Pages: 1 ... 120 121 [122] 123 124 ... 153   Go Down

Author Topic: Promising New Coronavirus Vaccine  (Read 108121 times)

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
Re: Promising New Coronavirus Vaccine
« Reply #2420 on: December 10, 2021, 03:15:23 pm »

Wouldn't more recent statistics better reflect the current situation to determine which methods might be working the best?  It might be similar to showing statistics right after Pearl Harbor as to who's winning WWII.  I found this site that compares more recent trends.  Things seem to be trending worse in Europe.
https://graphics.reuters.com/world-coronavirus-tracker-and-maps/

The latest death stats look even worse (for USA). The shown numbers are absolute, so relative figures are around 4:1 or 5:1.
Dec 9 - USA 1088, Canada 24
Dec 8 - USA 1366, Canada 25
« Last Edit: December 10, 2021, 03:18:37 pm by LesPalenik »

Jonathan Cross

« Reply #2421 on: December 10, 2021, 03:17:37 pm »

Or perhaps, more Canadians (and to Jonathan's post those in his country) actually accept data and science despite their political POVs. 

I thought it was a fundamental job of any government, whatever shade, to keep the population safe, whether the aggressor is human or a virus.

Jonathan

Jonathan in UK

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #2422 on: December 10, 2021, 03:44:24 pm »

Rather than calling it Omnicron after the Greek letter, it would have been more appropriately called after the other Greek letter: Xi.
As far as I know, you are the only one calling it "Omnicron." There is no "Omni" in "Omicron," which is the Greek letter.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #2423 on: December 10, 2021, 03:47:20 pm »

As far as I know, you are the only one calling it "Omnicron."
Funneling my inner Klein again:
"No, everyone calls it Omnicron. Everyone knows it is called Omnicron! Nobody cares about Omicron; and it's all political anyway."  ;D
The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter. ‘tis the difference between the lightning bug and the lightning.” - Mark Twain
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #2424 on: December 10, 2021, 03:50:15 pm »

I thought it was a fundamental job of any government, whatever shade, to keep the population safe, whether the aggressor is human or a virus.
Jonathan
It is indeed, sadly, not so much in the USA any more. But Covid-19 is doing it's best to reduce the population largely causing this problem. It is too bad it is taking others with it, and affecting the hero's here: hospital workers and the like.  :'(

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #2425 on: December 10, 2021, 04:06:23 pm »

As far as I know, you are the only one calling it "Omnicron." There is no "Omni" in "Omicron," which is the Greek letter.
You're right.  It's Omicron.  It's all Greek to me.  In any case, Xi would have been easier and more to the point. :) 

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #2426 on: December 10, 2021, 04:08:24 pm »

It's all Greek to me. 
We (and I believe with solid evidence, others) are in violent agreement on that!
Xi would have been easier and more to the point
If Germany gets Omicron under control, is it OK to call it the Klein variant?

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #2427 on: December 10, 2021, 04:08:28 pm »

The latest death stats look even worse (for USA). The shown numbers are absolute, so relative figures are around 4:1 or 5:1.
Dec 9 - USA 1088, Canada 24
Dec 8 - USA 1366, Canada 25
If it wasn't winter, I might move to Canada to be safe.  :)

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #2428 on: December 10, 2021, 04:14:37 pm »

Wouldn't more recent statistics better reflect the current situation to determine which methods might be working the best?  It might be similar to showing statistics right after Pearl Harbor as to who's winning WWII.  I found this site that compares more recent trends.  Things seem to be trending worse in Europe.
https://graphics.reuters.com/world-coronavirus-tracker-and-maps/

One possible explanation for the difference between USA and Canda is that USA vaccination rate is 61% and Canada's rate is 77%.
The other possibility is that in Canada there are fewer churchgoers than in USA, and consequently fewer people are exposed to others in group settings.
Also, eating out in Canada is relatively more expensive than in USA, so fewer people get compromised while going out for a dinner in a restaurant.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #2429 on: December 10, 2021, 04:18:47 pm »

New figures on Omicron cases in USA.

OMICRON VARIANT
The AP Interview: CDC Chief Says Omicron Mostly Mild So Far

More than 40 people in the U.S. have been found to be infected with the omicron variant so far, and more than three-quarters of them had been vaccinated, the chief of the CDC said Wednesday. But she said nearly all of them were only mildly ill.

