Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 153   Go Down

Author Topic: Promising New Coronavirus Vaccine  (Read 107005 times)

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
Re: Promising New Coronavirus Vaccine
« Reply #500 on: March 19, 2021, 04:13:02 pm »

Yes. In addition, Chris Kern, who started this discussion topic, also brought in the J&J vaccine for discussion. That's the topic "Promising New Coronavirus Vaccine" — Novavax, J&J, perhaps others in trial or rolling out.

It's not uncommon that someone diverts a topic for their own agenda. They then wait for others to take the bait. Their stinky cheese just sits in a trap to promote whatever they would prefer to discuss. I'm not looking to be their mouse.
The title of the thread is Promising New Coronavirus Vaccine.  It should have been labelled Novavax Discovery.  The named title is too open to stay so limited.  How would anyone know it\'s about Novafax?  Until you mentioned it, I didn't know or forgot. 

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #501 on: March 19, 2021, 04:16:11 pm »

The Astrazeneca vaccine has been in the news. Some countries suspended its use because of concerns over it causing blood clots. The European Medicines Agency has deemed it safe, but there is some concern that the public may have lost confidence in it.

https://apnews.com/article/eu-regulator-review-astrazeneca-shot-blood-clot-links-437190969ed016e40bdfcbb4b63fc7a9

The US is going to "loan" 4 million Astrazeneca doses to Canada and Mexico.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-usa-mexico-exclusi/exclusive-u-s-plans-to-send-four-million-doses-of-astrazeneca-vaccine-to-mexico-canada-official-idUSKBN2BA22S
It'll be OK if they don't give them back.

TechTalk

« Reply #502 on: March 19, 2021, 04:22:57 pm »

The Astrazeneca vaccine has been in the news. Some countries suspended its use because of concerns over it causing blood clots. The European Medicines Agency has deemed it safe, but there is some concern that the public may have lost confidence in it.

https://apnews.com/article/eu-regulator-review-astrazeneca-shot-blood-clot-links-437190969ed016e40bdfcbb4b63fc7a9

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-usa-mexico-exclusi/exclusive-u-s-plans-to-send-four-million-doses-of-astrazeneca-vaccine-to-mexico-canada-official-idUSKBN2BA22S

Thanks for the link. Interesting article. I've been following the AstraZeneca story and other vaccines not authorized for use in the U.S. currently.

From the article you linked...

Mexican President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador had requested the vaccine. The administration official said the countries were in touch about the vaccine loan. “We’ve been working through the diplomatic channels,” he said.

Mexico has in recent weeks leaned increasingly on China and Russia to secure vaccines to carry out its inoculation plans.
Respice, adspice, prospice - Look to the past, the present, the future

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #503 on: March 19, 2021, 04:28:54 pm »

Why Johnson & Johnson’s one-shot Covid-19 vaccine is a game changer

March 1, 2021 - The vaccine is very effective — and most importantly, it only requires one shot.

https://www.vox.com/covid-19-vaccine-johnson-and-johnson-coronavirus

Excerpts below...

One big reason to be excited about the new Johnson & Johnson vaccine for Covid-19, which was authorized by the Food and Drug Administration over the weekend for emergency use in the US: Unlike the Moderna and Pfizer vaccines already in use, it requires only one shot for full protection.

That’s a big deal. From a practical standpoint, it means that the new vaccine could really speed up America’s vaccination campaign — certainly more than another two-dose vaccine would. It also fixes a problem that’s long bedeviled medical treatments that require multiple doses: A lot of patients tend to drop off after the first appointment.

“Especially when you’re trying to think about a massive public health program like this vaccine rollout, a single-dose vaccine would have made it much, much simpler” if it were the first to get approval, Amesh Adalja, a senior scholar at the Johns Hopkins Center for Health Security, told me.

Based on research that evaluated compliance with other multi-dose vaccines, patients are really, really bad at getting their second dose. Bad as in, as many as half of patients never do. Studies conducted in both the US and UK on the hepatitis B vaccine — which, like the Covid-19 vaccines, is supposed to have around a one-month period between the first and second doses — found that roughly 50 percent of patients failed to get their follow-up shot within a year after their first.

Maybe the numbers will look better for the Covid-19 vaccines. The stakes of a deadly pandemic are much higher, and perhaps people will react accordingly. But if a significant number of people fail to get their second shots, and the first dose of Moderna’s and Pfizer’s vaccines proves to not be enough, that could doom the prospects of herd immunity, when enough of the population is vaccinated to stop the spread of the virus.

One of the most obvious benefits to a one-shot Covid-19 vaccine is it could dramatically speed up — literally double — the US’s vaccine rollout.

Now imagine that the US manages to get to 3 million shots a day (which no longer seems unlikely). At that rate, two-dose vaccines would get us to herd immunity at the end of the summer, and a one-shot–only approach would get us there before summer. If one-third of vaccines are one-shot versions, we reach herd immunity by mid-summer — leaving the rest of the summer to, hopefully, live much closer to normal than the last year.

