the biggest explanation, the one that has haunted the bloc for months, is as much philosophical as it was operational. European governments are often seen in the United States as free-spending, liberal bastions, but this time it was Washington that threw billions at drugmakers and cosseted their business.

Brussels, by comparison, took a conservative, budget-conscious approach that left the open market largely untouched. And it has paid for it. . . .

The bloc shopped for vaccines like a customer. The United States basically went into business with the drugmakers, spending much more heavily to accelerate vaccine development, testing and production.

Nevertheless, the Times article points out, "[c]ompared with nearly all the rest of the world, the European Union is in an admirable position" because it should be possible to vaccinate 70 percent of the population by this summer.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #527 on: March 20, 2021, 01:28:30 pm »

The New York Times has published an interesting piece describing why experts believe the coronavirus vaccine rollout in Europe has been slower than here in the States and in Britain, with reporting from Belgium, Italy, Germany, the United Kingdom, and the United States.

Nevertheless, the Times article points out, "[c]ompared with nearly all the rest of the world, the European Union is in an admirable position" because it should be possible to vaccinate 70 percent of the population by this summer.
The portion you quoted below was the results of Trump's Operation Warp Speed.  It would have been nice for the NY Times to mention that.  Of course, they intend to give all the credit to Biden. 

There is no single culprit. Rather, a cascade of small decisions have led to increasingly long delays. The bloc was comparatively slow to negotiate contracts with drugmakers. Its regulators were cautious and deliberative in approving some vaccines. Europe also bet on vaccines that did not pan out or, significantly, had supply disruptions. And national governments snarled local efforts in red tape.

But the biggest explanation, the one that has haunted the bloc for months, is as much philosophical as it was operational. European governments are often seen in the United States as free-spending, liberal bastions, but this time it was Washington that threw billions at drugmakers and cosseted their business.

Brussels, by comparison, took a conservative, budget-conscious approach that left the open market largely untouched. And it has paid for it. . . .

The bloc shopped for vaccines like a customer. The United States basically went into business with the drugmakers, spending much more heavily to accelerate vaccine development, testing and production.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #528 on: March 20, 2021, 01:41:43 pm »

Who the hell are you to think you can swear at me?

S

I can swear at whomever I want (although what I said was not swearing at you, but a rhetorical expression).

However, I am posting under my real name, have been a member here since 2005, and know other members quite well, so I have good reasons not to swear at them. Newbie, anonymous  smart asses, however, get less respect from me.

TechTalk

« Reply #529 on: March 20, 2021, 01:58:33 pm »

A country that has had great success in getting vaccines administered is Chile. They rank third in the world for per capita vaccination behind only Israel and the UAE.

It is not all good news, however. They are currently experiencing a massive spike in cases and hospitals are nearly full.

Chile sets daily record for coronavirus cases even as vaccination drive plows ahead - Reuters - March 20, 2021

https://www.reuters.com/article/chile-sets-daily-record-for-coronavirus-cases-even-as-vaccination-drive-plows-ahead

SANTIAGO (Reuters) - Chile broke its single day record for new cases of the coronavirus on Saturday, health officials said, leaving hospitals on the verge of collapse even as the South American nation races on with a mass vaccination program.

Cases have been ticking up for weeks following the end of the southern hemisphere summer holiday, but soared to 7,084, above the previous high of 6,938 last June, the data shows.

The fast rising caseload has filled critical care wards north to south, leaving Chile with just 198 beds available for new patients. All of the capital Santiago, the economic engine, is in strict lockdown this weekend.

Chile, a comparatively small but wealthy Andean nation, is at the forefront of a global inoculation drive on a per capita basis. It ranks third globally, behind Israel and the United Arab Emirates, for most doses administered per population, according to a Reuters tabulation.

But officials say the holiday infections, the arrival of more contagious variants of the virus and a relaxation of sanitary measures amid the successful vaccination program have prompted a more vicious second wave.

Chile was the first in South America here to begin vaccinating its citizens, with an early shipment of the Pfizer vaccine on Dec. 24.
Respice, adspice, prospice - Look to the past, the present, the future

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #530 on: March 20, 2021, 08:23:14 pm »

I am posting under my real name. . . . Newbie, anonymous  smart asses, however, get less respect from me.

Agree.  Posting political views with a pseudonym really is egregious behavior.

sf

« Reply #531 on: March 21, 2021, 02:32:50 pm »

I can swear at whomever I want (although what I said was not swearing at you, but a rhetorical expression).

However, I am posting under my real name, have been a member here since 2005, and know other members quite well, so I have good reasons not to swear at them. Newbie, anonymous  smart asses, however, get less respect from me.