In an interview with The Associated Press, Dr. Rochelle Walensky, director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, said the data is very limited and the agency is working on a more detailed analysis of what the new mutant form of the coronavirus might hold for the U.S.

“What we generally know is the more mutations a variant has, the higher level you need your immunity to be. ... We want to make sure we bolster everybody’s immunity. And that’s really what motivated the decision to expand our guidance,” Walensky said, referencing the recent approval of boosters for all adults.

She said “the disease is mild” in almost all of the cases seen so far, with reported symptoms mainly cough, congestion and fatigue. One person was hospitalized, but no deaths have been reported, CDC officials said.
https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/coronavirus/the-ap-interview-cdc-chief-says-omicron-mostly-mild-so-far/3441281/

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #2430 on: December 10, 2021, 04:25:07 pm »

One possible explanation for the difference between USA and Canda is that USA vaccination rate is 61% and Canada's rate is 77%.
The other possibility is that in Canada there are fewer churchgoers than in USA, and consequently fewer people are exposed to others in group settings.
Also, eating out in Canada is relatively more expensive than in USA, so fewer people get compromised while going out for a dinner in a restaurant.
The weather's been nicer and warmer lately for this time of year, at least in the US. So people are getting out more.  How's it been up there?  My wife's been suggesting a vacation in Florida in February.  I'd hate flying with a mask.  But I suppose I can do it for three hours.  She must be getting really stir crazy for her to recommend it.  She still hasn't joined me in eating out yet.  So she must be getting desperate. 

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #2431 on: December 10, 2021, 04:45:03 pm »

The weather's been nicer and warmer lately for this time of year, at least in the US. So people are getting out more.  How's it been up there?  My wife's been suggesting a vacation in Florida in February.  I'd hate flying with a mask.  Bud t I suppose I can do it for three hours.  She must be getting really stir crazy for her to recommend it.  She still hasn't joined me in eating out yet.  So she must be getting desperate.

The last few years the winters in Ontario have been milder than in previous years, We had some snow earlier this week, but it pretty much disappeared by now. Last month, after almost two years USA allowed finally driving through the border from Canada, but it is still a hassle to travel. Not to mention the covid risk and greater expense. It might make more sense to buy thermal underwear, fur hat and a warm coat and stay here.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #2432 on: December 10, 2021, 05:04:05 pm »

The last few years the winters in Ontario have been milder than in previous years, We had some snow earlier this week, but it pretty much disappeared by now. Last month, after almost two years USA allowed finally driving through the border from Canada, but it is still a hassle to travel. Not to mention the covid risk and greater expense. It might make more sense to buy thermal underwear, fur hat and a warm coat and stay here.
I suggested the Bahamas rather than Florida since the latter can sometimes be cold in the winter.  The Caribbean tends to stay warmer even then.   But then, she said that's foreign.  Who knows if we'd get stuck with some new rule to get tested to get back into the USA.  We might have to divert to cold Canada.  And we wouldn't have taken our fur hats. 

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #2433 on: December 10, 2021, 05:45:03 pm »

OMICRON VARIANT
The AP Interview: CDC Chief Says Omicron Mostly Mild So Far
Meanwhile, reality and facts:
Delta continues to be dominant with over 99% of COVID-19 cases in the US -- a current average of about 103,800 cases per day and 1,100 deaths per day, CDC Chief  said Tuesday.

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #2434 on: December 10, 2021, 06:26:46 pm »

I suggested the Bahamas rather than Florida since the latter can sometimes be cold in the winter.  The Caribbean tends to stay warmer even then.

¿What about México?  Friendly, industrious people (you'll never encounter harder workers), generally quite conservative: I'm sure you would fit right in.  ¿Or quizás Cuba?  Excellent medical infrastructure.  Always warm and just a short hop from Florida.

Enlarge your horizons and open your mind.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #2435 on: December 10, 2021, 06:32:47 pm »

¿What about México?  Friendly, industrious people (you'll never encounter harder workers), generally quite conservative: I'm sure you would fit right in.  ¿Or quizás Cuba?  Always warm and just a short hop from Florida.