But the numbers, at least, demonstrate the potential of a one-shot vaccine like Johnson & Johnson’s. It could speed up the vaccination process in the US by weeks or even months.

With thousands of people still dying every day from Covid-19, that boost could translate to upward of tens of thousands of lives saved.
This article seems like it was written by a guy who owns Johnson and Johnson stock.  First off, Moderna and Pfizer were approved months ago and over 70 million people just in the US have already gotten the earlier shots who are now immuned and adding to the herd immunity.  J&J was just approved. People are just starting to get them.

Second, the argument that so many people aren't;lt getting their second shot is not true.  I'm in a group of old people, the more vulnerable, and no one that I know is not getting their second shot.  Old people are particularly getting their shots because of the danger.  They're fighting to get in line.

Here's an extract from the article you linked to of people taking the two-shot versions. Also, Moderna and Pfizer with just the first of two doses are more effective than J&J's one dose.  The first two are at 95% while J&J is somewhere between 10-20% less effective.  So, I think some balance should be included in your post.

In the first analysis, 88% had completed the series, 8.6% had not received the second dose but remained within the allowable interval, and 3.4% had missed the second dose. The percentage of people who missed the second dose was highest among American Indian/Alaska Natives (5.1%) and people aged 16 to 44 years (4%), according to CDC researcher Jennifer Kriss, and colleagues.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #504 on: March 19, 2021, 04:31:39 pm »

Thanks for the link. Interesting article. I've been following the AstraZeneca story and other vaccines not authorized for use in the U.S. currently.

From the article you linked...

Mexican President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador had requested the vaccine. The administration official said the countries were in touch about the vaccine loan. “We’ve been working through the diplomatic channels,” he said.

Mexico has in recent weeks leaned increasingly on China and Russia to secure vaccines to carry out its inoculation plans.
I thought Biden was going to give other nations some of ours.  Did he lie?

faberryman

« Reply #505 on: March 19, 2021, 04:44:36 pm »

I thought Biden was going to give other nations some of ours.  Did he lie?

I don't know. You could probably look it up on Google if you are interested. Or you could just assume he did. It's up to you.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #506 on: March 19, 2021, 04:52:09 pm »

I don't know. You could probably look it up on Google if you are interested. Or you could just assume he did. It's up to you.
Biden does not intend to give any doses to any other peoples until Americans get their doses.  His campaign promise was a lie.

faberryman

« Reply #507 on: March 19, 2021, 05:08:13 pm »

Biden does not intend to give any doses to any other peoples until Americans get their doses.  His campaign promise was a lie.

What exactly did Biden say during the campaign about sharing vaccine doses with other countries?

TechTalk

« Reply #508 on: March 19, 2021, 05:36:55 pm »

Also of note from the article that you linked is that the AstraZeneca vaccine is not authorized for use in the United States.

"The Biden administration has come under pressure from countries around the world to share vaccines, particularly its stock of AstraZeneca’s vaccine, which is authorized for use elsewhere but not yet in the United States.

AstraZeneca has millions of doses made in a U.S. facility, and has said that it would have 30 million shots ready at the beginning of April. The company’s shares rose slightly after Reuters first reported the news.

The deal to share the vaccine does not affect President Joe Biden’s plans to have vaccine available for all adults in the United States by the end of May, a senior administration official said, and it does not reduce the supply of available vaccine in the United States.
"

It makes sense to loan a vaccine not authorized for use here to our neighbors that are already using it, rather than have vaccine expire sitting on the shelf.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #509 on: March 19, 2021, 05:40:50 pm »

What exactly did Biden say during the campaign about sharing vaccine doses with other countries?
He implied he would rejoin WHO (which he did) and be involved in the world as a partner country that helped out others regarding Covid vaccine.  Giving Astra Zeneca to Mexicans and Canadians, which we can't use, and promising we'll give other good vaccines after all Americans get theirs, doesn't sound like much of a sacrifice.  I wonder what he'll charge them? 

faberryman

« Reply #510 on: March 19, 2021, 05:47:19 pm »

He implied he would rejoin WHO (which he did) and be involved in the world as a partner country that helped out others regarding Covid vaccine.  Giving Astra Zeneca to Mexicans and Canadians, which we can't use, and promising we'll give other good vaccines after all Americans get theirs, doesn't sound like much of a sacrifice.  I wonder what he'll charge them?

I'll ask again. What did he say during the campaign about sharing vaccine doses with other countries that was a lie?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 05:52:22 pm by faberryman »

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #511 on: March 19, 2021, 06:33:37 pm »

I'll ask again. What did he say during the campaign about sharing vaccine doses with other countries that was a lie?
He promised to set up a $25 billion dollar plan to distribute the vaccine when approved.  They were to go to Americans and the rest of the world.  (This was recorded in Jul 8, 2020 obviously before any vaccines were approved. )  Giving away Astra Zeneca which we can't use or waiting until the end of the year after all Americans are vaccinated, which are what Biden is promising now,  does not seem to be in the spirit of help he offered last July.