The necessity for people to use real names seems to have been considered here: https://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=131904.msg1131072#new. I don't see you swearing at TechTalk or jeremyrh (who even uses a stolen comedian's photograph).

The derogatory term "smart ass" is an unjustified attack on me, without any attempt to address my argument.

Some of us, and with good reason, find the typically male resort to comparisons with rape as a supposedly kill-all argument extremely offensive.

S

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #532 on: March 21, 2021, 04:14:06 pm »

... comparisons with rape...

???

P.S. re jeremyrh... while we are often at the opposing political ends, he and I get quite nicely along in PM exchange and would surely enjoy a pint if we ever get together. I also happen to know his real name. But that relationship has been built over time. You, however, started rather aggressively in the very first two or three posts. Perhaps, in due time, we can also get along better. 

jeremyrh

« Reply #533 on: March 22, 2021, 06:12:01 am »

???

P.S. re jeremyrh... while we are often at the opposing political ends, he and I get quite nicely along in PM exchange and would surely enjoy a pint if we ever get together. I also happen to know his real name. But that relationship has been built over time. You, however, started rather aggressively in the very first two or three posts. Perhaps, in due time, we can also get along better.

Drinking a beer with a friend from a different country is looking like a distant dream at this point :-(

TechTalk

« Reply #534 on: March 22, 2021, 01:10:42 pm »

The necessity for people to use real names seems to have been considered here: https://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=131904.msg1131072#new. I don't see you swearing at TechTalk or jeremyrh (who even uses a stolen comedian's photograph).

The derogatory term "smart ass" is an unjustified attack on me, without any attempt to address my argument.

Some of us, and with good reason, find the typically male resort to comparisons with rape as a supposedly kill-all argument extremely offensive.

S

I'm not involved in your argument and don't wish to be dragged into it.

TechTalk

« Reply #535 on: March 22, 2021, 01:16:03 pm »

That's just a standard smartass technique of the left nuts - question what the definition of "is" is. And condescension.

No one is questioning the definition of "is". It's more akin to saying this is an apple and this is an orange and repeatedly receiving a blank stare. You're mistaking condescension with exhaustion from running in circles.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 11:45:30 pm by TechTalk »

James Clark

« Reply #536 on: March 22, 2021, 02:40:36 pm »

..albeit a behavior with a long and distinguished history.

TechTalk

« Reply #537 on: March 22, 2021, 03:04:34 pm »

..albeit a behavior with a long and distinguished history.

A quote from the article you linked...

"As Madison, Hamilton and Jay published the Federalist essays, they protected their identities closely, using the pseudonym “Publius” and denying their involvement to all but their closest associates. Yet some contemporaries quickly and accurately guessed their identities.

Their use of a pseudonym was probably not intended to avoid detection or retribution. Rather, they probably hoped that their pseudonym would focus their readers’ attention on their arguments rather than their personalities."

Of course, They weren't alone in their use of pseudonyms...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_pseudonyms_used_in_the_American_Constitutional_debates

James Clark

« Reply #538 on: March 22, 2021, 03:40:12 pm »

A quote from the article you linked...

"As Madison, Hamilton and Jay published the Federalist essays, they protected their identities closely, using the pseudonym “Publius” and denying their involvement to all but their closest associates. Yet some contemporaries quickly and accurately guessed their identities.

Their use of a pseudonym was probably not intended to avoid detection or retribution. Rather, they probably hoped that their pseudonym would focus their readers’ attention on their arguments rather than their personalities."

Of course, They weren't alone in their use of pseudonyms...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_pseudonyms_used_in_the_American_Constitutional_debates

Indeed.  As an aside, I've recommended it before here (and other places), but 'Infamous Scribblers' is an incredible read for anyone into political media.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 03:43:46 pm by James Clark »

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #539 on: March 22, 2021, 05:27:30 pm »

Some posts submitted by anonymous posters are superior to rushed tripes contrived by posters under real names.

On the other hand, some newbie accounts are obviously fake or troll accounts. Facebook stated that they removed just in the last quarter of 2020 1.3 billion fake accounts.

Facebook Inc (FB.O) said on Monday it took down 1.3 billion fake accounts between October and December and that it had over 35,000 people working on tackling misinformation on its platform.

The company also removed more than 12 million pieces of content about COVID-19 and vaccines that global health experts flagged as misinformation, it said in a blog post.

https://www.reuters.com/technology/facebook-disables-13-billion-fake-accounts-oct-dec-last-year-2021-03-22/
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 153   Go Up