Enlarge your horizons and open your mind.
Mexico's beautiful as are its people.  Acapulco, Mexico City, Cozumel diving, the Pyramids outside Mexico City, Museo de Archeologico.  Unfortunately, the two vacations I was there, I got Montezuma's revenge.   But that's still out of the country.  What will be the rules for getting back?   Ditto Cuba? Maybe I can afford to buy a used American car there.  Can't get one here.  :)

chez

« Reply #2436 on: December 10, 2021, 06:59:05 pm »

Mexico's beautiful as are its people.  Acapulco, Mexico City, Cozumel diving, the Pyramids outside Mexico City, Museo de Archeologico.  Unfortunately, the two vacations I was there, I got Montezuma's revenge.   But that's still out of the country.  What will be the rules for getting back?   Ditto Cuba? Maybe I can afford to buy a used American car there.  Can't get one here.  :)

Try Dukoral. Have travelled all over without any stomach problems.

Heading to Mexico in Feb and was planning on Hawaii in April, but most likely cancel as costs there have sky rocketed lately. Cuba sounds like a great alternative.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #2437 on: December 10, 2021, 07:14:09 pm »

Try Dukoral. Have travelled all over without any stomach problems.

Heading to Mexico in Feb and was planning on Hawaii in April, but most likely cancel as costs there have sky rocketed lately. Cuba sounds like a great alternative.
Thanks for the suggestion.   We did Hawaii cruising for a week plus an extra 4 days in Oahu at a Waikiki Beach hotel.   You might be able to get a good deal with Norwegian Cruise.  I'd still be nervous about Covid.  But if everyone is vaxed up, it may be pretty safe. 

chez

« Reply #2438 on: December 10, 2021, 07:29:52 pm »

Thanks for the suggestion.   We did Hawaii cruising for a week plus an extra 4 days in Oahu at a Waikiki Beach hotel.   You might be able to get a good deal with Norwegian Cruise.  I'd still be nervous about Covid.  But if everyone is vaxed up, it may be pretty safe.

Cruising is not my thing. I typically rent either a house or condo on Kauai and drive to different places. Cost of a car rental for 2 weeks is about $2,500. I rented a car in Croatia for 20 days for $245.

marvpelkey

« Reply #2439 on: December 10, 2021, 07:46:19 pm »

Thought I might make a couple comments as Mr Klein (jokingly) referenced moving to Canada.

The day of the opening (Nov 8) for S/B land travel from Canada to US, the wife and I headed down, by car, to Denver Co. Made sure all our Covid vaccination documents were in order to prove double-vaccination.

Arrived to the border where it was completely vacant, save for a single border agent. Took a quick look at our Nexus cards and waved us through, wishing us a great trip. Absolutely no mention/request of vaccination proof.

As we drove farther east/south, the use of masks and other protocols began disappearing. Wa. state was OK, Oregon a wee bit less so and by the time we reached Denver, I would estimate only about 5-ish percent of the people exhibited any form of protection. rarely was there any sign of Covid protocols and few wore masks. This included no masks by hotel and restaurant staff. In fact, the most egregious was a Build a Bear store which displayed signage requesting masks, social distancing and limiting customers to safe number (can't recall the exact number, off hand). The staff all wore masks but none of the customers did, the store was well above safe numbers (probably even for fire regulations) and everyone, including a large number of children, were crammed shoulder to shoulder. Quite shocking actually.

Returning across the border, we were required to mask up as we approached the border agent's station (while in our car), went through a third degree questioning (we had obtained a negative test enroute through Idaho, for the crossing) and proof of Covid safety and were even required to perform a take-home self-test by order of Health Canada (which had to be witnessed via remote conference with a lab staff member within 24 hours of arriving home).

Of note, I asked a hotel front counter staff member about why everyone was not masked up. She, a late twenties-ish lady, stated it was their right not to wear a mask. When I asked about the rights of, as-yet unvaccinated, children and those with medical issues, she just stared at me with a stupid grin.

I found the difference(s) between what I was used to in B.C. and what I experienced south of the border, to say the least, astonishing.

Only my anecdotal observations.

Marv
Pages: 1 ... 120 121 [122] 123 124 ... 153   Go Up