Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Files from Lightroom Mobile to Classic – Help!  (Read 845 times)

Simon J.A. Simpson

Files from Lightroom Mobile to Classic – Help!
« on: January 22, 2021, 08:32:40 am »

I want to accomplish something very simple.

I installed Lightroom Mobile on my iPhone so I can take DNG files using the iPhone's camera and then I want to import them into Lightroom Classic on my iMac for editing.

I have tried using Lightroom’s Cloud  synchronising facility but I ended-up with a mess of duplicated images and Classic endlessly trying to synch.  I turned it off.

The DNG files are on my iPhone.  I can plug my iPhone into my Mac.  I can download JPGs taken using the iPhone's camera app but the ‘Import’ function in Lightroom does not see any of Lightroom Mobile’s DNG files.

I have looked on the internet for help but most articles use synching, and others are incomprehensible to me (or perhaps I just haven’t found the right one yet).  I have fiddled with my phone but I still have not been able to export any files.  Several of the share and export functions on the iPhone want to convert the DNG to a JPG first.  I do not want that.

Something so simple seems so complicated to achieve.  Or is it just me ?

I would really appreciate any help and guidance.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
Re: Files from Lightroom Mobile to Classic – Help!
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2021, 01:02:39 pm »

If you just turn on sync, you shouldn't end up with duplicated images and it's a lot less work than exporting. It is usually that simple. Also you can't access those DNGs directly. So turn sync back on, and investigate where the duplicates - if any - are coming from.

Simon J.A. Simpson

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2021, 04:33:17 pm »

John, thank you for your reply.

There is an added wrinkle which I failed to mention which is that I have now registered Lightroom Classic (in fact all my Adobe applications) under a different Adobe account (for reasons unconnected with this issue).

So, I can log-in to my new account on my iPhone Lightroom CC but what effect will this have on synching ?  Will Lightroom now try to re-synch everything creating an ensuing nightmare ?

BTW, at last count on my ‘old’ account Lightroom Classic was trying (and failing) to synchronise around 40+ files.  Not sure why as there weren't this number of files to synchronise.

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2021, 07:52:17 pm »

I also agree that sync with LR Classic is the best option, however there are ways to export the DNGs, and you can use this option to backup your images in case they get deleted when changing to a different Adobe account.

In the LR mobile app, go to the desired folder and select the images you'd like to export, (clicking on the three dots on the upper right corner - > select). You can even select "All photos" by clicking on the check box on top left.

After you have selected the photos, select "Share"  and then "Export as", and there select "Original". From there you can export them to the "Files" app, or to a shared folder such as google drive. In theory you can also use dropbox, but i only get to export one image at a time with this option.

If you change the Adobe account and it does not keep any previous image, you can reimport them from the location you choose before.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2021, 05:20:23 am »

There is an added wrinkle which I failed to mention which is that I have now registered Lightroom Classic (in fact all my Adobe applications) under a different Adobe account (for reasons unconnected with this issue).
So, I can log-in to my new account on my iPhone Lightroom CC but what effect will this have on synching ?  Will Lightroom now try to re-synch everything creating an ensuing nightmare ?

Simon, the sync process is tied to your Adobe accounts, and there are a few permutations depending on which account you used when you took photos.

Using a web browser you can log into https://lightroom.adobe.com/libraries and this will allow you to see what has been synced to each of your Adobe accounts. From here you can download any originals, and you can then check they are in your catalogue and import them if necessary. Then go back to the browser and delete them from the account. Depending on the number of photos, this may be the best way to go because you would be able to clear down everything in the cloud and start sync all over again.

Also, Adobe keep photos for a year and by using the browser you can freely log into the old account.

Nothing wrong with Franco's advice, but because of your two accounts I think you'll find the above method easier.

BTW, at last count on my ‘old’ account Lightroom Classic was trying (and failing) to synchronise around 40+ files.  Not sure why as there weren't this number of files to synchronise.

This 40+ might consist of originals in Adobe's cloud (ie taken with the iPhone when using the old account) plus any photos/collections and you'd synced from Lightroom Classic so they would be available on your phone.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 03:36:12 pm by john beardsworth »

Simon J.A. Simpson

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2021, 07:54:21 am »

Thank you John and fdisilvestro.

I tried John's method and it has worked well.  It's a bit long-winded but I only ever have a few photographs I want to import into Lightroom (and a lot I don't).

Pages: [1]   Go Up