Of course, back then he was competing with Trump and wanted to show how America will be partners with the world in opposition to Trump's America First motto.  Of course, now that Biden is president, it would be political suicide for him to send any vaccine to others in the world before every last American is vaccinated. So it's become Biden's America First motto.

See 18:35 of this video. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4CLoiA3vfQ

TechTalk

« Reply #512 on: March 19, 2021, 06:50:39 pm »

The first two are at 95% while J&J is somewhere between 10-20% less effective.

I've already posted information on the difference between efficacy and effectiveness of vaccines. They are not the same thing.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/what-is-vaccine-efficacy

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/vaccines/effectiveness/why-measure-effectiveness

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/vaccines/effectiveness/how-they-work

I also posted information on why it's foolish to try to compare efficacy with the limited data from separate clinical trials of different vaccines; conducted at different times; in different places; with different populations; with different protocols; with different virus variants. Only a head-to-head clinical trial designed for that purpose would provide comparative results.

Providing this information to you has had 0% efficacy or effectiveness and the effort has now been abandoned.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #513 on: March 19, 2021, 07:09:56 pm »

I've already posted information on the difference between efficacy and effectiveness of vaccines. They are not the same thing.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/what-is-vaccine-efficacy

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/vaccines/effectiveness/why-measure-effectiveness

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/vaccines/effectiveness/how-they-work

I also posted information on why it's foolish to try to compare efficacy with the limited data from separate clinical trials of different vaccines; conducted at different times; in different places; with different populations; with different protocols; with different virus variants. Only a head-to-head clinical trial designed for that purpose would provide comparative results.

Providing this information to you has had 0% efficacy or effectiveness and the effort has now been abandoned.
The bottom line is that J&J was rated at 75-85% and Moderna and Pfizer were rated at 94-95%.  Which camera would you prefer with similar ratings? 

faberryman

« Reply #514 on: March 19, 2021, 07:11:13 pm »

He promised to set up a $25 billion dollar plan to distribute the vaccine when approved.  They were to go to Americans and the rest of the world.

The COVID relief plan passed earlier this month contained approximately $93 billion for vaccine distribution, testing, contact tracing, surveillance, and the public health workforce. You can read the US vaccine distribution plan on the CDC website.

https://www.hhs.gov/coronavirus/covid-19-vaccines/distribution/index.html

In February, the US pledged $4 billion to the WHO to purchase and distribute vaccines globally.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 07:14:29 pm by faberryman »

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #515 on: March 19, 2021, 07:16:24 pm »

The COVID relief plan passed earlier this month contained approximately $93 billion for vaccine distribution, testing, contact tracing, surveillance, and the public health workforce. In February, the US pledged $4 billion to the WHO to purchase vaccines for distribution globally.
WHO can use the $4 billion to purchase the Chinese or Russian vaccines which I wouldn't use to develop my film (much less put into my arms).   But he's not giving away any of our approved vaccines until every last American is vaccinated.  Very generous of him. And very unlike his promises and intent before the election.  Should we start a lie list for Biden as we had for Trump?

TechTalk

« Reply #516 on: March 19, 2021, 07:28:17 pm »

The bottom line is that J&J was rated at 75-85% and Moderna and Pfizer were rated at 94-95%.  Which camera would you prefer with similar ratings?

Given the fact that you can't understand the basic terminology, methodology, or variables involved in vaccine assessment; there's no point in discussing that topic. As for cameras compared to vaccines—the best vaccine to take is the one that's available at the time—the best camera to capture an image is the one that's available at the time.

faberryman

« Reply #517 on: March 19, 2021, 07:28:37 pm »

And very unlike his promises and intent before the election. 

Again, specifically, what are the promises, and now "intent", he expressed before the election that are not being met with respect to vaccines?

Should we start a lie list for Biden as we had for Trump?

In response to a similar question from you several weeks ago, I suggested that if you wanted to set up a list of Biden's "lies", you were free to do so. You certainly do not need my permission. But hurry; you are already sixty day behind schedule.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 07:53:26 pm by faberryman »

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #518 on: March 20, 2021, 01:26:05 am »

Given the fact that you can't understand the basic terminology, methodology, or variables involved in vaccine assessment; there's no point in discussing that topic. As for cameras compared to vaccines—the best vaccine to take is the one that's available at the time—the best camera to capture an image is the one that's available at the time.
How smart do you have to be to know that a vaccine rated at 94/95% is better than one rated at 75/85%?

TechTalk

« Reply #519 on: March 20, 2021, 02:12:11 am »

How smart do you have to be to know that a vaccine rated at 94/95% is better than one rated at 75/85%?

It may be more a matter of willingness to learn and a modicum of attention in order to achieve a basic level of comprehension. That's not happening and there is no expectation that will change.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 153   Go Up